I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Nov 1, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #2,446 of 3,761
I've been listening to the X1061 for a few days now. Compared with my iPod 5.5g, the Sony is tonally richer. The most noticable difference is in the bass, where the Sony is more dynamic and textured. The iPod is detailed enough but sounds thin, even boring compared to the Sony. I have been comparing with Koss KSC-35, AT ESW9, and Grado HF2.

As far as features, my favorite addition over the iPod is the FM radio which works very well here in Philly. The You Tube feature works well around wi-fi. This is no pocket computer like the touch but I'm not around wi-fi enough to make the touch worthwhile anyway. As an audio player the Sony is great.

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #2,447 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FortisFlyer, I think you are onto something re the amp on the Touch, and I see this (along with significantly better default EQ) as the big difference between the X and any of its stock iPod competition. Apple really needs to put more time and effort into their digital amp development - with the possible exception of the 3GS iPhone/3G Touch, the SQ seems to fall away with increases in volume - I couldn't get the 3G Touch to anything resembling the volume levels the X is capable of from the HP out.

I thought it was just me, but i always did think that when i got the Touch in the first place which was several months before the X came out, so it not as if the X had clouded my judgment on the Touch as i had those several months to get used to that sound only to be blown away by the X's amp and the SQ quality, iwould say it is the first walkman i have owned where it really does sound like you have a portable hi-fi sound on the go.

I also found the gradual volume steps a bit odd on the Touch and cannot get it usually at the level i listen to when i do listen to it at a higher volume, it seems it is just a bit too low or the next step is a tad too load at the threshhold i normally have it, that might be just me though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening to the X1061 for a few days now. Compared with my iPod 5.5g, the Sony is tonally richer. The most noticable difference is in the bass, where the Sony is more dynamic and textured. The iPod is detailed enough but sounds thin, even boring compared to the Sony. I have been comparing with Koss KSC-35, AT ESW9, and Grado HF2.

As far as features, my favorite addition over the iPod is the FM radio which works very well here in Philly. The You Tube feature works well around wi-fi. This is no pocket computer like the touch but I'm not around wi-fi enough to make the touch worthwhile anyway. As an audio player the Sony is great.

I do not have the 5.5g that you do, but i would agree the X is defanetely more dynamic than the Touch which also makes that seem a bit boring in comparison to listen to after the X sound.

I cannot comment if the new 64gb Touch has any thing different to make the sound better in this new model or if it is just the memory that is the only change, but Apple need to really keep ahead of the bell curve with the sound as it will be only a matter of time with Sony mastering the non SQ side of their new touch screen players and will eventually have a wi-fi userface to match Apple (and also realize they need a apps based system also built in)and no doubt the user interface as good as Sony's first attempt at touch screen is not quite as fluid, natural and flexible than the Touch.

I personally (gut feeling) can also see Sony broaderning their range maybe bringing out two touch screen models with in the next couple of years, one the size of the X is now and maybe a slighlty bigger one to match the screen size of the Touch.

So either way though it is a race to see if Sony can make a all round machine Ipod killer, or Apple raise their game on the SQ front and make a X killer?

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #2,448 of 3,761
thank you very much Fortisflyer for your comparison.just one last question.if i plan to get a LOD and an amp for the touch,will the SQ be better than that of the X or vice versa?

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #2,449 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you very much Fortisflyer for your comparison.just one last question.if i plan to get a LOD and an amp for the touch,will the SQ be better than that of the X or vice versa?

Been a little while since i have listened to the Touch on my LOD actually, but i would say which i mentioned previously is through a lod it is a different beast, hard to imagine it is the same machine to an extent and i would have to say yes it brings it on par with the X, but the sound sig is still a lot different. I would need to do a bit of time listening though wether my opinion would be different if i compared the X through it's dedicated line out vs the Touch lod, which i will do and get back to you on that, as i said been around 2 months since i listened to my Touch through the lod.

So by the looks of it, you are contemplating the X, but not 100% sure as you own the Touch?

If you are only using it at home and you are like you said looking at an amp and lod then by all means stay with the Touch i would say, but if you want it on the go as well outside of home, commuting etc then the Sony is the nearest thing to a portable hi-fi i have heard yet when hooked up to my SE500's or IE8's (now i have good isolation with comply foams!)

All i can add also is despite the X lacking on the wifi userbility side, ommision of apps like the Touch and still having a couple of more of its own issues i am still pleased i got the X as the SQ really is it's saving grace, fortunetely for Sony!

Like i said who will win the race to make the best perfect all round player with no issues for us fussy perfectionist out there that are not jst content on crappy low compressed tunes from the net with crappy little white ipod buds?

Anyway, will get back to you with my comparison on the Touch LOD vs X lineout dock in the next day or two ; )

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #2,451 of 3,761
The included earbuds are the first I have tried that are actually comfortable to wear. They don't sound bad either. The noise canceling works well in the office where there is constant noise from air vent and rumored injection of white noise. There is some low level hiss when no music is playing. I can't hear it with less efficient headphones. Does everyone get some low level hiss with their IEMs and the Sony X?

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #2,453 of 3,761
Im sorry if this has been asked in this thread before, but has anyone compared the X series to the zune HD? I haven't found alot of info on this subject.

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #2,454 of 3,761
I had a lot of hiss with my livewire custom iem's, so bad in fact i even had to set the radio to mono as stereo just made it unbearable. Just recently bought a 75ohm resistor adaptor plug from ebay which has cut out 99% of the hiss with no noticeable loss of SQ, just need to notch the volume up 2 clicks for my normal listening level.

I'd definitely recommenced one to anyone who is bothered with the background hiss.

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #2,455 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im sorry if this has been asked in this thread before, but has anyone compared the X series to the zune HD? I haven't found alot of info on this subject.

I don't have the X Series, but I own the S639. I recently returned the Zune HD due to it's (IMO) lackluster SQ. I compared it to my S639 and iPod 5.5G and the SQ on both just seemed more full and rich. The Zune was excellent in the sound staging, but the volume was severely lacking. The Zune HD is a nice toy, but the X Series (or IMO the S & A Series) are the better choice for SQ alone.

Nov 2, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #2,456 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laokid18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have the Zune HD although it's for sale now
biggrin.gif

It's a nice sounding dap, better than I remember my Zune 80/120 to sound. It beats the X in soundstage width, but can't compete with the 3D feel the X brings to my ears. Compared with the X, the Zune has a much more hazy thicker sound which maybe isn't all that noticeable to people who haven't been listening to the X for five months, like me
tongue.gif

Vocals are slightly further away with the Zune, and the treble sparkle is slightly softer. As for bass, I liked the Zune bass a lot and didn't feel it compared badly with the X at all. Although the X may have more bass quantity, the Zune bass quality is pretty damn good. Having played with it for a couple of weeks, I ended up preferring my X by quite a wide margin. It sounds more natural, open and unconstrained, no matter what volume I go to. The Zune has a pleasant accurate warmish sound with plenty of detail, while the X has a 'wow' sound, plenty of detail and a ton of sparkle and life. The X is just very exciting to listen to!

The Zune screen is a real treat, no doubt about it, but no matter how pretty it is, I found backing in and out of the menus much less user-friendly than the X. I really like the permanent icon at the bottom of the X screen that lets you see all your browsing options in one hit. Plus I prefer the additional hardware buttons on the X too. The Zune was inoperable in my pocket which meant it was only really usable if I was sitting down.

Of course the Zune supports playlist features, gapless and lossless, but no EQ - and the X just supports WAV (which is also gapless) and a very efficient EQ - but features aside and based purely on my own sound preferences, the X squishes the Zune like a bug. Hope that helps a little
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #2,457 of 3,761
As always, a fantastic write up you've done here! I'm sure this will help clarify the SQ issues for a lot of potential owners of either DAP.

Nov 2, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #2,458 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As always, a fantastic write up you've done here! I'm sure this will help clarify the SQ issues for a lot of potential owners of either DAP.

Thanks
icon10.gif

It's a shame the Zune and X couldn't be merged into the Zex, or the Zux lol. My main grievance with the Zune (apart from the fact it wasn't the X!!), was how annoying I found the browsing to be in comparison. When the screen locks (which you can't disable), you first of all have to push the background picture out of the way, then tap the screen to bring up the menus, and then tap again to browse. It's three steps to gain access to one thing.

I'm pretty impatient anyway, so maybe others wouldn't find that as irritating as me. I'm sure if I'd liked the sound as much as the X, I would probably have overlooked it, but I didn't and I couldn't
tongue.gif

The Zune screen is really beautiful though, and the 'history' and 'pins' features are very cool. But at the end of the day I spend maybe 95% of the time listening to music, and 5% looking at the screen and accessing menus etc, so its prettiness was totally wasted on me.

Nov 2, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #2,460 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X is just very exciting to listen to!

The X is bringing back enjoyment to my portable listening. The richness of tone reminds me of some of the classic vintage Sony Discmans. The sound is colored on the warm side of neutral but by no means does it sound thick or bloated. Rather its tight and spacious. I like how its enjoyable at low volume levels. I got so used to pumping up the volume with the iPod in order to get some dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back