1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

I don't like the dt880's, help me pick a new headphone.

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by bobsayshi, Sep 19, 2010.
First

Back
Next

Last
  1. Andrew_WOT
    Hope that comment is based on first hands experience not assumption. I owned both and to me they are light years apart.

Quote:

2. 1Time
    Extremely Exaggerated vs Light Years = LOL

Quote:

Quote:

3. n3rdling

Quote:

Yep.

4. Cankin
    ATH-AD2000, I think you'll like its upfront mid.

5. BobSaysHi
    I think I'll try the 600 ohmers. If I still don't like them, I'll move on to the hd650s. I don't really want electrostats, although I have never heard them. I might try and go to the next headhone convention and hopefully hear all the different types of 'phones

6. paulb09
    HD650 for mids? Not a suggestion I hear often. The AKG K501/K601/K701 may be a good bet (the K501 especially is meant to be good for mid range, and personal experience with the K601 is that the mid range is the best part of the headphone's sound), though they're not up-front sounding like the Grados. For that you could look into a K240 Sextett, which has more of an up-front sound. The Sextetts are often called the "Grado'd AKGs".

[edit]All of those, I might add, are quite comfortable, and are at least semi-open.

7. BobSaysHi

Quote:

It would be the first time I've heard it too. And I am really surprised when I heard it multiple times in one thread. I think I'll keep the dt880 till I buy the 600 ohms and hear the difference for myself.

8. Andrew_WOT
    If you are looking for more pronounced mids (600Ohm DT880 mids are not recessed as 250Ohm but still do not have hump there), you want to look into either already recommended here ATH-AD2000, another one is ATH-W5000, or as a budgetary closed option  - K271S.

Quote:

9. Zombie_X Contributor
    I would also recommend the 600Ohm DT880, but the 600Ohm DT990's are a bit hollowed sounding (calls for tubes!!). I had both the 250Ohm and 600Ohm DT880's at the same time and ran them off my X-CANV8P which features two headphone outputs. The 600Ohm clearly had more midrange, smoother highs, more bass, and a wider soundstage.

10. opus111
    I am also an owner of 880s, and I did not like them...  Not enough bass and too much mids for my ears, and a bit brittle.

I also got the 990 600 ohms.

I am now very happy :-D

11. kool bubba ice
    I wouldn't call them perfect. Audio is always subjective. They are mid centric & not recessed.. & IMO very life like & authentic. If they weren't, NAGRA would not be recommending them for recording the human voice..

Quote:

12. spacemanspliff
    Might want to just skip the dynamics entirely and go to Stax. Sounds like you are that type. I just got a Nova Basic and modded SRD-7 for about $270. Add a little amp like a Gizmo and you will be in heaven for around $310 or so. Just have to be patient to hunt for old Lambda Stax or just get the new setup for about $400.

13. kool bubba ice
    You also owned the K1000.. Do the Nova Basics REALLY have a better mid range?

14. Slaughter
    The mids on the Sennheisers are more pronounced than the other frequencies, so if the mid range is what you want to hear, it will be up more front and center with Senns. Is it the best sounding mid range, no and it's in no way airy, but still silky smooth. The mids on the Senneheiser's are much better than 880/600, but the 880 is technically a better headphone. Depends on your preferences....

Quote:

15. kool bubba ice

The 650's have better mids then the DT880 250ohm.. Can't speak on the 600ohm... But I might buy a pair..
    Quote:

First

Back
Next

Last