1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by soozieq, May 14, 2009.
First

Back
158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167
169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178
Next

Last
  1. FortisFlyer75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Thanks, I will pick it up soon for sure....

Also, regarding the dock I just got, I noticed that it introduces distortion on demanding bass notes! I'm really bummed because I love the functionality of the dock. I have the X with +1 on CB, that's it on any sound adjustments. I started hearing it a couple days ago listening to some NIN, and I was thinking, what's that tinny sound whenever a really deep note hits? I thought there's no way the new ALO Rx could be the culprit, its clean power should do much to alleviate something like that. I unplugged the dock and ran my phones straight out of the ALO, and it was gone. So I knew the dock was the culprit. Unfortunately I'm going to have to return it as much of my music is demanding like that. I'm really, really bummed.

Actually i only noticed the other day a distortion thing going on whilst listening to the X on the dock, but i have had no problems with iems distorting and only today managed to borrow my dads old senn HD580's which also are not affected, so it seems to point in the direction of my AKG 702's which are the culprits which some reason distort a bit earlier than they should, even though i do listen to it a tad above average to other people they seemto have a low threshold for some reason.

I am going to just have a closer listen as i have not noticed that problem with my other head gear with the dock so far. I only listen to the X with all the settings off, maybe try what naddy suggested, gotta have all that false filtering crap turned off before you can be sure it's not the dock go crock! ; )

2. Sparky191
    I think I preferred the earlier Muse albums. The new one sounds like they were trying to write a over the top movie sound track in places.

3. FortisFlyer75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I think I preferred the earlier Muse albums. The new one sounds like they were trying to write a over the top movie sound track in places.

The first two albums they done had a pure edgy rock sound to them and the last two have fused a more rock and pop friendlier tune happening thing going on which is what i personally like about them now.

Yes, "The Resistance" album it is reminiscent of a movie soundtrack, i mean one track reminded me of Doctor Who whilst another one had a Bond theme about it, but i think as a band they are evolving gradually, hopefully it does not evolve to far away from what they are doing now as before you know it two albums down the road could end up sounding nothing like the Muse we all know and love, we all know how these creative song writers can be.
    Radiohead is an example for me. Imagine they had managed to keep doing The Bends every time! lol (not literally of course!)

But no, Old Yorkie had to evolve their sound to an extent it was not music for me any more and sounded nothing like The Bends, or Ok computer which had evolved on from The Bends but after Ok Computer really started to change direction all together for me.

I think this "Resistance" album still does enough of the fusing Rock/Pop together to keep most Muse fans happy.

But there is no doubting the front man of Muse has a natural nack for song writting, not sure if this album's style is anything to do with his background maybe as he seems he might be possibly classicaly trained with the voice and style of piano playing he does which might explain The Resistance sound sig.

Combine that with the quality of their live performances they put on, are a tour de force of Rock/Pop at the moment.

For me this is still a good album, albiet it not quite as rock sounding as even the last two albums (which are my personal fav albums they have done) but is still none the less a polished (maybe to polished for some), intilligent album.

Anyway, still sounds bloody good on my X! lol [​IMG]

4. cn11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Actually i only noticed the other day a distortion thing going on whilst listening to the X on the dock, but i have had no problems with iems distorting and only today managed to borrow my dads old senn HD580's which also are not affected, so it seems to point in the direction of my AKG 702's which are the culprits which some reason distort a bit earlier than they should, even though i do listen to it a tad above average to other people they seemto have a low threshold for some reason.

I am going to just have a closer listen as i have not noticed that problem with my other head gear with the dock so far. I only listen to the X with all the settings off, maybe try what naddy suggested, gotta have all that false filtering crap turned off before you can be sure it's not the dock go crock! ; )

Hmmm, well for me I know it's the dock that's introducing the distortion. It's not the Ultrasones or Klipsch S4's. I hear the same sort of tick clipping sound with both phones, and when I remove the dock from the chain, it's gone with both. And with it gone, I can crank it up to ear splitting levels with both and it's nothing but clean, deep hitting goodness in both cases. It's almost like the dock can't handle the clean power from the ALO, or rather that the amp draws too much from it since it has the cradle as an input.

So, next test on Monday will be to just run the phones straight out of the dock/X with no amp, and see if the distortion is still there.

Here are the specs of the dock I got:
    BCR-NWU7 | Walkman® Cradle with WM-PORT | Sony | Sony Style USA

5. Sparky191
    One of muse tracks (not on this albums) is very like a bit in Mission impossible II. That said I think a lots of parts Muse tracks sound similar to other things, but I often thought many tracks sound very like soundtracks. Anyway don't want to derail the thread.

6. chicagojammer
    gonna take a quote from Star Wars here "Stay on target...stay on target!!" haha

7. Canman Contributor
    I've been using the custom eq with 6.3khz and 16 khz set to +1. This seems to help add a touch of brightness to the Koss KSC-35/PortaPro which is a little rolled off in the treble. This allows for lower volume listening too - I can listen with volume set to 12 at home and I don't feel like anything is missing.

8. FortisFlyer75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Hmmm, well for me I know it's the dock that's introducing the distortion. It's not the Ultrasones or Klipsch S4's. I hear the same sort of tick clipping sound with both phones, and when I remove the dock from the chain, it's gone with both. And with it gone, I can crank it up to ear splitting levels with both and it's nothing but clean, deep hitting goodness in both cases. It's almost like the dock can't handle the clean power from the ALO, or rather that the amp draws too much from it since it has the cradle as an input.

So, next test on Monday will be to just run the phones straight out of the dock/X with no amp, and see if the distortion is still there.

Here are the specs of the dock I got:
    BCR-NWU7 | Walkman® Cradle with WM-PORT | Sony | Sony Style USA

I have the NWU5 dock, so not sure what the difference is between mine and the new NWU7 you have, tried checking Sony site, not to great on the specs for comparing them both.

I did notice your models output is stated as 10k ohms, not to sure if that has any bearing on thing's maybe?

I'm also going to do more testing to see if it is my AKG's or maybe even the dock, I have my dads Senn's HD580 at the mo, so i am going to do some more testing to see if it happens with them as well as i only have had a quick listen so far( but seemed ok), then if not then i know at least my dock is okay.

Saying that i had no problems with iem's using the dock with amp, but they are totally different to big cans to drive.

Maybe you just have a dud cradle, i know i am always lucky at getting all the dud/fualty electronics when i get them home! ; )

9. alitarbegshe
    You lot are killing me!

Don't know weather to take the nwz-x1060, or for a lot cheaper price take the a846.

For sure, they've both got the s-master, but no doubt the sound will have been tweaked, for better or worse, that's the gamble.

10. FortisFlyer75
    [​IMG] Quote:

Originally Posted by alitarbegshe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    You lot are killing me!

Don't know weather to take the nwz-x1060, or for a lot cheaper price take the a846.

For sure, they've both got the s-master, but no doubt the sound will have been tweaked, for better or worse, that's the gamble.

Who's killing you?

You pays your money, you take's your choice as they say [​IMG]

11. alitarbegshe
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    [​IMG]

Who's killing you?

You pays your money, you tske's your choice as they say [​IMG]

LOL!

Going with the A-aseries. i think.[​IMG]

12. estreeter
    Long after the price has been forgotten, the quality of the X lives on. Read the thread on the ALO Rx portable amp, reportedly a great little amp, and the posts where they discuss how little difference the amp makes with some IEMs when listening from the X. I tried to go back to my Cowon IA7 on the weekend, just to get some use from the thing, but I missed the power of the X instantly. If Sony would just get off their butts and release firmware to support FLAC, this DAP would be worth every penny. As it stands, they got 95% of it right, IMO.

13. Canman Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Long after the price has been forgotten, the quality of the X lives on. Read the thread on the ALO Rx portable amp, reportedly a great little amp, and the posts where they discuss how little difference the amp makes with some IEMs when listening from the X. I tried to go back to my Cowon IA7 on the weekend, just to get some use from the thing, but I missed the power of the X instantly. If Sony would just get off their butts and release firmware to support FLAC, this DAP would be worth every penny. As it stands, they got 95% of it right, IMO.

Well said, along with FLAC lets get support for gapless as well.

14. animalsrush
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Well said, along with FLAC lets get support for gapless as well.

X2 Gapless will make this player PERFECT ... and on the go playlist [​IMG]

15. FortisFlyer75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    X2 Gapless will make this player PERFECT ... and on the go playlist [​IMG]

...What i'd do for on the Go Playlist's just like my old HD-3&5 had.

First

Back
158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167
169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178
Next

Last