I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Oct 12, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #2,371 of 3,761
dissembled, are you saying that you rate it above the Amp3 ? Man, the villagers are probably lighting torches as I type this and preparing to storm your castle !
smily_headphones1.gif

My personal view is that Sony got two things very. very right : the EQ and that fantastic digital amp. I can live with the unresponsive UI, and I dont play vids on any of my players - all we need now is a 250GB HDD-based version of the X Series !

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #2,372 of 3,761
Hey guys, I've been pretty happy with my X but there is a serious issue sony should address. The darn thing can't update slacker through USB. How epicly lame is that? By the time the songs update from your refresh, your battery's lost a good chunk of it's life. It didn't bug me because I live close to a coffee shop with free wifi but at home I have no wireless so this sucks now that I have no time to sit in a coffee shop for 30 minutes to update my slacker library. On top of it's battery draining properties its a fairly slow transfer though wifi. Sony if you are going to make slacker a selling point at least provide users with a complete experience.

Oct 13, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #2,373 of 3,761
silverknit3 . i saqw on your signature that you have a sony ericsson k810 with modified driver , would you care to tell me what is it , and hoy you get it ?
and please apologise about my eanglish
thanks in advance

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #2,375 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by lu-chen-chan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one serious question , does this player supports any lossless audio ?

MP3 • WMA • AAC • ASF

None of these are lossless, but personally I'm happy with LAME VBR.

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #2,376 of 3,761
Quote:

Yes, WAV-files.

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #2,377 of 3,761
Apologies - you are correct - but at 50-100MB per song, I dont know how popular WAV will be with most. ALAC and FLAC cut that in half, and LAME is half that again, at least in my experience.

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #2,378 of 3,761
Hmm - looks like I'm going to have to dig my other Sony player out after reading the Wikipedia entry on WMA Lossless:

Windows Media Audio Lossless (WMA Lossless) is a lossless audio codec that competes with ATRAC Advanced Lossless, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Apple Lossless, Shorten, Monkey's Audio, FLAC, and WavPack (the last two have the advantage of being open source software and available for nearly any operating system). Designed for archival purposes,[35] it compresses audio signals without loss of quality from the original using VBR. When decompressed, the audio signal is an exact replica of the original. The first version of the codec, WMA 9 Lossless, and its revisions support up to 96 kHz, 24-bit audio for up to 6 discrete channels (5.1 channel surround) with dynamic range compression control. The typical compression ratio for music varies between 1.7:1 and 3:1.[35][36][37]

Hardware support for the codec is available on the Cowon A3[2], Bang & Olufsen Serenata [38], Sony Walkman NWZ-A and NWZ-S series

This is probably old news for many, but I barely use the NWZS738 any more - will be interesting to see if there is a difference in audible terms between LAME and WMA Lossless.

Oct 13, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #2,379 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hardware support for the codec is available on the Cowon A3[2], Bang & Olufsen Serenata [38], Sony Walkman NWZ-A and NWZ-S series

This is probably old news for many, but I barely use the NWZS738 any more - will be interesting to see if there is a difference in audible terms between LAME and WMA Lossless.[/i]

Wiki got that wrong. As far as I'm aware, no Sony daps have ever supported wma lossless.

dissembled-
I wasn't sure about the burn-in effect until I went back and compared the X with my A808... then I knew
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #2,380 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and if anyone's experiencing a quirk whereby album art doesn't show up, I figured it out. I had the same problem with the Sansa Fuze and stalked the appreciation thread for a while until I read that jpegs have to be saved in 'Baseline (Standard) - not Baseline Optimized or Progressive. So I weeded out the suspect covers on the Sony, saved them in Baseline Standard and now they all display!

Would anyone care to explain this further? Does this refer to the type of jpeg saved? I'm a paint kind of guy and I don't see any options for baseline or progressive. I don't see anything in the windows files properties either.

Also, wow, what a PITA to go through all my folders and sort through for pictures! I did find a nice guide on automating the process somewhat though. Since a lot of my album art pics were 500KB or even a 1MB, I resized them down to 100KB or less if possible.

I haven't tested this out yet as I don't have the player, but will find out tomorrow. Thanks for any help w/ this baseline stuff!

Oct 13, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #2,381 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would anyone care to explain this further? Does this refer to the type of jpeg saved? I'm a paint kind of guy and I don't see any options for baseline or progressive. I don't see anything in the windows files properties either.

Also, wow, what a PITA to go through all my folders and sort through for pictures! I did find a nice guide on automating the process somewhat though. Since a lot of my album art pics were 500KB or even a 1MB, I resized them down to 100KB or less if possible.

I haven't tested this out yet as I don't have the player, but will find out tomorrow. Thanks for any help w/ this baseline stuff!

Hi, I have Photoshop so I can choose to save as 'baseline standard'. My covers average around 400 x 400 and they all display just fine. The only thing I can suggest is to hunt out the covers that don't display, and then replace them. Hopefully, most of the replacements will be in the regular format. If not, you'll just have to keep replacing them until they display. Sorry there's not a quicker way to do it. If there is, I don't know about it
ksc75smile.gif

Oct 13, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #2,382 of 3,761
Mediamonkey can be used to embed the album covers onto the mp3 file. It successfully shows up every time. Just select songs of the same album, right click, select "auto-tag from web" and done.

I freaking love that program.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #2,383 of 3,761
Ah, I don't have photoshop. Is there another program that will let me choose? Would media monkey let me pick jpg profiles? That sounds silly, but...

So I'm copying over about 10GB of MP3's now, about 1300 files. It looks like it's going to take nearly an hour. My past Sony players have been slow, but this is show stopping. Do I have a bad player, is there a tweak/firmware fix, or are they really still using flash from 2004?

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #2,384 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mediamonkey can be used to embed the album covers onto the mp3 file. It successfully shows up every time. Just select songs of the same album, right click, select "auto-tag from web" and done.

I freaking love that program.

This is exactly what I do and it works every time!

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #2,385 of 3,761
Quote:

ATRAC Advanced Lossless on Japanese versions and WAV (all models). That's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back