I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Sep 10, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #3,571 of 3,761

Quote:
Been using the X for a long time, until I misplaced it in some bar (along with the phones). I was pissed at myself at first, then felt relief after a while as I started to dig through all the info about other options out there (and I love info... I love options... I love me some new toys!). But then at some point I just stopped. After approx. 13 seconds my route was set to the SonyStore. I just bought another X1060 without any hesitation whatsoever. Too bad I had to wait for another pair of IE8 for a couple of days, but now I'm enjoying my music through X + IE8 again as I write this. iPods (various nanos, classics, touch), Clip+, S9, other Walkmans (S639 and A828) just don't cut it anymore (believe me, I tried). Same goes for phones. It's all about synergy, about chemistry. Between different equipment, and between equipment and your mind. I heard so many people trash IE8 and even the X and still I just felt so good that after so many trials and errors I was able to find what really gets me enjoying what I hear. Doesn't really matter if one player is sonically more authentic than the other. As long as you can't remember a single face while you're walking somewhere with your music, can't think of any annoying noises, the weather, etc. - then just stop looking and appreciate the feeling. Why write all that crap? Because to me, this player is just amazing (and I get to bump the thread which went way down for some reason). Thanks to Sony by the way. If you're still out there looking for a new player, try this one too. And I'm off for a bike ride with my portable, just because I can, and I'm gonna ride reeeeal slow. Signing off.

Ouch! I wouldn't want to lose both my X and ie8s...I'm glad you replaced them, though, and got the sound you want.

I would probably just buy another set of IE8s if I lost mine, but wouldn't replace the X with anything.

Sep 10, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #3,572 of 3,761

Quote:
Been using the X for a long time, until I misplaced it in some bar (along with the phones). I was pissed at myself at first, then felt relief after a while as I started to dig through all the info about other options out there (and I love info... I love options... I love me some new toys!). But then at some point I just stopped. After approx. 13 seconds my route was set to the SonyStore. I just bought another X1060 without any hesitation whatsoever. Too bad I had to wait for another pair of IE8 for a couple of days, but now I'm enjoying my music through X + IE8 again as I write this. iPods (various nanos, classics, touch), Clip+, S9, other Walkmans (S639 and A828) just don't cut it anymore (believe me, I tried). Same goes for phones. It's all about synergy, about chemistry. Between different equipment, and between equipment and your mind. I heard so many people trash IE8 and even the X and still I just felt so good that after so many trials and errors I was able to find what really gets me enjoying what I hear. Doesn't really matter if one player is sonically more authentic than the other. As long as you can't remember a single face while you're walking somewhere with your music, can't think of any annoying noises, the weather, etc. - then just stop looking and appreciate the feeling. Why write all that crap? Because to me, this player is just amazing (and I get to bump the thread which went way down for some reason). Thanks to Sony by the way. If you're still out there looking for a new player, try this one too. And I'm off for a bike ride with my portable, just because I can, and I'm gonna ride reeeeal slow. Signing off.

It's hard to believe this thread is sixteen months old now! But my X is still going strong and I still really enjoy it. As for your IE8/X combo, quite a few people had that at one point. I know dura still does and enjoys it a lot. cn11 and HONEYBOY also had that combo. Actually, I found that the X performed very well with almost any decent earphones, which is a good thing, since I've been through so many
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #3,573 of 3,761

Quote:
It's hard to believe this thread is sixteen months old now! But my X is still going strong and I still really enjoy it. As for your IE8/X combo, quite a few people had that at one point. I know dura still does and enjoys it a lot. cn11 and HONEYBOY also had that combo. Actually, I found that the X performed very well with almost any decent earphones, which is a good thing, since I've been through so many
biggrin.gif

You certainly have been through some phones in the last couple years! Thankfully the X keeps up with anything/everything you run out of it.. 

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #3,575 of 3,761

Quote:
Ha! I could not agree more on this one.

Yeah, it's one piece of gear I've been totally happy with for more than a full year. And the synergy with my Earsonics SM3's is just scarily good. 

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #3,576 of 3,761
Still here on and off.
smile_phones.gif

Mine was bought on the week of release so that's well over a year, it still puts a smile on my face when I switch it on. Sure it has it's faults but the sq more than makes up for them. Used 99% through the car hifi I'd be screw** without it.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #3,577 of 3,761
Good to see the usual suspects on here all enjoying their X walkmans still, i have had mine over a year now with no problem at all only other than i now solely have to use wav files as i got a pair of JH16pros which are out of this world and make the Shure SE530's and Senn IE8's i had sound like sub £100 iems at best in comparison. 

Customs are the way to go for me now and can never go back to universals now as my X unamped has improved a lot with these custom monitors and through a line out and dedicated headamp is sublime. 

Muse on my X was just like it sounded at Wembley Stadium on Friday night for me. The bass, ohhh.... ; ))

When is "a new"  X in a touchscreen coming out with 64gb at least? 
I do not understand Sony's strategy now 'a' day's, it's baffling to say the least. : (

(i don't care for the new A model 64gb with oled screen, just a touch screen model - hmmm, hmmm Sony)

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #3,578 of 3,761
You got JH16 pro's?? I'm sooooooooooooo jealous! Currently my X is paired with the 'lowly' SM3's. 
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #3,579 of 3,761
Quote:
Still here on and off.
smile_phones.gif

Mine was bought on the week of release so that's well over a year, it still puts a smile on my face when I switch it on. Sure it has it's faults but the sq more than makes up for them. Used 99% through the car hifi I'd be screw** without it.
bigsmile_face.gif

Hey Neeley, how's you!! I cracked your cryptic code. You would be 'frocked' without it
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Customs are the way to go for me now and can never go back to universals now as my X unamped has improved a lot with these custom monitors and through a line out and dedicated headamp is sublime. 

Muse on my X was just like it sounded at Wembley Stadium on Friday night for me. The bass, ohhh.... ; ))

When is "a new"  X in a touchscreen coming out with 64gb at least? 
I do not understand Sony's strategy now 'a' day's, it's baffling to say the least. : (

(i don't care for the new A model 64gb with oled screen, just a touch screen model - hmmm, hmmm Sony)

Hi FF. You've really moved up the ladder with the JH16's. I know midoo has the JH13's and is really happy with them. I guess you won't be upgrading for a while... unless the JH32's come around! Congrats though. I bet the combo sounds truly wonderful. What battery life are you getting with only WAV files on the X?

Quote:
cn11 said:

You got JH16 pro's?? I'm sooooooooooooo jealous! Currently my X is paired with the 'lowly' SM3's. 
wink.gif

Chris, stop polluting the thread with your stinkingly cheap and lowly $400 IEM's. Have a bit of class please!!

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #3,580 of 3,761

Quote:
Hey Neeley, how's you!! I cracked your cryptic code. You would be 'frocked' without it
biggrin.gif

Hi FF. You've really moved up the ladder with the JH16's. I know midoo has the JH13's and is really happy with them. I guess you won't be upgrading for a while... unless the JH32's come around! Congrats though. I bet the combo sounds truly wonderful. What battery life are you getting with only WAV files on the X?

Chris, stop polluting the thread with your stinkingly cheap and lowly $400 IEM's. Have a bit of class please!!

Uh oh, I've been sniffed out as a thread-crapper!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #3,581 of 3,761

Quote:
Uh oh, I've been sniffed out as a thread-crapper!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah, a thread-crapper with lowly $400 phones. Could there be anything more distasteful??

Now go and buy the slightly less lowly $1000 FI-BA-SS and report back 
biggrin.gif

And then send them to me to demo.

ksc75smile.gif

Lots of love, your mutually thread-crapping friend.

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #3,582 of 3,761

Quote:
wink.gif

I was of other 13 & 16pro owners whilst i spent 4 months of saving for them whilst reading those appreciation threads was driving me mad, but it is worth the jump and outlay to hear this sort of detail and the beauty of it is they still sound awesome just out of the hp out on the X and do not need a dedicated amp as bee all and end all for these cans, but they do come into their own with a good amp. You know you want to CN11, stop going around in circles with circa $400 iems like i was and just cut to the chase and get a pair of customs ; )

*(you know you will inevitably spend that on three or four iems in the next two years anyway! lol)

Quote:

Yes, it is a move i thought i would never do, but has been worth the outlay and like i hinted to cn11 above i would of only gone around in circles the next couple of years choppping and changing iem's trying to find the type of sound the JHpros can provide. Even the base model by JHA, the JH5 is better than my old Sure E530s where. 

If you don't keep leaving your iems in bars i would say invest in a pair of these all day long as once you hear this sort of SQ you will keep them for a long time and long term they do become cost effective. 

Your in the London area, i highly recommend you pop into Hand Held Audio in Enfield one day and listen to the JHA demo units and you will see the progression starting off from the base model all the way upto theJH13 & 16pros, as well as UE's and Earsonics to consider into the mix also. 

Even with them going back twice for refits which meant the second time getting back down to HHA from Essex for a remold session has been worth the hassle for this amount of detail in sound.  You think you have heard Rodrigo & Gabriella how it should be, think again.......... ; )
Battery life with the X on wav files i am not to sure really as i use it line out on it's docking station when listening to it through my desktop amp so is topping up the charge and in between when off the docking unit is only used for a few hours at a time before it finds it way back on that dock!
Even then it only goes down a quarter on the battery bar level.

I can find out by doing a test and take note if you want, but i can only imagine there is not a lot of difference between that and listening to it with aac or wma files in terms of battery stamina. 

Zoozieg and cn11 go customs, you know you want tooooooo.....

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #3,583 of 3,761

Quote:
Still here on and off.
smile_phones.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

Good to see your X is still going strong in your car Neeley......
Still diy-ing and pimping your car interior now days?

It's frocking good.

Sep 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #3,584 of 3,761
These last few pages sure seems like a veteran reunion! Just checking in to say I still do own and enjoy immensely the IE8 and X. I can probably get some newer toys but am very contented with this setup. This thread does hold some significance to me as it's where my head fi journey began. Isn't it also great that the X is perhaps the only DAP where you type one letter (X) and everybody understands what you're talking about or for those who are truly obsessed XXX? haha. Nevertheless, it's refreshing to see this thread in the "new posts" section after a bit of a hiatus, rather than being bombarded by what new toy can make fire come down from heaven!

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #3,585 of 3,761

These last few pages sure seems like a veteran reunion! Just checking in to say I still do own and enjoy immensely the IE8 and X. I can probably get some newer toys but am very contented with this setup. This thread does hold some significance to me as it's where my head fi journey began. Isn't it also great that the X is perhaps the only DAP where you type one letter (X) and everybody understands what you're talking about or for those who are truly obsessed XXX? haha. Nevertheless, it's refreshing to see this thread in the "new posts" section after a bit of a hiatus, rather than being bombarded by what new toy can make fire come down from heaven!

Same combination here, and same sentiments, loving it and no need to upgrade. Only thing is, after 1,5 years I feel batterylife has diminished, but is still tolerable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back