I done it~ purchased the M50's..
Sep 16, 2010 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

tyt921

New Head-Fier
After lurking here on this forum for countless hours, nights, and days...I finally went ahead and blew a hundred bucks on the M50's. Previously, I had a situation..dealing with either open or closed phones. But i figured, privacy is an issue for me, because I wouldnt really want others to peek what Im really listening to...so with that in mind. I had to choose between still a few head phones.

I just ordered the M50's and whether I like it or not, I have to learn to accept and love them.

The pressure is immense i tell you! Now that i ordered them, IM SO RELIEVED! OMG GOOD NIGHT!

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 56
feel sorry for your wallet already. soon you'll want to try different headphones and start buying them. then, you'll want an amp and start lurking around the amp section of this forum. while doing that you will also look for DAC. after DAC and AMP you will want to recable.

back to M50. it is great. but not without 100 hours of break-in first.

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 56
Yeah, you're doomed now but you should be pleased with your purchase. I got a pair recently and I absolutely love them.

Sep 16, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 56
Sooo I was in a similar situation about a month ago.  I bought a pair of M50's thinking that all these other schmucks were fools for spending $300, $400, or even $1000+ on headphones.

Well, I admit, I was wrong.  Only a few weeks later I own my M50's now with velour pads, modded AD700's, and my brand new pair of Beyerdynamic DT990/250's... and I'm about to buy an iBasso D10 amp once the new D12 amp gets released and the D10 gets $40 cheaper (I HOPE!)

You're in for a ride, but you're going to start enjoying your music a lot more.

About the open/closed thing.  I use open headphones when I'm at my house or apartment slumming it where I don't care about who hears what I'm listening to.  The increased soundstage and more "breathing room" for the headphones really makes a difference.  I still use my M50's when I go out though.  I agree that in certain places like an airplane or a quiet waiting room, you just can't be using wide open headphones.

A few suggestions:

- Start a FLAC music library and forget your MP3's.. heh
- Use Foobar if you're using a PC, and then use the DolbyHeadphone.dll and ChannelMixer.dll plugins to get awesome sound.
- Get a good DAC, and if you buy headphones that are harder to drive, buy an amp too.  Better yet, buy an amp/dac combo to get into the whole thing.  Don't worry, you can upgrade to tubes later :p

Oh and one more thing.  Say goodbye to your savings account.

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 56
Congrats on your purchase.
I hope you appreciate them as much as I and many here do. They are great cans. Amazing at this price... and far superior (to my ears & taste) to many costing much, much more.

Cheers

shane

PS... and yes, be sure to burn them in gently (on or off your head) for about 25 - 50 hours before making any serious judgments about their sound. They will change.

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #7 of 56
Congrats...they are fine phones. Enjoy them!

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 56
Great phones I love mine. Like others have said let them burn in for a while before you make your judgement. For me right out of the box they sounded unimpressive and I was disappointed. But after several days of burn in sounds great and you will enjoy them a lot.

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 56
As the M50s a good choice for listening to a wide variety of genres?

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 56
hmmm...so i been only listening to 196k bit rate mp3 files, maybe sometimes 320k bit rate...so these mp3 wont bring the real quality out to my ears through my headphones? only way is to listen directly thru through the CD's?

yes. next time i will get a pair of Open cans for at home purposes...i dont know when that be, im still a student! cant afford this kinda hobby!

Sep 16, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 56

Quote:
hmmm...so i been only listening to 196k bit rate mp3 files, maybe sometimes 320k bit rate...so these mp3 wont bring the real quality out to my ears through my headphones? only way is to listen directly thru through the CD's?

yes. next time i will get a pair of Open cans for at home purposes...i dont know when that be, im still a student! cant afford this kinda hobby!

Nah, you don't need CD's.  Just find FLAC files, and listen to those.  FLAC ranges somewhere between 850-1000kbps, and when you compare that to "great mp3" files at 320kbps, it just seems silly NOT to listen to FLAC files.

Of course, if you have a crap ton of CD's, be my guest, listen to those.  I just like FLAC because I can have a huge library on my 640gb external hdd with plenty of room left on my 1TB RAID0 (500+500) HDD on my desktop.  Also, FLAC files don't really get scratched like CD's do.  Just a personal choice however.

Where do you go to school by the way?  I'm a student (college) as well still.  I'm just trying to find friends in the area that are into audio like I am. 

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #12 of 56
Heyy,

I am from San Francisco, and went to SF state. Just graduated and have alot of time at home listening to music, killing time etc, while i get a job. 

FLAC files where do i get them? i use a mac?

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 56

Quote:
Heyy,

I am from San Francisco, and went to SF state. Just graduated and have alot of time at home listening to music, killing time etc, while i get a job. 

FLAC files where do i get them? i use a mac?

convert from CDs (purchase, library, friends, etc)
and google >_>

congrats on the purchase, i just picked these up recently as well and i am loving them
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #15 of 56
Congrats to all those who purchased an M50! It's a very nice headphone indeed, as I used to own one.

Quote:
i just got a pair of m50's on ebay, i should have them next week. how do you burn them in safely? can i leave them on at night safely to burn alone?

You can just set your playlist to shuffle, and leave them in your closet. A good volume is slightly above comfortable/normal listening levels.

Also, for those of you with the M50, for now you won't tell a difference between FLAC and something like 320kbps MP3. I use 320kbps MP3 with most of my music (for now anyway). Even with Amazon MP3 and their 256kbps average, they still sound great. Well, with the headphones I currently own...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back