I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Oct 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #2,401 of 3,761
What kind of headphones are you driving w/ that 10 to 15? Would I see better results going to an amp? Also, what do you typically set the volume to when sending the signal to an amp? I mean, what's recommended?

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #2,402 of 3,761
i couldn't get more than 17-18 hours on mine (all mp3@320kbps with an occasional VBR V0 here and there) with volume set to 11 (
biggrin.gif
) and Westone3

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #2,403 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still love my X but what strikes me is that I seem to get only about 10-15 hours of playing on a full charge; that is about half of what is specified.
I use MP3 320kbs VBR and normalisation on, the rest off.
How do others here rate the batterylife?

Edit: I already drained it completely to 'reset' the battery meter but that made no difference.

I'm having the same experience. I really love this thing like how a " fat kid loves cake" haha but the battery life leaves more to be desired. Those battery bars fall off too soon IMO. I get quite a lot more battery life with my ipod touch. The X is so easy to listen to that I listen to it for much longer periods than my other DAPs. To this day am still not sure if that, the amplifier or ironically the OLED screen are the culprit for me being slightly less than contented with the battery life.

Sometimes I wanna come and post that the X is changing after all these months but am not sure so I just don't post. The connoisseurship nature of this hobby might be responsible for me noticing more differences now than I did back then with my other DAPs as well. As I become more knowledgeable I notice subtleties that I was once ignorant of and my appreciation of the player grows. Something I find interesting is that background details are more discernible/resolved with this player. Almost as if they were brought forward so that I can not just hear them, but see them more clearly haha whilst at the same time being more 3-D than my other players, details that were once just placed to the left or right in the foreground with my other players are now placed back in the soundstage where they supposedly belong.

-

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #2,404 of 3,761
I hope my X *does not* change - its fantastic just the way it is. The combination of that amp, the Sony SQ and my Grados is as good as I've had it to date - I can live with poor battery life if this is what it buys me.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #2,405 of 3,761
I get at least 20 hours out of mine. That's with wifi OFF in the settings, brightness set to 3 - and a mixture of wma vbr (330kbps and above), and WAV files. The last bar goes on for ages. It's not very accurate at reflecting what's left because the first two bars disappear much faster than the last two.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my 'beep' settings are off, and the 'screen off timer' is set to 15 seconds
smily_headphones1.gif

dura- the 'specified' battery life is rated with 128kbps files. Looks like we're all using much higher bitrates so that would explain why we're not getting the stated 33 hours.

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #2,406 of 3,761
Interesting, because I get at least 20hrs, and I change songs VERY frequently. (I usually recharge mine when the battery drops 2 bars, with about 10-15 hrs of use)

All my mp3s are 320kbps with the EQ and Clear stereo on.
My screen brightness is set to 2, screensaver in 15 secs, wifi always off.

I think the battery life is very acceptable

Oct 16, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #2,407 of 3,761
I know this maybe a bit offtopic but do you guys think the headphones that come with the Sony are good enough or should I go for either Maximo iM-590 or NuForce NE-6?

those are at my budget level so would they be a good upgrade?

Oct 17, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #2,408 of 3,761
There's really no reason to have wifi on, yeah? I mean, the Zune had Artist Bios and Related Recommendations, but this has nothing, right? Just youtube and Slacker? I'd probably have my backlight set 1 and timer to 15 seconds for max life anyway.

So I went to Fry's yesterday and walked out a sad Jod. They have the NWZ-X1051 for $299.99, right? Then I started thinking about the pack in buds and wondered if they sold them separately. Sure enough I found a pair of Sony MDR-NC22's hanging on the rack for $99.99!! I cannot believe the extra bulk added to my new favorite MP3 player for a feature I will never use, let alone the added cost for a headphone I'll never listen too. If Amazon's charging $260 for this setup right now, I can only imagine it would be about $199 wo/ those ridiculous headphones and NC setup included. I bet it'd be thinner and lighter as well.
frown.gif
Who knows, maybe we'd get a metal volume rocker too!

I'm really bummed Sony would include a feature that adds so much cost/bulk/weight to a product like this. Surely they know w/ their inclusion of the S-Master amp audiophiles would be all over this and have zero desire to listen to their included headphones?

Oct 17, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #2,409 of 3,761
Its not lies, its creative accounting. Your operating system thinks a 'gigabyte' is 1024 megabytes - DAP makers know otherwise:

Gigabit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, a megabyte is 1024 kilobytes isnt it ? Well, not exactly ....

Megabyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In their defence, this seems to be more about flash memory than DAPs per se. I'm off to run a low-level scan over every sector on my Classic to make sure I got what I paid for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #2,412 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really bummed Sony would include a feature that adds so much cost/bulk/weight to a product like this.
Surely they know w/ their inclusion of the S-Master amp audiophiles would be all over this and have zero desire to listen to their included headphones?

Not really. Sony includes some really nice phones with their higher-end series, and 95% of people would be more than happy with them. It's only the other fussy 5%... us... who want more
biggrin.gif

It wouldn't make sense for them to pack rubbish phones in with their flagship model. People would complain the X sounded like trash, and it would be because of the phones, not because of the dap. So I don't think it's a bad idea for them to include decent ones, because it makes a complete package that sounds good straight out of the box.

I suppose they could offer two versions, one with, and one without. But do you really think they care about the tiny percent of the market who would want to upgrade the phones? I don't think they'd give a toss to be honest
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone can answer me question?

I would wait and see how you like the Sony phones first. They're really not bad at all, much much better than the average stock buds you get with other daps.

Oct 17, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #2,413 of 3,761
ok thanks

I still got time to cancel the order so im kinda still not sure mainly because of the no gapless playback thing
frown.gif
. I remember the first A series was not mean to have gapless mp3 support but when I got mine it did so I was pleased. I really dont want to spend the extra £30 for the cowan s9 or itouch 2G. So its either stick with it or go for a cheaper option like the Creative XIFI or Samsung P3.

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #2,414 of 3,761
I'm happy to give any phones I get with a player to my GF or my ex-GFs daughter. Perfect world, I wouldnt have to pay for them, or the marketing/packaging/executive bonuses etc, but I've paid my Sony and Apple taxes for 2009 and I can still afford food - its all good
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #2,415 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's only the other fussy 5%... us... who want more
biggrin.gif
I don't think they'd give a toss to be honest
atsmile.gif

Bah! I just want my head-fi island.
tongue.gif
And yes, I do realize the absurdity of my statement.
regular_smile .gif

However I think 2 versions would be a wonderful compromise. At any rate, while Amazon's in the process of receiving my Cowon S9 return, I figured I'd waltz on down to my local Fry's and see what other IEM's they have. Although they did have some higher end Shures, I tried their E2C and E3C w/ terrible results, so I picked up the Super.Fi 5 version 2's instead. It's probably been about 2 years since I've upgraded IEM's and I think I've been going about this the wrong way, hehe. Out of my old Sony S616, I think enjoyed them almost as much as the Sony X + PIMETA + Sennheiser HD580's and certainly more than the pairing w/ my Etymotic ER6i's. This probably has something to do w/ the double amping as techfreakazoid pointed out in the other post however.

That said, I really think I might hold off on picking up the Sony X again as I'm having as much of a good time w/ these for 1/3rd the cost. And it gives me a chance to hold off and see if Sony releases an S Master version wo/ all the WiFi, OLED, Slacker, YouTube, Noise Cancelling, MDRNC22 hoopla.

I know this isn't exactly the thread for that sort of thing, but considering how much improved I thought of the soundstage and low end, whilst keeping the detail of the Ety's for classical music, what other IEM's would suit me for around the $200 price point? Keep in mind they'd be driven by that Sony S616. Disregard if it's too off topic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back