I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Nov 14, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #2,537 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a step-by-step guide for converting normal avi videos (divx/xvid) to something thats compatible on these players? In particular videos running at 432x240 res?

I normally use xilisoft video converter for ipod/psp, but nothing seems to work on this player.

I haven't tried video yet but I copied this comment down in case I decided to download the Xillisoft software. I forgot where I copied it from or who wrote it:

"i found that its option to convert to blackberry mpeg-4 with the bit rates for audio and video set at 112 and 512 respectively worked brilliantly."

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #2,538 of 3,761
X2. The screen on the Zune I first owned cracked very easily, and MS would not even talk about it (not covered). Amazon checked my record (as a customer) and refunded the ENTIRE AMOUNT - 3 months after the 30 day return window. Of course, I bought a new one immediately and it still works fine.

Nov 14, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #2,539 of 3,761
Been listening to the Sony X-1061 for several hours, and out of the box, the most striking feature is its 3D sound characteristics, aka detail and imaging. Very nice and an obvious leap over the A818 SQ-wise. So for SQ, an A.

The interface is good, not great. But will keep using it. Not as easy to use as the Touch, but close enough. I am a real minimalist user, not a lot of button pressing. Just pick a playlist, album, or artist and hit play. So it works on that level just fine.

Using it for video seems a waste of time. Screen is just a tad too small. But I don't use the Zune video much nor did I use the Touch video either. I have a Netbook for that when on the road.

Now, the part that still bugs the crap out of me is the browser/wifi. I knew going it it stunk, but wow, I had no idea. To me, it's pretty much worthless. Spoiled by the Touch, I suppose. How can a company as large and powerful and smart (right?) as Sony blow it this badly? No idea.

Anyway, this has all been said before. On balance the SQ is pretty much the only saving grace and it is a powerful one. I may not end up keeping it, just not sure. Also may check out the Cowon S9 or even the Touch 3G 64GB. Also, waiting on the Hissoundaudio Studio I, which is due out soon (not close to the capacity of the Touch or X, but will be interested in the SQ).

As far as the Amp3/Sony X SQ comparison, I intend on devoting an hour or two to listening to the same tracks with the same phones (grados and S4s) soon, and see what I think. They are already different, I know that. But both have some extremely pleasurable aspects. Guess it just depends on your orientation. Havnig both would be a treat. Just want to hear the Studio I first. The HSA Amp3 has plenty of quirks, but at least they didn't build them into the box by design (as Sony did with this crappy browsing experience).

That's pretty much my review of the X at this late date. It is, as proclaimed, an excellent SQ machine, one many levels. I just wish the 64GB Sony A84X was due out soon here in the U.S. If it sounded like the X, it would be a no brainer, but there is a report from an owner of both that it does not. Bummer.

Nov 14, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #2,540 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a step-by-step guide for converting normal avi videos (divx/xvid) to something thats compatible on these players? In particular videos running at 432x240 res?

I normally use xilisoft video converter for ipod/psp, but nothing seems to work on this player.

I just downloaded the trial version of xilisoft. I converted a divx file to Blackberry MP4 at 320x240 with normal video and audio quality. The screen is small for watching video but the quality is good.

Nov 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #2,541 of 3,761
Following Q involves the X with the JVC Victor FX500's (very kindly loaned by Honeyboy at the moment all the way from Taiwan! thanx
wink.gif
) and the Denon AH-C751's.

The other factor will be the Denon's are on a special @ £79 at the moment.

Also know Soozieq & CN11 have these also - feel free to chip in here if you guys want
wink.gif

I have been listening and growing to the sound of the FX500's in the last two weeks and though not quite there with the sound i am used to with my Shure E500's (dead 3 weeks ago r.i.p.
frown.gif
) and the Senn IE8's not quite the same league as them, but for around $100 they seem a bit of a steal really for the sound they produce.

So how does the Denon 751 compare to the JVC 500's as i know now the FX500's are bass friendly to the extent it wants to sleep with you! it has a nice rounded deep bass that does not seem at all thud, thud, thud. And now i have taken the Comply 400 foamies off and tried a pair of med double flange silicones the treble has sharpened up even more and the soundstage has also opened up. Over all it has this raw upfront sound going on with the FX500's.

With the Denon 751's i have read the bass on that is deep and powerfull also and the highs are good and is done with clarity all at the same time, so really wandering how close the FX500 & 751's are matched.

The FX500's oddly seem not to suit all types of rock music that i have listened to which i found a bit strange, but someting like dance music it excels at and even one track by Rodrigo y Gavriela called Orion suited the FX500's down the ground with a punchy bass coming from the tapping of the guitar in sync with the fret work and the ressonance of the strings verbarating made the ol'e spine shiver!

Vocals are also realistic tonal quality, but at the same time sounding tight, gritty and in your face feeling, like it!

So i am loving the FX500's if they are going to cost less than $100 but with the Denon's on a special price of just £79 will that be to good to turn down also won't it? help!

confused.gif
k701smile.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #2,542 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Following Q involves the X with the JVC Victor FX500's (very kindly loaned by Honeyboy at the moment all the way from Taiwan! thanx
wink.gif
) and the Denon AH-C751's.

The other factor will be the Denon's are on a special @ £79 at the moment.

Also know Soozieq & CN11 have these also - feel free to chip in here if you guys want
wink.gif

With the Denon 751's i have read the bass on that is deep and powerfull also and the highs are good and is done with clarity all at the same time, so really wandering how close the FX500 & 751's are matched.

Some people thought the C751 highs were 'too high'... but I loved them. I also enjoyed the bass a lot. From memory, I would say that guitars and drums were portrayed more realistically with the JVC, and that the treble detail was more pronounced than the C751. I happen to like a lot of treble energy, so that was fine with me.

The mids on the JVC seemed colder and further away to me than the C751, but I don't remember either of them having particularly smooth mids. Maybe Chris can chime in here
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

The FX500's oddly seem not to suit all types of rock music that i have listened to which i found a bit strange, but someting like dance music it excels at and even one track by Rodrigo y Gavriela called Orion suited the FX500's down the ground with a punchy bass coming from the tapping of the guitar in sync with the fret work and the ressonance of the strings verbarating made the ol'e spine shiver!

Oh yeah, Orion, that's a great Metallica cover and it did sound good with the JVC. Diablo Rojo has some insane tapping too. You should check out their new album, 11:11, it's excellent, I think I may even prefer it to their self-titled album.

Quote:

So i am loving the FX500's if they are going to cost less than $100 but with the Denon's on a special price of just £79 will that be to good to turn down also won't it? help!

You might want to ask Duncan too, since he has both the C710 and the JVC (I think he still has both). I can tell you that Rod and Gab sound amazing with the C710, and at $79 you really can't go wrong. If you don't like them, you can easily sell them here. If you want a couple of tracks to test from 11:11, PM me, and I'll send you some
biggrin.gif

Re: the C751/C710 - I prefer the C710 by quite a margin, mainly because the vocals are more forward and much smoother than the C751.

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #2,543 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people thought the C751 highs were 'too high'... but I loved them. I also enjoyed the bass a lot. From memory, I would say that guitars and drums were portrayed more realistically with the JVC, and that the treble detail was more pronounced than the C751. I happen to like a lot of treble energy, so that was fine with me.

I wonder if some of the differences are to do with one been a tree (fx500)and one been a aircraft fusalage (751's)!

Realistic reprodcution of intruments means your halfway there with a sound sig, so i wonder if woody's are better than aluminum for SQ?

The mids on the JVC seemed colder and further away to me than the C751, but I don't remember either of them having particularly smooth mids. Maybe Chris can chime in here
ksc75smile.gif

The one thing i have found as a neg on the fx500's for me is what you have touched upon the mids, i found it did sound in comparison like you had this good deep rounded (rumbling at times) bass with a fairly well clear high end but nothing in between like the mids where not there at times when the bass and treble where both at full tilt, which is what gives it that black and white sound, not quite so musical as say the IE8's or my poor old E500's (rest their bud souls)

Oh yeah, Orion, that's a great Metallica cover and it did sound good with the JVC. Diablo Rojo has some insane tapping too. You should check out their new album, 11:11, it's excellent, I think I may even prefer it to their self-titled album.

Just had the X on shuffle to surprise my in my listening test with the fx500's and orion came on and i thought. wow, amazing how good can sound in a different way from the £250+ iem's.

You might want to ask Duncan too, since he has both the C710 and the JVC (I think he still has both). I can tell you that Rod and Gab sound amazing with the C710, and at $79 you really can't go wrong. If you don't like them, you can easily sell them here. If you want a couple of tracks to test from 11:11, PM me, and I'll send you some
biggrin.gif

Cheers, i will try and give Duncan a nudge as well then, anyone of you guys by what i have read in the past and always concured with it, so is enough to have trust in your pov on the subject with the explanation of SQ and the like
wink_face.gif

Still be interested for CN11's view also though
ksc75smile.gif

Thanks for the offer on 11:11, i was meaning to get it, not got around to it, must be good if you think it is a cut above the last album. If you woul'dnt mind sending a couple of test tracks that you think would give the system a challenge that would be cool, no worrys though if not able to though
normal_smile .gif

Re: the C751/C710 - I prefer the C710 by quite a margin, mainly because the vocals are more forward and much smoother than the C751.

I'm quite liking the change at the moment of a quite raw edgy delivery from the vocals, again sounds not any less than the dearer iem's out there to an extent, just different. Have to take into account obviously (much as i have got hours under my belt in the time) it has been only two weeks with tjhe fx500's and some say it becomes a bit fatiguing, which i am not finding at the moment, maybe six months down the line, who know's? Got another two weeks before they go backto their daddy - Honeyboy
wink_face.gif

Which one is the better all rounder would you say, my guess by what you have already said the woodys with the more realistic reproduction of bass & guitars perhaps?

p.s. sorry for the bold, was not sure how to get each of yor qoutes in those highlighted boxes like you did with my post! Sorry! ; )

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #2,544 of 3,761
Hey FF, as an all-rounder for my own preferences, I prefer the C710 to the JVC mainly because of the vocals. If I only ever listened to instrumental, then maybe the JVC would win out. Choosing between the C751 and the JVC, I would probably prefer the JVC, but the distant vocals would still bug me.

Chris (cn11) can also chime in about the C710 since he has all three, C700/710 and JVC - and he should be getting his copy of 11:11 very soon!! PM me your email address and I'll send you a couple of good test tracks from it. They sound amazing on the X
ksc75smile.gif

As for quoting parts of posts - when you're in the reply box - look at the icons along the top, and depending on whether you're in 'quick reply' or 'advanced' mode - just hover over the icon next to the left of the [size=x-small]#[/size] sign and you'll see: "Wrap
tags around selected text".
Just highlight the part of the post you want to quote... and then click on the quote icon, and you should see the section you highlighted with quotes round it.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #2,545 of 3,761
Hi,been using the C710's exclusively for a while now,they are more friendly with vocals than the FX500's,push vocals more forward in the soundstage also.
Think i will start swapping from C710's to FX500's.Ain't even used RE0's yet,they seem more polite vocal's wise,than both the C710's & FX500's,lot less Bass thou.Bit more laid back listen & prob less foot tapping etc.
I'm so slow getting hours on these things
k701smile.gif
+ do like the C710's,so a comparison,or a spell with the RE0's keeps getting put off.

Cheers BOB

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #2,546 of 3,761
I saw something weird on my sony when it displays Album art along with title. If you load two albums with the same name it merges the two into one and display the album which has highest alphabet priority. What i mean is that if i load tow albums say "Empire - Kasabian" and "Empire - Queensryche". When you go the album view with title. so it merges Queensryche songs with Kasabian songs and displays as "Empire - Kasabian". However if you to artists you can select albums individually. Has anyone experienced this

PC

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #2,547 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw something weird on my sony when it displays Album art along with title. If you load two albums with the same name it merges the two into one and display the album which has highest alphabet priority. What i mean is that if i load tow albums say "Empire - Kasabian" and "Empire - Queensryche". When you go the album view with title. so it merges Queensryche songs with Kasabian songs and displays as "Empire - Kasabian". However if you to artists you can select albums individually.
Has anyone experienced this

PC

Yes, I had the same thing with two 'Greatest Hits' albums. Different artists but same album name, and all the tracks got lumped together in one album. I ended up prefacing each title with the artist's name to keep the tracks separate.

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #2,548 of 3,761
Anyone else have the battery life on their X go down by quite a bit? Mine barely lasts like 14 hours now. Not sure if I should ask Sony for a switch out as I don't want to be without a player for so long.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #2,549 of 3,761
Yes, battery life is crap and the interface is slow. I dont care. I spent a number of hours last night trying every combo I own with my integrated amp, including the Marantz. The end result, from all of my headphones, is that the HP out on the X gives me so much more than anything else. At this point in time, believe it or not, its the single best piece of audio kit I own, modest though that collection may be.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #2,550 of 3,761
^^ Just don't add an ALO Rx amp into the mix! Then the X, aided by the Rx, will be even more difficult to top...
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back