I don't like the dt880's, help me pick a new headphone.
Sep 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

BobSaysHi

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I currently own the dt880 250 ohm edition, and my previous headphones were the sr80i's. So hopefully you guys can guide me from here. I'm in the precess of building a millett minimax, so all of these impressions are unamped until it is built.

I LOVE the mids on the sr80, however the comfort and piercing highs leave a lot to be desired.

On the other hand, I LOVE the bass and comfort on the dt880, however the mids are recessed and lack sparkle. I have a feeling that some of the magic will come back when my amp (finally) gets built, however the mids are very recessed compared to my sr80i's that I feel are perfect.

I have a budget of ~$230 buying used, and my amp will (eventually) be the minimax. I don't really want to go grado because of comfort issues and I don't want closed headphones.

Are there any other options in this price range that fit my description?

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 39
i have a feeling you might like the sennheiser hd650. great mids with better bass emphasis than the dt880. the mids are really sexy on these cans, and the sound is not fatiguing for me...

they are also comfortable 
smile.gif

you might want to hunt for a used one at the fs section...

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #3 of 39
Darn, I almost had the perfect headphone for you to try out before you mentioned that you DON'T want closed headphones.

Before I saw this post I was doing A/B testing between my Grado SR-80 and Koss Pro DJ 100. I can't believe how similar each of them are. It's almost like it's the big brother of the SR-80. It has more bass, slightly better mids and more tame highs. Way less fatiguing. The Grado SR-80 are really growing on me, but it only took about 3 years! Soundstage is also pretty impressive for the Koss headphone being closed. Instrument separation reminds me of the DT-880 more then any other headphone. Unfortunately they need an amp to sound really good and to bring out the bass.

I also don't like the DT-880, but I only tried the 32ohm version and maybe that's why.

I can't think of anything else that would work, but your description is also exactly what I look for in a headphone. I do like a lot of bass, but not too much. The only problem I have with the SR-80 is there isn't quite enough bass and the highs can be annoying at times with certain music.

Hopefully you can get a few other suggestions. Right now my favorite headphone for the best mids is the HD-600, SRH-840 and Pro DJ 100. Can't afford the ESW10, even if I could find them. They sound interesting though.

EDIT: HD-650 might be good, but I'd suggest trying out the HD-600 first. I actually disliked the HD-650, but some people prefer them. The highs are just about perfect on the HD-600. Just about a step below where they would get annoying. The bass is more then enough for me. I just wish they were a bit easier to drive. My Total Airhead is constantly yelling at me when I try to use them with it, so I have to instead use a receiver, which powers them perfectly fine.

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 39
Well, bass is definitely not what I look for in music. The mids are the most important part for me. I have owned hd595's and didn't like them. The music was "murky" for lack of a better word. The music needs to be "airy", which is also why I don't like closed headphones.

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 39
As someone above said, I suggest you check out the HD650.  I just bought one off the used forums two weeks ago for $180, but this definitely below what the average pair is being listed for.  Somebody just responded to my old WTB at $225 though, and I'd be more than willing to introduce you guys if you are interested.  My point here is that you can definitely get the HD650 within your budget, but it may take some patience and waiting for the right deal to pop up.

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 39
DT 48? The mids have been described multiple times as "perfect" although they're rather picky on source, especially if you want good bass. It's not necessarily the more expensive sources that will do the job, but the particular circuit designs.

That said, they may very well be some of the most transparent and honest headphones you can find. Also, they fit snugly in your budget.

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 39

Quote:
DT 48? The mids have been described multiple times as "perfect" although they're rather picky on source, especially if you want good bass. It's not necessarily the more expensive sources that will do the job, but the particular circuit designs.

That said, they may very well be some of the most transparent and honest headphones you can find. Also, they fit snugly in your budget.

maybe, I'll look into it

Quote:
Get 600Ohm version.
wink_face.gif

Will it bring out the mids? I'd heard I'd also need another amp because of the higher impedences, however I might be wrong. Also, I'm not getting a different amp, I've spent too many hours        laboring over this one to just sell it and pick a new one

Sep 19, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #10 of 39

Quote:
     maybe, I'll look into it

Will it bring out the mids? I'd heard I'd also need another amp because of the higher impedences, however I might be wrong. Also, I'm not getting a different amp, I've spent too many hours        laboring over this one to just sell it and pick a new one

Absolutely, they are totally different beast comparing to 250Ohm counterpart.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 39
The 600 Ohm is slightly different from the 250 Ohm version.  If the DT880 250 Ohm isn't doing it for you, neither will the 600 Ohm.  The differences are extremely exaggerated on this forum.  

I was in the same position as you a few years back.  I had the DT880 as my 2nd hifi headphone but it just seemed to lack emotion and made music a bit bland.  I ended up upgrading to a Stax Lambda headphone combo and haven't looked back.  I now own many Stax headphones and love the electrostatic sound.  The Lambdas are better in every way over the DT880 in my mind, including comfort.  I'll put it like this: in the first year that I had my first Lambda, I listened to the DT880 maybe 2 hours total that entire year.  Then I sold it.  The Lambdas are one of the best values you're ever gonna find here, it's just that nobody wants to do any research on them.  They are the cheapest headphones I'd consider "high end".  They require more research than your typical dynamic headphone.  If you don't mind reading the forums and researching on Stax for a while, I think you will walk away very happy in the end.  I know I did.

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 39
Same here, I don't like 880/250, and I love my MS1.

Maybe you can try Shure srh840, they have good midrange, a bit lack of energy compare to grado, but I think that's not a problem.

or if you want open back headphone, I suggest for AKG K701, because I love my K701 too 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back