I done it~ purchased the M50's..
Sep 18, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #46 of 56

Quote:
oohhhh im SOOOO close of getting this headphone..

now im stuck between M50 and AKG K181DJ
i still prefer the M50 but my father and my brother prefer the AKG..
what should i choose?

Who will be listening to them more... you, or your father and brother?
Seriously... if they are for you, get the ones you prefer.

Also, who carries the bigger stick? 
wink_face.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #47 of 56
sure..
im choosing the M50 though..
sounds much better than the K181DJ which is too bassy for me..

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #48 of 56
So I'm thinking of buying the m50's too, but I'm a little skeptical... I currently love the sound signature of my sony mdr-ex71's, so will these provide as much bass as those? I know it's bad to compare an iem to over ear headphones, but that's just the sound signature I'm looking for.

As for reference, I've tried the ath-ck7 iems and ended up returning them because i didn't like the sound signature, it was far too metallic and painful in the highs. Will the m50's have the same sound sig, since they're both audio technica?

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #49 of 56
the M50's are a very special headphone. i love mine!

Sep 19, 2010 at 6:35 AM Post #50 of 56
I love my M50 right out of the box! I use the M50 with my desktop (on board sound card and listen to 320kbp mp3). And i must say they are great given the price.

I believe most headphone above the M50's grade will require a good Amp. SO, unless you are willing to spend in upgrading your source like getting a DAC or Amp, I personally cant think of a reason to change.

Sep 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #51 of 56
I loved my M50 right out of the box and I love the sound even more now that they have <200  hrs on them. Great for music, movies and gaming!! Great buy all the way round. I am not even looking for another headphone as my M50's do it all!! Good luck with your purchase..

Sep 21, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #53 of 56

Quote:
i am hearing people say headphones do not burn in, and i am hearing headphones DO burn in. psychological burn in or physical burn in, omg which is true!?!?

the only way to know (prove) if  burn in is real is to actually measure if there are changes in the frequency response in contrast to the "out of the box "state (which also has to be measured).
physical or psychological...the important thing is that you enjoy the sound.

Sep 21, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #54 of 56
192 kb/s mp3 is perfect... It's 30 kb/s above what is tested to be imperceptible. FLAC is an archival format worth having (on an external harddrive), but it'll eat up all your HD space if you use your PC's dedicated harddrive (depending on whether or not you use it for anything else, I guess).

People on this site go a little nuts with audio equipment... I suggest some healthy skepticism before eating up the 'common knowledge' that is tossed around here.

Quote:
hmmm...so i been only listening to 196k bit rate mp3 files, maybe sometimes 320k bit rate...so these mp3 wont bring the real quality out to my ears through my headphones? only way is to listen directly thru through the CD's?

yes. next time i will get a pair of Open cans for at home purposes...i dont know when that be, im still a student! cant afford this kinda hobby!

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #55 of 56

Quote:
192 kb/s mp3 is perfect... It's 30 kb/s above what is tested to be imperceptible.

Tested by who and with what equipment?  I have no doubt that some people's ears on decent equipment would have no problem differentiating 192k MP3 from lossless.

For my portables I use LAME -V0, that usually ends up averaging around 230k but with the upside of using a higher bitrate when the music demands it, and lower when it doesn't.  In double-blind testing I was not able to identify between that and lossless with any consistency.  For home use it's lossless all the way, hard drives are cheap!

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #56 of 56

Quote:
192 kb/s mp3 is perfect... It's 30 kb/s above what is tested to be imperceptible. FLAC is an archival format worth having (on an external harddrive), but it'll eat up all your HD space if you use your PC's dedicated harddrive (depending on whether or not you use it for anything else, I guess).

People on this site go a little nuts with audio equipment... I suggest some healthy skepticism before eating up the 'common knowledge' that is tossed around here.

Says who? The difference between 162kb/s and lossless is pretty easily identifiable. Look out for the difference in airiness. Ive ABXed them before. I believe many others have also done so with positive results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back