I done it~ purchased the M50's..
Sep 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #17 of 56

Quote:
You can just set your playlist to shuffle, and leave them in your closet. A good volume is slightly above comfortable/normal listening levels.

Also, for those of you with the M50, for now you won't tell a difference between FLAC and something like 320kbps MP3. I use 320kbps MP3 with most of my music (for now anyway). Even with Amazon MP3 and their 256kbps average, they still sound great. Well, with the headphones I currently own...

Right on all counts. Break-in at moderate-high listening level. Make sure there is no distortion present from the amp of whatever device you are using. Clean sound and not deafening. Run them for 25 hours or so.

As for FLAC, ALAC, etc. Lossless codex will provide much better sound than low level (96k, 128k) MP3's, but true... the difference between lossless and 320k is minimal if discernable at all.

The bottom line with these as with many good cans... GIGO. Garbage in - garbage out. Your M50's will only be as good as your source files, dap, DAC, amp, etc.

cheers

shane

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #18 of 56

Quote:
As the M50s a good choice for listening to a wide variety of genres?

yes they are pretty much fine for everything imo,but like every headphones they got their strenghs and weeknesses.  I would choose something else for classical music because the bass is a little overpowering for that...but it is far from sounding bad.
I like them the most with electronic music,they have the greatest punch i'v ever heard.

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #20 of 56

Quote:
I actually like classical with some sort of bass. It sounds too shrill and fatiguing without any. I especially like to hear the low orchestra in all it's glory.

yeah..i know what you're saying,i was like that also in the past...when i was hooked to coloured headphones and sound.    today,i still like some sort of coloration for certain genres (metal,electronic) but i really prefer flat frequency response for classical and all kinds of acoustic rock.
but i know all about the "soft" low end you are talking about..creamy low violins and celos.

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #21 of 56
I just got them today by the mail~

My first impression...im shocked.i know im supposed to judge after break in BUT, its really bothering me!!!!!
the quality is good. but somehow i feel all the levels of music all mixed up. my friend said that the sound is muddy.

i USUALLY listen to slow music, but love bass occasionally, whats a good alternative? or will these do fine? i want execptional clarity. m50 good for that?

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #22 of 56

Quote:
I just got them today by the mail~

My first impression...im shocked.i know im supposed to judge after break in BUT, its really bothering me!!!!!
the quality is good. but somehow i feel all the levels of music all mixed up. my friend said that the sound is muddy.

i USUALLY listen to slow music, but love bass occasionally, whats a good alternative? or will these do fine? i want execptional clarity. m50 good for that?

it's a little difficult to understand your comment...  do you like their overall sound?  does the bass bothering you?

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #23 of 56
im confused, because i feel theres alot of unknown, blurred, background music all MINGLED together. i cant really listen to the music itself...but i can tell you as i am speaking, its improving bit by bit....

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #24 of 56

Quote:
im confused, because i feel theres alot of unknown, blurred, background music all MINGLED together. i cant really listen to the music itself...but i can tell you as i am speaking, its improving bit by bit....

what gear are you using?  and what is the resolution of the files (mp3,flac)?

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #25 of 56
Let them burn in, I wasn't too impressed with them right out of the box. They were very sterile and the bass seemed to be over-powering everything. Give them at least 25 hours of burn in, mine really didn't shine until two weeks after I got them. 

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #26 of 56
they should sound very good before burnin kicks in.  mine sounded beautiful right out of the box.   I think that is depends mostly on the gear,the better the system the better they will sound.

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #27 of 56
Also, if you've been working with the exact same pair of headphones every day for a year or two, then anything different will sound weird at first.

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #28 of 56
Also, if you want extreme clarity, I don't think you'll find a perfect solution until you start spending $300+ on a pair of cans.  There was a huge jump in clarity from my M50's to my 990's.  Don't get me wrong, m50's are great but they definitely don't have great separation when compared to $300 cans.

Sep 17, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #29 of 56
The muddied sounds you are hearing are most likely the M50's revealing problems in your source/files that you didn't realize were there before.  I plan on getting a pair of M50's as my first set of closed cans sometime soon.  Just spent too much money on parts and tools to start making some amps...  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back