1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by soozieq, May 14, 2009.
First

Back
156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165
167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176
Next

Last
  1. THE_Anonymous
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FortisFlyer75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I am surprised you think the the X sounded exactly the same as your S638.
    I thought the X was billed as their best sounding walkman yet and emphasis put on the digital S amp built into it.

I had the A818 and then got the A829 which sounded better, then when i got the X it was far more improved than the A829.

What music files do you use, as to get a true reflection of what a player can really do is to demo uncompressed music - WAV to hear the players real ability of sound reproduction, which i know might not be much help to you as if you compress music anyway it will be for the reason of space, but i had that problem with my Touch player, i cannot stand listening to it even with AAC VBR and have to listen to my Touch using WAV files, but my X i am happy with what it can do with AAC files.

All i can say is if the S638 sounds exactly the same as the X, that it is a very good sounding player! lol

That is a lot of money you guys have to pay in Canada, i thought we got ripped of in the UK for gear. So i suppose you want the all round perfect player for that, which unfortunetely the X does have a couple of achilles heels in it's make up, which i like to think will be rectified with the 2nd gen X (fingers crossed!)

LOL that's EXACTLY why I bought it! I thought...wow...if my one year old S sounds THIS good, the X must sound like....[​IMG]

Regardless, even if the X sounded 'marginally' better than the S....I agree that the price is just TOOOOOO much!
    I returned the X this morning ($500 CDN)....then I walked over to Best Buy, and bought:

-32GB Touch ($300 CDN) - my all-in-one DAP....loooovee the apps!
    -Sony S540 16GB (was on sale for $130 CDN) - my durable, all-around DAP
    -New Sansa Clip+ ($60 CDN) - for the gym

....and I saved $10 for lunch!

(and for the record...so far...the S540 sounds pretty much the same as my X out of the box too...don't know if that's good or bad....)

2. Jodiuh
    Quote:

I am surprised you think the the X sounded exactly the same as your S638.
    I thought the X was billed as their best sounding walkman yet and emphasis put on the digital S amp built into it.

I heard them both side by side. The X gave me a much better listening experience IMO. The difference wasn't small either.

3. kite7 Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by THE_Anonymous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    LOL that's EXACTLY why I bought it! I thought...wow...if my one year old S sounds THIS good, the X must sound like....[​IMG]

Regardless, even if the X sounded 'marginally' better than the S....I agree that the price is just TOOOOOO much!
    I returned the X this morning ($500 CDN)....then I walked over to Best Buy, and bought:

(and for the record...so far...the S540 sounds pretty much the same as my X out of the box too...don't know if that's good or bad....)

I think you should have given the X more time, as some people say it gets better after so and so hours. At $500 cad, I would hesitate to keep the X and the 32GB X can be had for $360 usd on newegg.com. When I tested the X briefly in store against my A828, the difference was instantly noticeable and normally I would have to try hard to notice differences between two players but the X made it really easy

4. THE_Anonymous
    Hmm....well the problem was that you can't order anything from Newegg.COM.....there's a .CA site for us, and that site doesn't sell the X

If I would have ordered the X from any other site, with the currency conversion, shipping (and possible duties)...it would have ended up costing almost the same....not to mention that it would be very difficult (and costly) to return.

So even though I WOULD have kept the X for longer, I didn't want to wait since the return deadline was approaching. I just don't think I would have noticed enough of a difference to justify $500 for a straight-up DAP (as good as it might have sounded).

5. FortisFlyer75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    ok i just sold my zune120 to my sister so i have extra funds wooohoo[​IMG] I will be getting the sony X cause i couldnt resist anymore from all those wonderful reviews about it and if i dont like it,well i can always sell it[​IMG] I AM STILL INTERESTED I YOUR COMPARISONS Fortisflyer after you get better for fair comparison.

No worry's, if you are looking for SQ in mind knowing about the X's other short falls that are well know now, you should not be dissapointed by it.
    Either option, the X or the amp & lod route would of been a wise choice, so was a hard call, i suppose the lure of another gadget in the hand was to much eh! When will you get the X then?
    I will def do that comparison, might be weekend at latest now as i will be busy next couple of nights, so will get more time then.
    Will keep you updated ; )

Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Hey John!! Just short quoting your impressions of the touch and X which I completely agree with haha. Not sure if this has been asked before but what dock are you using? Is this custom made or something I can purchase online? Thanks.

Hi Honey Boy, long time, no talk! lol
    I am using the Sony BCR-NWU5 dock charge cradle which has a line in & out with a wm port for transferring songs between dock and pc/laptop.

It is a very handy dock and the line out provides better sq, even though i would say not as much an improvement as using say my Touch with a lod, but that might say more about how good the X digital amp is maybe or how restricted the Touch really is through the hp out, or both perhap's?

Worth every penny getting one of this i feel, looks cool with the X sitting in it, if you go to the X1000 owners club you will see a coupe of photo's i posted on there with it proudly sitting on the dock.

These should be easy enough to still pick up from Sony stores as this is the current dock still, but obviously not wanting to pay their prices always try ebay or sure googling the model will bring you luck with a supplier for a good price, it cost around £30 GBP when i purchased it a few months back from Play.com.

Quote:

You won't know which one to listen to!
    Hope you put that $10 back in the music fund for next time.
    Which iem's are you using to listen to your out of curiousity?

Does seem a better deal physically when you can get 3 different daps and lunch for the price of 1.

Yes, the apps are nice innovation and this what is most probably costing Sony a few billion sales to Apple as for people who prefer features before SQ as their priority in choosing a dap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I heard them both side by side. The X gave me a much better listening experience IMO. The difference wasn't small either.

Why i asked the question, as technically the X is a different series and is classed as their flagship player and find it hard to believe the S series is the same SQ as the X?

I found a great deal of difference from the A818 to the A829 to the X, felt like evolution was happening through the generation of walkmans getting better each time.

That's why i wonder what iem's THE_Anonymous is using as maybe that might explain maybe them both sounding the same, just a theory if they where say $40 senns say, then you will never get the full potential of the walkman with what the IE8's could do to compare it's ceiling performance of the walkman potential?
    I remember having the Shure E4c's which are a good phone that was my first pair of serious performing iem's and it was'nt until i upgraded to the SE500's i realised even the E4c's was restraining the full potential of my Walkman.

i don't know really, i'm just drivling on now really!
    just left me confused the S can sound the same as the X.

THE_Anonymous will most probably say he has the IE8's anyway! lol ; )

6. kite7 Contributor
    Quote:

Hmm....well the problem was that you can't order anything from Newegg.COM.....there's a .CA site for us, and that site doesn't sell the X

If I would have ordered the X from any other site, with the currency conversion, shipping (and possible duties)...it would have ended up costing almost the same....not to mention that it would be very difficult (and costly) to return.

So even though I WOULD have kept the X for longer, I didn't want to wait since the return deadline was approaching. I just don't think I would have noticed enough of a difference to justify $500 for a straight-up DAP (as good as it might have sounded).

$100 cheaper is still a great deal cheaper even after all is said and done, it's actually not that hard to order from .com sites and have them ship to a friend or even some parcel receiving company etc but anyways. I think you were probably looking for a device for a all-around general purpose (hence ipod touch and its apps) [​IMG]

7. jjsoviet
    The X here is marked-up to $650. [​IMG]

Is the difference of the X series from, let's say, the S series really that noticeable, in regards to sound quality?
    As in <--------------------------------> this big?[​IMG]

8. dissembled
    Quote:

It is a very handy dock and the line out provides better sq, even though i would say not as much an improvement as using say my Touch with a lod, but that might say more about how good the X digital amp is maybe or how restricted the Touch really is through the hp out, or both perhap's?

How does the dock work exactly? Can you attach a portable amp to it? How exactly? What cable is needed?

A bit new to this amping business so please excuse me for the rather stupid question. [​IMG]

9. Jodiuh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Is the difference of the X series from, let's say, the S series really that noticeable, in regards to sound quality?
    As in <--------------------------------> this big?[​IMG]

From both an S616F and an S639whatever yes, the difference was large and very noticeable.

That said, I took mine back and upgraded headphones instead. I'll wait awhile til either price drops or something different from Sony w/ S Master amp comes out. I've my S616F to fall back on and some new RE0's to have fun w/. [​IMG]

10. jjsoviet
    So the S series is still good? I need something to replace my Touch. I need the extra money too for a D2 Boa.

11. Jodiuh
    It's fine. I've been using this for over a year now. The Sony X's definitely a few steps up, but I'm not paying $300 for 16GB right now. It's about $100 more than it should be.

Not sure where you are, but here in the US our local Best Buy had the 16GB S639 for $130. It's no X, but it's less than 1/2 the cost and still sounds great.

And from my recent IEM upgrade of Etymotic ER6i to Super.Fi 5 v2 to Head Direct RE0, I'm pretty happy w/ the SQ bump for 1/3rd the price.

12. Jodiuh
    i blame the forum

13. jjsoviet
    Does Best Buy accept shipping internationally? I'm quite impressed at the S639 based on reviews. At $130, it's a big steal!

14. FortisFlyer75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    How does the dock work exactly? Can you attach a portable amp to it? How exactly? What cable is needed?

A bit new to this amping business so please excuse me for the rather stupid question. [​IMG]

Hi, yes it is a charging dock station that the Walkman sit upright in and has a direct line out as the player does not have one itself, so you need to have one of these docks to do the direct line out to bypass the headphone amp to get better sq and you can just use a 3.5 miniplug cable connected to the lineout on the dock with the apropriate plugs your amp has the other end.

I personally use a from the dock - viablue miniplug with ALO SXC cable with LOK rca's to my amp.

I hope that made sense i am not the best at explaining these things either!

I have mine hooked upto a Naim Headline amp which is a dedicated hifi headphone amp, but i guess there is nothing stopping you using a portable amp with it, unfortunetely i cannot comment on how it would perform with a portable amp as i do not own one, due to buying the X instead! lol

It is handy as i can lsten to the player lineout without theoritical loss in transfer of the music to my ears and it charges at the same time as well as looking nice standing vertically in its nice posh dock!

Also, i am not sure which players, i think those thin pen like flash players they done a while back 2-4gb had the ability to record music direct from another source through the line in on the dock, if i remember rightly.

15. Jodiuh
    The dock works wo/ being plugged into a pc right? I mean, you can get audio from the line out simply by plugging the device into the port...right?

First

Back
156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165
167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176
Next

Last