I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Nov 11, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #2,522 of 3,761
Hi,for Gapless you could try,for Ripping or converting,dbPoweramp,it can rip 'Track as One'(You would get one big track/MP3 etc file thou,lose individual tracks) or maybe one of other DSP's it can do,silence track deletion,Trim silence etc etc or whatever.Don't know much about it,as i don't play that many Album's were Gapless might be appropriate,or whether i would want Gapless,for me i'm not sure how much it would bother me or whatever ?
Havn't searched/looked much,one thread on dbPoweramp forum thou,might be appropriate threads or links to other SW etc:-

Merged tracks - dbpoweramp

Cheers BOB

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #2,523 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by deusofhearts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably unlikely, but anyone know if these units are moddable to expand the memory?

Can't see why not, Apple have done on go playlist on the Touch i have, just Sony been lazy or just ignorant in thinking people are happy to do playlist on their computers first in folders, then transfer to player.
All they need to do is develop it into the software system.

Would be nice to think we could open up the X and cheat with expanding the memory, but knowing Sony, they have somehow made that impossible to do i imagine, as it safe gaurds their 64gb sales when they release them eventually.
frown.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #2,524 of 3,761
So I came across a little extra cash at the poker table recently, and decided to come over to the dark side. But tell me one thing, is the browser completely worthless? Don't care if it is even close to Touchville, but is it at least usable? I got it on Zon for $335 shipped (open box, only a blemish on an "accessory" but not the main player). Same Sony warranty, same Amazon return policy. In fact, Amazon US is offering MBG until Jan. 31, so that's 70 or so days to try it out, compare it to the A818, etc. I wanted 64GB, and still may return it for a 3G Touch, but this will have to do. Interested in comparing it to my fully burned in Amp3. Also, if Sony releases the A84X lineup to the U.S. within the next two months, if the Sony X sounds is all that via Digital amp, I will return this and pick one of those up, though it doesn't seem likely.

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #2,525 of 3,761
What a surprise, after you rejected it without trying it before. I hope you can give a fair views
smily_headphones1.gif
the browser is just usable enough to browse head- fi, without much bell and whistle. Also texting is quite difficult. Please enjoy it and welcome to the club
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #2,526 of 3,761
Thanks, I will give it an honest appraisal, since I have a long time to returrn it if it isn't what I want. But I expect it will sound very good based on most of the views here. I neer doubted it sounded good, since I do like the A818, but it was the high price and the worthless browser that bugged me. So with that lower price, and the long return window, it was a good time to hear it for myself.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #2,528 of 3,761
Even with the sensitive IEMs, such as UM3Xs, most of the time, my 'nominal' listening volume is around 15-18/30, and can go as low as 10. IMO, this is because, my UM3Xs, and with custom sleeves, do control or attenuate our most sensitive 'listening' frequency range (see loudness curves), which is around 4-7 kHz. A good thing is, you can get a very good DYNAMICs and easier to your ears.

But, if I use the stock buds, the X can be really 'loud' at my nominal volume level.

Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #2,529 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any way of know whether or not your X1060 is volume capped?

I got mine from amazon.co.uk and using IE8s I never need to go above 20 (out of 30).

I believe only the French versions are volume capped. Sony used to volume cap all the European models, even though it was only the French who cared about whether they lost their hearing or not lol
atsmile.gif

But someone bought an X from somewhere that imported them from a French-based store, so it was volume capped. And unlike other Sony's, there doesn't seem to be an X service menu where it can be unlocked.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #2,530 of 3,761
sooz-
Good info about the volume cap... those poor French! I wish there was a service menu for the X. That's one thing I miss from the 829.

Hey, tracking shows the Shadow is in the UK. You should have it in a couple days. I look forward to your thoughts, and hearing if you observe as nice of an improvement on the X's sound as I did. I thought they paired very well together, with great synergy, and I was rather shocked at the way it took the X's strengths to the next level. I didn't hear the same difference with the Mustang. The X/Shadow/S4 rig is a stellar portable setup, which you'll get to hear for yourself very shortly.

Also, I'm growing more and more happy with the X/Rx/780/LO cable by Lil' knight. Now there's some major synergy for a work rig. That amp is really something special with the X.

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #2,531 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, tracking shows the Shadow is in the UK. You should have it in a couple days.

Yes! It's at the International Hub as I type.That was quick!
Now if Parcelfart can pull their collective fingers out, I might actually get it on Saturday!

Quote:

I look forward to your thoughts, and hearing if you observe as nice of an improvement on the X's sound as I did.

I'm very curious to hear this combo too, although I really hope I don't like it. I don't want to have buy the Shadow, although I must admit I'm not averse to stealing yours if push comes to shove
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

The X/Shadow/S4 rig is a stellar portable setup, which you'll get to hear for yourself very shortly.

Plus you sent the LOD for my Touch so I'll have to try out that combo too! The Mustang was great with it, and if the Shadow is even better, then wow! And I've been mega curious about the S4 too, but not curious enough to buy them from the UK at 50% more than the US price
angry_face.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #2,532 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! It's at the International Hub as I type.That was quick!
Now if Parcelfart can pull their collective fingers out, I might actually get it on Saturday!

I'm very curious to hear this combo too, although I really hope I don't like it. I don't want to have buy the Shadow, although I must admit I'm not averse to stealing yours if push comes to shove
ksc75smile.gif

Plus you sent the LOD for my Touch so I'll have to try out that combo too! The Mustang was great with it, and if the Shadow is even better, then wow! And I've been mega curious about the S4 too, but not curious enough to buy them from the UK at 50% more than the US price
angry_face.gif

Heh heh, you can hang onto the Shadow if the Pico Slim comes out really soon, and I like it sound-wise as much, and its form factor and battery life make it equally as good a choice for an uber-portable rig. I'll always need one tiny amp for trips to Asia, as you know. I think the Slim will also be a good match with the X, from what I've read of prototype impressions at shows. One thing's clear though, it takes a rather high end amp to make much of a difference in sound over the X's already fine SQ. If you really like the S4's too, I could very easily get another pair here. Don't worry about the UK pricing.....and in that instance, shipping's already done!

Nov 14, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #2,533 of 3,761
Is there a step-by-step guide for converting normal avi videos (divx/xvid) to something thats compatible on these players? In particular videos running at 432x240 res?

I normally use xilisoft video converter for ipod/psp, but nothing seems to work on this player.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #2,534 of 3,761
I've just purchased and used X1061 a little over two month. From last week the bass suddenly became bloated and next minute I realized that I lost all my volume. No sound below voulme level 6 and needed level 20 for normal listening.

This was unbearable to listen because of massive amount of bass...
I had reset to factory default and also formatted the hard drive and even did a hard reset using the pin. Well, that sort of fixed volume problem but bass is still bloated.

I decided to send the unit back and the support person told me I will be getting the refurbish unit which may have visible scratches and/or non-critical defects (wonder what it means by non-critical) that is after paying $29.99 service charge.

Isn't this freaking ridiculous or what? I paid almost $450 to use it for two month and then pay another 30 bucks to get the crapped up used item!!

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #2,535 of 3,761
MadDog, that sucks. I think Apple also hands out refurbs as replacements for defective units - but there's no way Sony should be charging you a single cent for a service charge. It's still under warranty. Maybe you should speak to someone further up the chain and ask why the hell you're expected to shell out almost $30 for a product that's still in warranty.

Actually, come to think of it, I remember someone else getting a bum unit (it wasn't the X series though), and he was charged the same price for servicing but then got it refunded when it was established the fault wasn't something he'd caused, but a problem with the unit itself. Either way, make sure you kick up a stink about it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back