I hate my dt880's. I love my dt880's.
Mar 8, 2011 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

abhisheknath

Head-Fier
I recently acquired a pair of Beyerdynamic dt880 pro (250 ohm) headphones and I just don't know what to make of them. The problem is that on the one hand, they are superbly detailed and crisp on good recordings but hideously harsh and excessively bright (and sibilant) on poor recordings. The end result is that I get a headache after about 10minutes of listening to these cans. It got to the point where I decided to get rid of the cans but when I went back to my hd595, m50 I was startled by the sudden lack in detail. I mean they sounded so lifeless in comparison that I had to get the dt880's back out. In my desperation, I stumbled upon some parametric equilizers for foobar2k and then suddenly I was able to tweak the bayers to become my ideal set of cans. They sound like an absolute dream out of foobar- nice punchy bass, incredible detail through out the frequency range and perfectly clear and exciting (but not overbearing) highs. My problem now is this: I listen to a lot of music on foobar but most of my listening happens on slacker.com, last.fm and pandora. The bayers still sound too harsh on there so I need to somehow find a windows wide equalizer. Any Ideas? 

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 23
You could try look for some VST EQs like Electri-q. You'll need a VST host though and I'm no expert at what to use. Whit a soundcard as your source you'd have had a system-wide EQ at least but you already have E7+E9 combo though.

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 23
get better source matterial?

Mar 8, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 23
Well if you're really serious about EQing then you could always get a hardware EQ device. They range from like $50 to at least $300 (and probably above for serious professional use).

Here's one example featuring 15-bands that costs 75 EUR in europe http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_fbq1502_ultragraph_pro_graphiceq.htm Ofc there's more compact versions too like http://www.thomann.de/gb/artec_parametric_eq.htm

Mar 8, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 23
Always listen off foobar instead of internet radio?  Time to start downloading music (oops I meant buy music
wink_face.gif
)

I have a similar problem with my DT880s too.  I found them to have a bit too much bass quantity and slightly veiled mids.  I was EQing a bit, but just stopped as I realized I got used to the sound signature.

Mar 8, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 23
You may just be sensitive to the well known to be somewhat polarizing highs in the midfi Beyers. The E7/E9 doesn't mask the highs on any headphone, so either replace the amp for one that rolls off the treble a bit (like tube amps), EQ, or just plain get used to the sound signature. You're lucky you didn't go for the DT990 then. The highs would have tortured your ears. I definitely wouldn't blame the AMP/DAC, as you know it's pretty transparent. You just need either better synergy, a better source, or just some slightly less energetic headphones.

You sound better suited for HD600s.

Mar 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 23
Thanks for the replies guys. It really helps. I love the detail in the dt880's so I would hate to trade them in for anything else. I think I will have to implement some combination of the advice listed above. In the meanwhile though as long as I am listening through foobar, these things are a treat.

Mar 8, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 23
What do you guys think about adding a hardware equalizer between the Fiio E7/E9 so I can get a windows wide equalizer?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MJ406Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0YK8B2YEF4WP7CAN3PSB&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Is that a good place to put an equalizer?

Thanks,
Abhi

Mar 9, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
Always listen off foobar instead of internet radio?  Time to start downloading music (oops I meant buy music
wink_face.gif
)

I have a similar problem with my DT880s too.  I found them to have a bit too much bass quantity and slightly veiled mids.  I was EQing a bit, but just stopped as I realized I got used to the sound signature.

I guess this was a typo? I just got my DT880s today, and my experience is exactly the opposite.  Bass is tight but slighly lacking, mids are clearly pronounced, and treble's too much.

On a different note, what would be an ideal amp for this? right now I am using audinst which i used to pair it with m50s. i am thinking about going for lovely cube--bcl clone or bcl itself. Thoughts?

Mar 9, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
X2 on the Sennheiser HD-600. I think you might be very happy with them.

It's tempting to get another set of cans but in all honesty I am absolutely delighted with the dt880's once I have them eq'd with Electri-Q. The detail is just astonishingly good! I just wish I could get that same eq setting globally across windows. I am beginning to believe that in general any headphone setup must have an equalizer involved in order to get a truly flat or even personalized sound. I guess you could choose to pair bright headphones with a tube amp that rolls off the high frequencies but I would rather have all my components faithfully reproduce a flat frequency curve as best they can and then use an equalizer to tune the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back