I have $4,500 to spend. Open to any suggestions!
Jan 30, 2018 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pichu

500+ Head-Fier
So I have $4,500 to spend on a pair of headphones, an amp and a dac. I’ve messed around with a bunch of low fi and midfi and want to go all the way this time.
I was planning on going with the Autuer Teak from ZMF with a Soekris 1541. I feel that this may be pointless as I would most likely shoot to get a stand alone amp to work with the Soekris 1541s DAC.

Can anyone help give m some recommendations? What would you buy with $4,500? Does the whole budget need to be spent? Dac with integrated amp or have both separated from each other? What amps and DACs are known to have synergy? I’m also open to headphone recommendations too! Thank you in advance

Jan 30, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 15
So I have $4,500 to spend on a pair of headphones, an amp and a dac. I’ve messed around with a bunch of low fi and midfi and want to go all the way this time.
I was planning on going with the Autuer Teak from ZMF with a Soekris 1541. I feel that this may be pointless as I would most likely shoot to get a stand alone amp to work with the Soekris 1541s DAC.

Can anyone help give m some recommendations? What would you buy with $4,500? Does the whole budget need to be spent? Dac with integrated amp or have both separated from each other? What amps and DACs are known to have synergy? I’m also open to headphone recommendations too! Thank you in advance
$4500 can get you a sweet setup for sure. It would help if you said what type of signature your looking for. Out of the headphones you have or have heard which did you like best and what would you like better from them. Haven’t heard the Soekris so I can’t say but looks like a good unit and it’s output spec are in volts rms not sure how to calculate that to watts but know a few amps with lower voltage that are pretty powerful for most headphones and the 14v rms on balanced should run just about anything . Someone else might know how to convert that . Most of the time most recommend spend your money headphones, amp and then dac. While this is a sound practice I went backwards on this after having a mid-fi setup. Not to say that is what you should do but that’s what I did after going to several meets and hearing a lot of different gear. It would be great if you could audition first but in a lot of places I understand that is not always possible. You just need to decide what it is your looking for to know what I and others could recommend to you. I could spend $4500 on a setup and love it but you might not like it at all.
Have not heard the Auters yet but knowing Zachs’ other cans I’m sure they are going to be good might be a pair at a meet this weekend.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 15
What about these:

Sennheiser HD800S
sennheiser-HD-800-S-1.jpg

Woo Audio WA22
wa22.jpg

Schiit Gungnir
schiit_gungnirMB_front.jpg

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 15
My suggestion. 1) don’t keep two threads going asking the same thing.
2) up your budget

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 15

Therapy on how to get out of this hobby.

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #14 of 15
Personally I'd have just gotten an LCD-X and a Schiit Bifrost + Valhalla 2 and let that be my endgame, or something like a HE400i with an m900 or a K712 with the Aune X1S (wow I'm getting lower and lower)
I'd never go past like $2.5k tbh, but if you really wanna spend all your money then get the HD800S's and an iFi Pro iCAN and be done with this hobby lmao

Users who are viewing this thread

Back