I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Jan 12, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #2,986 of 3,761
I was an early critic of the Sony X for its ridiculous US price and it's crippled browser. SQ-wise, when I did try one, I found it excellent (just like the A818 I once owned), and when Sony cut the price to $269 with that discount a short time ago, I bought another one.

To back up, I had first paid $335 for an open box special via Amazon, but also bought an S9 for $250 to compare the two. Ended up sending the X back, content with the S9 (for the most part, didn't care much for the poor touchscreen response time, etc.) and the price difference. Then, Sonystyle launched that sale (not sure if it was by design or what. Why lower the price of the 32GB machine to $299 plus 10 percent off but raise the price of the 16GB to $399, which was the raised price on that machine at the time).

Anyway, after all the Sony X "value" debate, I do like it. It does have the best SQ of my DAPs, only exception being when I listen to the Amp3 with my modded Ksc35 or Grado SR-80 phones with well-ripped tracks. But for an out and about DAP, great sound. However, to me, I stand by my early criticism of Sony. This machine is screwed up. Everyone who bought it also had to pay for a crap browser/wifi package. I don't even have my wifi turned on. YouTube and Slacker are worthless to me. Once again, Sony would have had a killer DAP had it just delivered a 32GB (or 16GB) with the X SQ. But I guess that's not what the masses want. Of course, they don't want a supposed Touch competitor that falls flat as a wifi machine either.

I sold my Touch and probably will not get another (I use my HP Netbook for wifi surfing when I am out and about for the most part), but in my view, Sony should have offered two machines when the X came out, one "with" and one "without," so we had a choice. I know they have a machine out in Japan that makes that happen, but is everyone who plunked down $300+ for the X going to buy it too? I doubt it.

Only salvation would be some sort of firmware upgrade with a new browser. Not sure if that can happen though, going by Sony's poor history when it comes to firmware/software updates.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #2,987 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only salvation would be some sort of firmware upgrade with a new browser. Not sure if that can happen though, going by Sony's poor history when it comes to firmware/software updates.

There was a firmware update in Europe which supposedly fixed the browser.

Youtoube is fast and nice with the firmware too.

2 years ago I bought A818 with 8GB of memory for 100GBP. Now I bought the X-1060 for 179GBP. To me it only means one thing - I paid 180% of the A818 for my X but got 400% space. I cannot complain.

I do not care about WiFi, movies, Radio, Youtube etc., because this is a DAP for me, nothing else.

If there was a good DAP with SQ better than X and did not have WiFi and all the junk there I would buy it. There is nothing like that I can think of so I have the X.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #2,988 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there was a good DAP with SQ better than X and did not have WiFi and all the junk there I would buy it. There is nothing like that I can think of so I have the X.

X2.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #2,989 of 3,761
Quote:

2 years ago I bought A818 with 8GB of memory for 100GBP. Now I bought the X-1060 for 179GBP. To me it only means one thing - I paid 180% of the A818 for my X but got 400% space. I cannot complain.

Fair point, and £179 for the X1060 was a cracking deal (I assume you got it from Play.com) but there doesn't seem to be any similar deals around at the moment and I can't see the 32GB X1060 for less than £240 at the moment.

I bought the 16GB A729 for just £65 about 8 months ago. I'd love a 32GB (or better yet 64GB) Sony player but there's no way I'm going to pay 4 times the amount to get twice as much capacity.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #2,990 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by TCD1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair point, and £179 for the X1060 was a cracking deal (I assume you got it from Play.com) but there doesn't seem to be any similar deals around at the moment and I can't see the 32GB X1060 for less than £240 at the moment.

I bought the 16GB A729 for just £65 about 8 months ago. I'd love a 32GB (or better yet 64GB) Sony player but there's no way I'm going to pay 4 times the amount to get twice as much capacity.

I would probably pay the money, but this is a different thing - I'm a geek
darthsmile.gif
and I admit it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #2,991 of 3,761
Don't think it has necessarily anything to do with being a geek. Anyway, I paid $119 for the A818 new and $269 for the Sony X, getting 4X the capacity at a little over twice the price ... worth the wait for me. The Sony X is a very good DAP, but I expected it would be. Down the road, there will be better.

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #2,994 of 3,761
I just wanted to report back regardnig buyin a screen protector for the X.

I ordered the Zagg.com invizible shield for the whole body.

I got it and put it on. My impressions:

Very easy to put on.
Very bad feeling/ touch within the first 72 hours after putting it on.
Great feeling and grip after initial period.

I have been buying screen protectors from major manufacturers like Martin Fields and Brando (two the best I believe) and no I would consider buying the zagg skin a better option.

It may be a bit pricey, but the other options are not cheap either.

I can definitely recommend it!

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #2,995 of 3,761
We want to see pictures, Szadzik!
bigsmile_face.gif
I ordered a PDair screen protector but it has to come from Australia so it will take some time before I'll have it. As I already have a official Sony leathercase the Invisible Shield was no option. Otherwise I'd bought it for sure.

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #2,996 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Who had the 32GB for $269? I thought it was $399?

SonyStyle (US) ran a very weird "sale" in December, where they marked the 32GB X down to $299 and boosted the 16GB version to $399, I kid you not. I saw it with my own eyes. Then, they tossed in a 10 percent discount on the 32GB model, hence the $269 price, which I took advantage of. I had to pay tax, so it was a little higher.

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #2,997 of 3,761
Quote:

Very easy to put on.

I have been buying screen protectors from major manufacturers like Martin Fields and Brando (two the best I believe) and no I would consider buying the zagg skin a better option.

That's really good to hear! I have the Zagg invisible sheet here, but I'm still waiting for the X1060 to arrive. Should be here monday though.

Jan 15, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #2,998 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellen_125 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really good to hear! I have the Zagg invisible sheet here, but I'm still waiting for the X1060 to arrive. Should be here monday though.

You're in for a treat!
biggrin.gif
What phones will you be using them with? Post your impressions here if you will.

Jan 15, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #3,000 of 3,761
Quote:

Very easy to put on.

What is the life expectancy of a invisible shield? Is it the same or more as a normal type of screen protector would you say?

This is the stuff that you sort of paste a sheet to the back and front of your player?

Also can it be taken off easily if for any reason you do not want it on there anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back