I currently use Bose QuietComfort Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones.
Aug 22, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #31 of 70
Got a new question.

When listening to music through a PC, what are the "best" Equalizer settings?  I have it the way I think I want it, but I'm open to any suggestions that might point me in the direction of higher quality or more natural sound.

Thanks!

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #32 of 70
Most people tend to stay away from EQ especially when you're looking for a natural sound.  Usually EQing works if your wanting to tweak the sound signature (more bass...)

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #33 of 70

Quote:
Most people tend to stay away from EQ especially when you're looking for a natural sound.  Usually EQing works if your wanting to tweak the sound signature (more bass...)

Fair enough.  I just messed around with the EQ settings one day and the sound seems WAY clearer and more pronounced afterward.  I don't know how to translate that into audiophile language 
redface.gif
 but when I turn the EQ off, the sound feels muffled and soft in comparison.

So, maybe I'm just "doin' it wrong."  I'm not interested in more bass though...

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #34 of 70
Well I would suggest upping the upper mid range, and maybe like the 15-20k range for a bit of sparkle but just a tad. If you want a little more body to vocals and interments try upping the lower mid range. I EQ my AKG K500's to give them a warmer tone and am very happy with the EQ I have on them....now if only someone had a response graph for them so I could actual see where they peak in the high end.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #35 of 70
Three Reasons:

1.)  The ATH-M50's are in HeadRoom's Top 10
http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/10-best-headphones.php

2.)  I have auditioned many headphones at this price point and settled on the ATH-M50 myself.

3.)  The frequency response is well extended, the bass controlled, and 500Hz and 50Hz square wave response are quite good for a can in this price range which means that they reproduce frequencies of multiples of 50Hz and 500Hz which is much of the human hearing range.

If you want an in-ear headphone try the Brainwavz M2.  They will put all of your friends' cans to shame and they are a mere $60.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #36 of 70

Quote:
Three Reasons:

1.)  The ATH-M50's are in HeadRoom's Top 10
http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/top-picks/10-best-headphones.php

2.)  I have auditioned many headphones at this price point and settled on the ATH-M50 myself.

3.)  The frequency response is well extended, the bass controlled, and 500Hz and 50Hz square wave response are quite good for a can in this price range which means that they reproduce frequencies of multiples of 50Hz and 500Hz which is much of the human hearing range.

If you want an in-ear headphone try the Brainwavz M2.  They will put all of your friends' cans to shame and they are a mere $60.

That is awesome!  Do you have any experience with the SRH840's?  If so, what are your thoughts on the comparison?

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #37 of 70
IMO the M50's are meh, they really dont do anything bad, but they dont exceed at anything either. They sound good but they have no...whats the word I'm looking for, zing? They just feel boring. The Shures are very analitical but have body and life to them. Have you considred the Sony MDRv6 or the super big brother the MDR7509/v900HD? someones selling a pair of the v900HD for $90 on here when they are normally about $250.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #38 of 70

Quote:
IMO the M50's are meh, they really dont do anything bad, but they dont exceed at anything either. They sound good but they have no...whats the word I'm looking for, zing? They just feel boring. The Shures are very analitical but have body and life to them. Have you considred the Sony MDRv6 or the super big brother the MDR7509/v900HD? someones selling a pair of the v900HD for $90 on here when they are normally about $250.

Okay.

Shoot straight with me, guys.  I can get the Shure SRH840 right now for $129.  The M50's are $160.  Which to do?!

EDIT: I placed the order for the SRH840's because there was only one in stock, and at $121 off the retail price, it was way too good a deal to pass on.  However, I'm still open to guidance so long as I can still cancel the order. :wink:

Also, how annoying is a coiled cable, really?

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #39 of 70
You probably made the right choice.  A lot of people on this forum love the M50, although when i tried them I didn't find anything special about them.  For the price point they are good, but nothing fantastic.  From what it seems, the 840's should be a good leap ahead of the M50s.

Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #40 of 70
Quote:
Okay.

Shoot straight with me, guys.  I can get the Shure SRH840 right now for $129.  The M50's are $160.  Which to do?!

EDIT: I placed the order for the SRH840's because there was only one in stock, and at $121 off the retail price, it was way too good a deal to pass on.  However, I'm still open to guidance so long as I can still cancel the order. :wink:

Also, how annoying is a coiled cable, really?

The thing I'll find annoying with a coiled cable is if it needs to be stretched and it exerts a pull on the headphones. However, the SRH840's coiled cable is long enough that it shouldn't be a problem for portable/general use and I've never found it to be annoying.

That's a great deal on the SRH840 you got. Hope you enjoy them.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #41 of 70

Quote:
The thing I'll find annoying with a coiled cable is if it needs to be stretched and it exerts a pull on the headphones. However, the SRH840's coiled cable is long enough that it shouldn't be a problem for portable/general use and I've never found it to be annoying.

That's a great deal on the SRH840 you got. Hope you enjoy them.

Me too!

I'm hoping to play music from my laptop to my headphones while the laptop is still in the messenger bag.  Long enough to do so comfortably, or will I need to get a straight cable attachment?

I guess I'll find out soon.  
rolleyes.gif

Aug 23, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #42 of 70
Oh hey, and about my audio popping problem?

My audio periodically pops and it momentarily interrupts whatever sound is going on on the laptop.  It's fairly common and frequent, perhaps once an hour, but occurring without rhyme nor reason.  Any idea what to do about that?  Would a DAC fix that?

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #43 of 70
Get the Shures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #44 of 70

Quote:

Really? I thought the Shures were pretty lifeless and the M50 was quite fun. That was one of the main reasons why I traded away my SRH440.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #45 of 70

Quote:

Really? I thought the Shures were pretty lifeless and the M50 was quite fun. That was one of the main reasons why I traded away my SRH440.

Well, those are the 440's.  Did you have 840's?  Would there be a large difference between 440's and 840's?

I'm not antagonizing you, these are honest questions.  
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back