I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Jun 26, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #1,426 of 3,761
Finally got my X in...I put a few quick albums I listen to often on my A728, and I can say the X has bigger sound, better separation, better balance, and its clearer than my A728. Also, I need to listen to listen to my UM3X at a higher volume with the X than I do with my A728. Adjusting the volume is much more noticeable on the X than the A728. I have to spend more time with it and do some A/B'ing, but it's a bit difficult with a half-working pair of UM3Xs. It cuts off on the left monitor randomly, so I have to pinch the cable at the split to keep it from cutting off. I need to send them to Westone already, but I just had to test them with the X before I send them off. I'll also test them with my UM2s and PFEs. So far so good, havent really checked out any of the other features yet.

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #1,427 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by lessblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
soft or hard in terms of protection? looking at cases now, the official cases being sold on eBay are pretty expensive for what they are. is the tuff-love case sold at i-nique a perfect fit and as good as the "official" case?

CKM-NWX1000 official one is a soft silicone case
CKH-NWX1000 official one is a clear hard case

would like to put a screen protector on that won't interfere much with the touch interface, anyone placed one on theirs?

I have the tuff-luv case and it's a perfect fit. The screen protector doesn't interfere with the interface, but the only thing I don't like is that with the screen protector, I noticed a series of hairline scratches. Probably from my fingernails. I just wish it could be less prone to scratches but in fairness, it does its job as it protects the X's screen from scratches.

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #1,428 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice.
smile_phones.gif

RIMG0160-5d119.JPG

RIMG0161-0254a.JPG

RIMG0162-91461.JPG

RIMG0169-3919a.JPG

RIMG0163-0b473.JPG

Wow, that is one impressive machine. There are only two reasons why I will still keep my iPod Classic however. The first is that my iPod has 160GB of storage and the Sony's storage capacity is measly in comparison. The second reason is because I am a design snob, whore, whatever. As great as the Sony is, I hate reading the word "HOME" on the front of the screen. The designers could have left that button blank or used a dot instead.

Jun 26, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #1,429 of 3,761
What about the low frequency response? Several pages before there was somebody posting frequency response measurements and although it was not as bad as other players (e.g. Cowon D2), I find the bass roll-off quite disspointing.

Has anyone checked this / made his/her own measurements? What about the "subjective measurements"
normal_smile .gif
?

In the last weeks I had the chance to listen several times to the X series players in some stores, and I must admit I didn't feel that it was really lacking bass. But it is true that given the listening conditions my opinion might be less relevant.

I have a 639 and I am very pleased of it (gave up listening to iPods and D2 mainly because of the low frequency response issues). In order to have a more relevant comparison between the two, I would like to listen to the same music files - do you happen to know where from I could download the original tracks that come with the X series?

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #1,430 of 3,761
Quote:

Seems to be, it's a tight fit and not too grippy so it may not go out of shape. The quality is really good.
bigsmile_face.gif

Yes the sony branded case is top notch! Really quite dust free also, and I have many critters running around
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #1,431 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by axismundi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the low frequency response? Several pages before there was somebody posting frequency response measurements and although it was not as bad as other players (e.g. Cowon D2), I find the bass roll-off quite disspointing.

Has anyone checked this / made his/her own measurements? What about the "subjective measurements"
normal_smile .gif
?

In the last weeks I had the chance to listen several times to the X series players in some stores, and I must admit I didn't feel that it was really lacking bass. But it is true that given the listening conditions my opinion might be less relevant.

I have a 639 and I am very pleased of it (gave up listening to iPods and D2 mainly because of the low frequency response issues). In order to have a more relevant comparison between the two, I would like to listen to the same music files - do you happen to know where from I could download the original tracks that come with the X series?

The bass sounds better than any other dap I've tried. It's deep warm , but very well defined and detailed. And gets even better with burn in
biggrin.gif
The only ones that give it a run are older irivers/cowon - ifp 795- CW 200, other sonys and the clip/fuze has pretty good bass. But not near as detailed.

You really need a pro audio analyzer to get good accurate measurements.

RMMA is a good guideline, but there is a lot of room for error.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #1,432 of 3,761
Hello fellow X-People
beyersmile.png

I've had my X-Series for just over a month now - lovely machine it is, a considerable step up from my previous S-Series.

Anyway picked up the ProPorta Alu-Leather case in John Lewis yesterday - and it's rather nice, hope nobody minds if I share a few impressions.

I was considering the official sony deal but because I'm left-handed the note-book/binder style could cause me some problems, e.g. - the chance of dropping it when I flip it open. The ProPorta has a flip up style cover that is magnetic and lined with aluminum so it can be easily flipped open with a thumb.

So my case came in a two tone cream and dark brown leather with contrasting stitching and a rather natty pin strip material lining inside. The fit is secure without being too tight.

There a few little niggles - firstly you can't access the hold button, but that might not be a problem considering that the thickness of the leather prevents the exposed buttons from being pressed by accident.

Also the cut out at the top of the case to allow the flap to open over the inserted earphone plug gets caught on anything but right angled designs. Lastly the aforementioned thickness of the leather can make it a little awkward to get proper contact with the bottom of the screen. But these are just little problems.

Overall It's a nice case!

ps - I think I'm with the burn-in believers, it does seem to sound better overtime
beerchug.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #1,433 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No probs, glad to help out
wink_face.gif

Sorry me again.
biggrin.gif

Could you tell me if the BCR-NWU3 is the same as the BCR-NWU5 apart from the X not being able to fit in to the dock?

The reason being is I'm going to pull it apart and fabricate my own dock in the car anyway. I just need the line out bit's n' bobs..

Ta.

Neil.
smile.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #1,434 of 3,761
I was wondering how the Slacker app is (for those in the US)?

How does it work? Does it work when you are not connected to the internet? I read somehwere that it stores the radio and then updates it once you get into a wifi zone? How does that work? Does it stream as regular radio (i.e one continuous file that may start in the middle of a song and end in the middle of another), or does it update with discreet songs?

Also, how many songs can you store from a given station when you are not in a wifi area? Obviously space limits it, but is is it also limited by other constraints?

Thanks,
Nkk

EDIT: Also, how is sound quality over Slacker?

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #1,435 of 3,761
Quote:

Sorry me again.
biggrin.gif

Could you tell me if the BCR-NWU3 is the same as the BCR-NWU5 apart from the X not being able to fit in to the dock?

The reason being is I'm going to pull it apart and fabricate my own dock in the car anyway. I just need the line out bit's n' bobs..

Ta.

Neil.
smile.gif

As far as i know yes (without pulling them apart), essentially it is the same spec wise wth connections at rear all the same down to the voltages been the same sharing the same power transformers so without qouting me for sure!, yes it looks like it is just down to Sony changing their designs with the width of the A82X & X-Series being wider hence they just had to make the dock again to fit the damn thing.

Hope Sony next X-player is not bigger or it will mean another bloody dock!!(NWU7?)

Hope your DIY line out goes well for your car head unit
wink_face.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #1,436 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering how the Slacker app is (for those in the US)?

How does it work? Does it work when you are not connected to the internet? I read somehwere that it stores the radio and then updates it once you get into a wifi zone? How does that work? Does it stream as regular radio (i.e one continuous file that may start in the middle of a song and end in the middle of another), or does it update with discreet songs?

Also, how many songs can you store from a given station when you are not in a wifi area? Obviously space limits it, but is is it also limited by other constraints?

Thanks,
Nkk

EDIT: Also, how is sound quality over Slacker?

Hey. You sign in ur account first then then you put in ur slacker ID number. You only can put in 3 channels on the player itself. Then you connect wireless from your player and hit refresh and it will cache the songs. SQ is remarkable! I didn't expect to sound so good through slacker but it does. You can ban or fav. a song from that channel. I just added the the Michael Jackson Tribute channel. It also has a bio and a review for each artist and album. Good Stuff!

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #1,437 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Photoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey. You sign in ur account first then then you put in ur slacker ID number. You only can put in 3 channels on the player itself. Then you connect wireless from your player and hit refresh and it will cache the songs. SQ is remarkable! I didn't expect to sound so good through slacker but it does. You can ban or fav. a song from that channel. I just added the the Michael Jackson Tribute channel. It also has a bio and a review for each artist and album. Good Stuff!

Does a slacker account cost anything?

And what about when you are not near wifi? What do you mean it puts channels on the player? In that it temproarily saves the songs for you to listen to and then deletes them after it gets new ones for the channel when you go into a wifi area?

And, on the sugject, how does it handle a security encoded wifi (as in your common password on a home network)?

Thanks again,
Nkk

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #1,439 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does a slacker account cost anything?

And what about when you are not near wifi? What do you mean it puts channels on the player? In that it temproarily saves the songs for you to listen to and then deletes them after it gets new ones for the channel when you go into a wifi area?

And, on the sugject, how does it handle a security encoded wifi (as in your common password on a home network)?

Thanks again,
Nkk

You can put in ur password in the wifi setting in the sony.

It's not streaming so if ur not in a wifi area its ok. You have a refresh icon in the Slacker app to touch when you want new or adding channels from the Slacker website . So when you listen to enough songs on the channel you can refresh to get new songs if Avail. Slacker is free but you have only 6 times to skip a song within an hour of each channel. I'm using the 7 day Slacker Plus free trial with no ads or dealing with skips. Before the trial is over if you don't cancel you will be charge 49 dollars but that's for a year.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #1,440 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys. How come the official X-Series has the faux granite looking case and this one here has a beautiful brushed metal case? Are there two different styles of players?

Brushed metal version is the Black Ice model, a Japan-only exclusive. Granite textured is the normal version available worldwide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back