I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Oct 20, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #2,431 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitarbegshe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question, aimed mainly towards soozieq and cn11 and others who have paired this with the c710's.

How much of a hiss-fest is this combination? The main reason I gave up on the a818, and stayed away from a829.

Looking desperately to upgrade from a clip, and will have it in my possesion in a few days to evaluate, hoping for great things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there, I can barely even hear hiss during quiet passages, and only if I am specifically listening out for it. It really doesn't bother me at all, and I can't hear a thing once the music is playing.

I'll wait for Chris to post his thoughts, but I know Poppy had the same combo for a while and couldn't tolerate the hiss, so this post probably doesnt help
ksc75smile.gif

X2 on Julie's observations.... I hear it the exact same way. I was listening to the combo earlier today, paying close attention to the amount of hiss I was hearing, and I'd say it's nonexistent during musical passages. It's only in totally quiet spells with no music at the moment that you hear it at all. And for me, it's even barely noticeable in those instances. It's a non issue for me really.....

And man, was this rig sounding great today as I worked. So much energy, and good synergy.

Oct 20, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #2,432 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_Anonymous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OH! LOL
o2smile.gif

Well, since you DID offer...
wink.gif

1) Do you still have the player? Have your opinions changed about the player since you've had it for a while now? (I've only had mine for 2 days, so I'm still in the 'honeymoon' period haha)

2) What headphones have you paired your X with - or are you using the Sony IEMs? (which are pretty darn good, btw!)

Yes I still have the player.
No my opinions have not changed.
For headphones I use Sony MDR-EX85. They are a little better then the stock buds that came with my A728, I believe that the A came with EX-75's.
As to the X's stock buds, I really don't care for them. They sound as bad as Skull Candies to me. The EX-85's sell for about $50 and really thats all I'm willing to spend on something that takes so much abuse. I usually end up breaking about one pair every 6 months.

The only 2 reasons I kept the player is that 1-I really needed 32gb and 2-This SQ from this thing is outstanding. However it fails on every other level.
The biggest problem I have is if I choose a genre with thousands of songs, the X seems to have a serious problem handling the playlist. Even once the list of 3000 songs is generated (which can take 30-60 sec) the player is very unresponsive. Just skipping forward one track can take up to 20 seconds. It's kinda like going back to Windows 95 with a dial up connection, very, very slow. It's alot quicker if I'm on "all songs" or a genre/playlist less then 1000 songs.
My other large gripe is why the !@#$%! creating library every time I just charge via USB. I would understand if I made any changes to the memory, but to send me back to the first song of 6500 every time I simply charge? Inexcusable. My A series picks up right where I stopped listening and from what I hear, so does the S series. Speaking of the A series, it's way faster than the X doing anything. Now, would it still be just as fast w/6500 songs on it? Not sure, but the X is certainly slower then my A with an equal # of files.
Again, SQ is the best I've ever heard on any portable device, including my minidisc. With a high enough bitrate it sounds as good as the gear on my rack. In fact this past weekend I synced all my Christmas music to my old A728. Hadn't listened to it much since July and I was shocked at how bad, un-natural, artificial, boomy, digital, harsh it sounded.

If it hasn't already been discussed, if anyone here also has a A728/9 or a S639, I would be curious to know how you think the hardware/firmware/software/processor compare to the X.

Again, the SQ is the best there is, unfortunatly you have to interact with the device with something other then your ears.

Oct 22, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #2,434 of 3,761
Just got this and OMG it does sound alot better then my mobile phone, friends Ipod 2G touch and phone. The headphones lack bass though, so would u guys suggest I get Maximo IM-590s or NuForce NE6 or Soundmagic PL50?

or would those not be much of a improvement

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #2,435 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got this and OMG it does sound alot better then my mobile phone, friends Ipod 2G touch and phone. The headphones lack bass though, so would u guys suggest I get Maximo IM-590s or NuForce NE6 or Soundmagic PL50?

or would those not be much of a improvement

The stock headphones lack bass?
icon10.gif

Have you enable some clear bass?

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #2,436 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock headphones lack bass?
icon10.gif

Have you enable some clear bass?

I was suprised too lol
Yeah got clear bass set to 1 and also set it to 2 in the custom EQ settings, everything else is off apart from clear stereo.

could it be a faulty headphones or just me lol

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #2,440 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Fire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the SQ of head-phone-output of the Sony compares to the SQ of the line out of a iPod Touch ? (it's for use with an amp)

If I could get my hands on the Sony dock (yes, they make one) for less than the exorbitant asking price Sony Oz are asking, I could put a lot of this behind me. At the moment, with my ears -

- both my 1G Touch and my 6.5G Classic sound markedly better via the lineout into my integrated amp than they do from their headphone out

- the Sony sounds better from the headphone out into my integrated, or into my phones, than either of the above. Warmer, better separation, stronger bass and improved clarity - you name it, its better.

I dont have the 3G Touch but I have heard one from the headphone out and I think it sounded pretty good - very appealing for such a short audition.

If you want a player that supports lossless files, get a Cowon. IMO, Sony should be supporting FLAC natively, and they dont.

Oct 30, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #2,442 of 3,761
Hi guys, i realized that the chinese character '你' on my X doesn't show up, it just becomes a box instead. I do not have this problem with my A728. Does anybody know why? thanks!

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #2,443 of 3,761
can anyone please who have the ipod2g and the X compare it together and make the differences in SQ only between them?and it would be great if you have the ie8 so that i can get a good idea.thx

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #2,444 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone please who have the ipod2g and the X compare it together and make the differences in SQ only between them?and it would be great if you have the ie8 so that i can get a good idea.thx

Hi, i happen to have all the formentiened funny enough!

... and just on SQ comparison alone when i first got the Touch i have to say i was slighlty dissapointed with the SQ anyway and will only use WAV files for the Touch to get the best out of it as i could not stand anything less on there, even aac files do not do it for me on the Touch, so i will do the comparison of them both with WAV files without any EQ settings which is how i listen to them both anyway apart from sometimes i do feel the need with some material to use the lounge EQ setting to bring out the high's a bit better on the Touch which i think is to do with a deficiancy of the Touch.

I had the Touch for around several months before the X finally came out on release and have to say the X compared to the Touch SQ is the X has a more vibrant open soundstage, better seperation of instruments with a more tighter and deeper bass with also the treble being more precise and is a bit more sweeter which then makes the Touch sound a bit enlclosed, not so open, a bit muddled with the Highs not so prevailing which gives it a more layed back, softer sound, dare i say it a tad flat overall compared to the X.

I do think the vocals with the Touch are spot on sounding tonally accurate and always seem to be well sperated from the other instruments right at the forefront of the sound.

When i got the X, i was on the verge of showing the Touch the door but had the revelation of using a lod with it and found the Touch to be a different beast and sounded nothing like it does direct through it's headphones jack and starts to sound more clinical with a more defined bass and opens up more with better speration, so i wonder if maybe the Touch has an average amp in the actual player itself as through the lod i could not believe it was the same player.

I now use the Touch with WAV only using a lod to listen to my most fav songs properly on my Headphone amp and found the X to be okay with acc files and more forgiving than the Touch with them and use the X for commuting as well as still listening to that through it's own lineout at home through the NWU5 dock station.

Overall i still don't mind the sound of the Touch direct, but it's not until i listen to the X to be more refined, balanced, vibrant and open than the Touch.

I generally have found this sound comparison is the same no matter which genre i have listened to them both.

Hoped that helped, even though that is just my personal opinion on them both with the IE8's (and also my Shure E500's = same conclusion anyhow) and may not reflect that of any other pair of ears!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #2,445 of 3,761
FortisFlyer, I think you are onto something re the amp on the Touch, and I see this (along with significantly better default EQ) as the big difference between the X and any of its stock iPod competition. Apple really needs to put more time and effort into their digital amp development - with the possible exception of the 3GS iPhone/3G Touch, the SQ seems to fall away with increases in volume - I couldn't get the 3G Touch to anything resembling the volume levels the X is capable of from the HP out. Apple are very sensitive to the prospect of litigation, but a good amp is about more than simply making everything louder : I enjoy the body and impact that the X gives my music even at relatively low volumes. The lack of a decent amp is particularly evident in the current Nano - anyone concerned that they may have spent too much on the X or similar really needs to listen to one of these nasty little neon handbag accessories. Line out into a decent amp *might* save it, but stock its woefully underpowered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back