I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Dec 9, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #2,716 of 3,761
got a X to tryout last night. I have trouble with X displaying song information. some of my songs have chinese, and/or Japanese name which display fine on my other player Clip+, 5800XM but no in the X which look more like the character encoding is absent in the X. anyone with such problem ?

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #2,717 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got a X to tryout last night. I have trouble with X displaying song information. some of my songs have chinese, and/or Japanese name which display fine on my other player Clip+, 5800XM but no in the X which look more like the character encoding is absent in the X. anyone with such problem ?

I encountered such problem too. Some chinese characters (simplified and traditional) cant be displayed, showing square box.

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #2,719 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by progosu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I have no time to read the whole thread, can you just tell me, is X1050 worth to buy? Is it much better than S638 or iaudio i9?

I posted an extensive, detailed comparison between my X and my S738 about 20 pages back, and there have been several other comparisons between then and now. I also have the iAudio 7 but I have never heard the iA9. Whether the X is 'worth it' is a question you really need to ask yourself - we cant make that decision for you.

Dec 9, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #2,720 of 3,761
What transfer speeds do you people get when transferring songs onto your X?

I've got the 32gb and it maxes out at 2Mb/sec (shown by Teracopy). This is pretty slow. This is using drag & drop between folders rather than a media player.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #2,721 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by progosu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I have no time to read the whole thread, can you just tell me, is X1050 worth to buy? Is it much better than S638 or iaudio i9?

I've heard both the X1050 and the S638 head to head, but your post strikes me as a little selfish and lazy so I'm going to make you wonder.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What transfer speeds do you people get when transferring songs onto your X?

I've got the 32gb and it maxes out at 2Mb/sec (shown by Teracopy).

The 16GB I used drove me mad because it took 18 years to put stuff on there. It's worse than my worst USB key...by FAR. For the price paid, it should be hitting 30MB/Sec.

Dec 9, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #2,722 of 3,761
It's ridiculous. This can't be the way it is supposed to work. Can anyone shed any light on this?

FYI Teracopy is a free Windows Copy replacement tool - it's much better than the normal copy, with much more accurate feedback and speeds. Copy your files faster with TeraCopy

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #2,723 of 3,761
Just a heads up guys, I was doing my research and today's offer on Ibood is this the 1050
biggrin.gif
I just bought one
iBOOD.com - Internet's Best Online Offer Daily!

it's 147.90 GBP including shipping yay can't wait to get it!

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #2,724 of 3,761
The X's write transfer rate is 2MB/s and read is 4MB/s. IMO, the 2MB/s the maximum speed if you want to transfer your files TO the X. I am using standard GNU/Linux filesystem copy (cp and sync command) and I always get 2MB/s
smily_headphones1.gif
. Eventhough, the X's claimed as USB 2.0 device (via lsusb command), but the transfer rate is limited by the hardware. But the X is not alone, my Nuvi Garmin 755T GPS also has the similar transfer rate. So, we cannot do anything to accelerate the transfer speed, execpt be patience
smily_headphones1.gif
. As soon I hear the sound, it cures the 'waiting pain'

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #2,726 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_Anonymous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious - but has anyone had the chance to compare the X to the Zune HD?
Any thoughts on the SQ difference between the two?

If you go back several pages in this thread, or do a 'search this thread' for Zune HD, you should get a couple of results that describe the sonic differences
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #2,727 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_Anonymous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious - but has anyone had the chance to compare the X to the Zune HD?
Any thoughts on the SQ difference between the two?

I have and much preferred the X. For reference I preferred the Zune HD to the iPod touch 3rd Gen 32GB model, but the difference wasn't as large as the X. X is the king IMO.

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #2,728 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just ordered one in UK from amazon

Sony X1060 = £192
+ free Sony VRC-NW10 video cradle
- £50 cashback (when I receive it)

all in £142 (well I paid 10 pounds more as I wanted next day delivery)

bargain indeed
smily_headphones1.gif

Ditto, one for me, and one for my cousin.

At this price i consider it a superior sounding dap with quirks, rather then the inferior pmp with great sound.

Slightly worrying though, and not to flame fire or create paranoia, but of the 2 models I received, there definitely was a difference in build quality.

Nothing large, but enough to notice a difference. Too much give in the volume rocker, the hold button not sitting quite flush, the FCC sticker being skewed, and a few other things.

Nothing major, and i noticed by having them side by side. Maybe someone was having a bad day. Needless to say, I kept the good one for myself.

As for the unit ,the superlatives and foibles have been repeated ad nauseaum, buit definitely worth it for the souind, albeit hissy with the wrong combination of iems's.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #2,729 of 3,761
I've had my X for a few days now (a well built one I think)

Pros

(1) Superb SQ - best I've heard from any portable device, it produces such a listenable sound. Closest I've heard a DAP to produce a sound like a CD player, and a warm CD player at that - so even better
smily_headphones1.gif

(2) Lovely warm - but still detailed sound, and very well defined bass

(3) Punchy amp - there is no way the headphone out is underpowered

(4) Build quality is superb, feels solid

(5) GUI for music is OK and quite nice to use

(6) Battery life is superb

Cons

(i) Web-browser - well it works

(ii) Screen I don't like - I prefer my Touch screen - Sony one the colour seems over saturated and maybe even out tonally (things look a bit dark and green cast to them ?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back