I have my hands ON the Sony X1000 Walkman - Impressions / Discussions
Aug 22, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #2,131 of 3,761
Is this what you guys are talking about? The sprinkles? Cause I don't think they're very noticeable at all
icon10.gif

Picture003-8.jpg

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #2,132 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this what you guys are talking about? The sprinkles? Cause I don't think they're very noticeable at all
icon10.gif

Picture003-8.jpg

Lolololololol!! Hahahahahaha
ksc75smile.gif

Now that is mildly funny!!!

Aug 23, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #2,133 of 3,761
Does it make sense to Amp the X. Wouldn't it be like amping already amped signal from S master digital amp. Also there is no dedicated Line out.Has anyone done this.. Any difference in Soundstage or bass ( Not sure how as your IEM/Headphone will be the weakest link with this player). Need to see if i have to brace myself to spend on an Amp or find a reason not buy an amp and give my wallet a breather.

Thanks
PC

Aug 23, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #2,134 of 3,761
Just bought the Pico amp/dac so I'm interested in this as well.

BTW: Awesome setup dude.
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #2,135 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just bought the Pico amp/dac so I'm interested in this as well.

BTW: Awesome setup dude.
biggrin.gif

Thanks.I like the minimalistic set up. X1060 is very natural sounding and Um3x is very neutral. So it is a great combo. Also i found that by tweaking EQ even more i am getting sound i like and making this player more fun sounding. It seems to get better with age
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #2,136 of 3,761
Quote:

Originally Posted by animalsrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks.I like the minimalistic set up. X1060 is very natural sounding and Um3x is very neutral. So it is a great combo.

Also i found that by tweaking EQ even more i am getting sound i like and making this player more fun sounding.
t seems to get better with age
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, that's another thing I like about it, the EQ actually works very well, unlike other EQ's I've used that have left me cringing in horror lol
biggrin.gif

I was thinking about I always say the X is just about the SQ, but in fact it has plenty of other redeeming qualities too. It has a very effective EQ, a beautiful screen, seriously beautiful... an easy-to-navigate UI, a fun youtube feature, and I can download and watch iPlayer progs offline (couldn't do that with the Touch).

I won't mention the non-wowser browser lol
biggrin.gif
- but as an audio player, I have yet to hear something I enjoy more than the X.

Aug 25, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #2,140 of 3,761
Received it today. Sparkles are evident in all but the dimmest of lights. Somewhat disappointed about that.

Here's some early UM3X impressions with ALL sound enhancements turned off. I've had the player since Monday so it's only about 3 days old. I'll update this thread if there's some semblance of change. (There probably will be.)

Mids are a delight. Jamie Stewart's (Xiu Xiu) hauntingly aching voice never sounded so beautiful. It seems like he's standing besides you whispering the words right into your ear canals. Wonderfully creepy.

Bass hits hard if the UM3x's are inserted correctly. If not, the sound becomes notably thin.

Treble while weak compared to other frequencies isn't bad at all. It should be noted that it's largely dependent on the tips used. I use the large Klipsch gels which accentuates the treble regions a bit.

Overall, the sound is very natural and balanced. A bit on the mellow side so it's quite soothing to listen to. I could probably listen to this combo for hours without becoming fatigued by the signature. I personally like my music to be vocal-oriented.

With the Audio Technica AD700s, the synergy is freakin A M AAAAAAA Z I N G. Probably the best DAP I've heard so far. Mind you, I've been burning it only an hour or so I'm quite taken back by it. Warmth is there but it does not subdue the details whatsoever. The treble, the mids, the bass levels. All come together oh so beautifully to create a such a smooth and wonderfully natural sound signature. Literally brings tears to my eyes. I can't wait to burn this thing in!

These impressions are based on all sound settings turned off, btw.

I'm also in love with the interface. Looked cheesy in Youtube videos I've seen of it online but it's quite appealing visually firsthand, really. Also very user friendly. Mistaken button presses are usually prevented because the selected item is only highlighted when grazed lightly.

The Youtube/Slacker applications are also pretty awesome. The Youtube application is implemented perfectly to the now playing screen. You can search Youtube for the currently playing song, artist or album. I personally love seeing the music videos of my songs. Other songs of that said artist also are made available to you at a press of a button. Such sweeeeetness.

I also find it commendable that you don't have to be connected to the internet to listen to songs through Slacker. The WIFI I may add though useful, takes up a great portion of the battery life.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

But ugh..the rainbow sparkles are dog ugly.

Aug 25, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #2,141 of 3,761
Quote:

Received it today. Sparkles are evident in all but the dimmest of lights. Somewhat disappointed about that.

You know i didn't even see those sparkles.Now i see them
smily_headphones1.gif
. Once i got the cover they become a non issue
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also with UM3x i found that you need to use EQ to tune the sound. With flat i didn't like the synergy but when i added CB and changed the EQ it is a whole different experience. Also i found that player opens up after few weeks. It did to me YMMV. So maybe give it a week or two and you will love the sound

PC

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #2,142 of 3,761
How did you EQ the UM3x's? It didn't sound very good to my ears the first time but now, I think the player's slowly opening up.

Aug 26, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #2,143 of 3,761
Quote:

How did you EQ the UM3x's? It didn't sound very good to my ears the first time but now, I think the player's slowly opening up.

I use both cutsom EQs : Custom 1 setting is : 0,0,0,0,0 CB + 2 i use for rock classic rock

Custom 2 : 1,0,1,1,1 CB + 2 -- for trance and other genres are bass heavy.. Please note these change as player burns in. Currently these are what i am happy with .. May change them later

Aug 26, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #2,144 of 3,761
To me in term of soundquality X series walkman is very close to 5.5G iMod ipod, with less bulk and compact form factor. It's sound amazingly clear and has great surround soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back