I am going nuts, I received Audez'e LCD-2 yesterday, cracked today
Feb 29, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #76 of 188

Quote:
Would keeping the LCD-2s on a stand near an open window make them more prone to cracking? East-coaster here, wondering if variable weather combined with the wind rolling through would amplify this cracking business. It's been nice for the past week or so, and only one side of my LCD-2s was cracked, but when I woke up this morning (window was slightly open over night), it was snowing and the other side of my LCD-2s (which had been facing the window) had freshly cracked as well. Not sure if change in moisture would have more of an impact if it's close to the window (or if correlation is in fact causation here).

I'm curious, did it crack around the connectors?  And if so was it a grain crack?

Mar 1, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #82 of 188
Off-topic, but I impregnated that wood.  The more you know.

Quote:
Stabilized wood lets you have your cake and eat it too. Stabilized wood is regular wood that's been impregnated with acrylic resins. It not only stabilizes the wood, preventing problems such as this, but the finish is built in. You can polish the wood just as you would a piece of acrylic. Also, it allows the use of softer woods that wouldn't otherwise be suitable for something like this. Spalted maple for example.

se

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #84 of 188

Just wondering, you don't keep the LCD-s on top of the amp do you?

Heat cycling...

Quick question on this: I have my small page a calender on top of my V200. Is it a problem at all for it? Or were you referring to it causing the headphone to damage? Thanks.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #85 of 188
As far as I could tell, heat dissipation was fine with the stand sitting on top of the Lyr. And I didn't put the headphones back on until the amp was cool, so I figured that wouldn't be an issue. Still, please let me know if this is a bad idea; I'm wary of making mistakes with $1k gear 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #86 of 188
Quick question on this: I have my small page a calender on top of my V200. Is it a problem at all for it? Or were you referring to it causing the headphone to damage? Thanks.

Well, you never want to suffocate your amp by putting stuff on top of it, especially if it's a hot plate like an Asgard, but in this case I was indeed referring to headphone damage. Heat does two things to wood, it evaporates sap and water drying the wood causing the grains to have less 'stuff' holding them together. It also slightly changes the size of wood by exciting the particles. A hot substance is larger than the same amount when cold because the atoms are more active and have more energy that has to be held back, creating stress on the grains. This constant back and forth from hot to cold in addition to the drying of liquids creates the cracks people are having on their LCD2 headphones. I deal with this problem every day in my line of work repairing violins and the sort. For violins we always suggest using some kind of humidifier to keep the wood 'moist' and pliable, or if you are in a high humidity part of the world, de-humifidiers because the wood gets too pliable and warps easily under the pressure of the strings. This is the same reason someone was reporting rusted metal on their LCD3 when they live in Hong Kong, a high humidity area. The water accelerates the process of oxidation, which is what rust (iron oxide) is. In my part of the world gold plated interconnects are sort of a blingy bit, but in Hong Kong you almost have to have gold plated interconnects or your RCA jacks and headphone jack, and all metal interconnects, could literally oxidize together to where you couldn't separate them.
As far as I could tell, heat dissipation was fine with the stand sitting on top of the Lyr. And I didn't put the headphones back on until the amp was cool, so I figured that wouldn't be an issue. Still, please let me know if this is a bad idea; I'm wary of making mistakes with $1k gear :rolleyes:

The risk is low since you are using them when it's on, and you say you wait til it's cool to put them back on the stand. Just don't let them cook like a pig on a spit. :)

pig-on-a-spit.jpg

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #87 of 188
Naturally. I appreciate the advice, definitely something I'll be cautious about; thinking it may be better to just move it off of the amp simply to insure against harm from me being forgetful sometime. 

On a tangentially related note, do you think that purchasing a humidifier would be a good idea for preserving the intact-ness of my LCD-2s then? I am worried that it may do more harm than good simply due to moisture change from it being on then off repeatedly, as it's probably only realistic that I'd run it at night since I'm not around too much during the day.

Quote:
The risk is low since you are using them when it's on, and you say you wait til it's cool to put them back on the stand. Just don't let them cook like a pig on a spit.
smily_headphones1.gif

pig-on-a-spit.jpg

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #88 of 188
If you want to be safe I'd get a humidifier from a cigar shop and store your LCD2 in the wooden box it came in and keep the lid closed. Check the humidifier often to make sure it always has water in it. Or have a humidor made for them, just make sure it's not TOO much humidity. I would consult Audeze for the proper percentage. Usually we keep stringed instruments around 30-50%, but that is with raw wood exposed on the inside of the instrument.

Mar 1, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #89 of 188
Custom humidors look pretty far out of my price range. I suppose I could revert to storing them in the box, but I do suppose that kind of defeats the point of having a headphone stand, eh :/

Quote:
If you want to be safe I'd get a humidifier from a cigar shop and store your LCD2 in the wooden box it came in and keep the lid closed. Check the humidifier often to make sure it always has water in it. Or have a humidor made for them, just make sure it's not TOO much humidity. I would consult Audeze for the proper percentage. Usually we keep stringed instruments around 30-50%, but that is with raw wood exposed on the inside of the instrument.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #90 of 188
you guys should relax and enjoy your headphones, your music, you know what you bought them for in the first place, if you can't deal with owning 1,000$ headphones don't buy them... a humidifier... please

Users who are viewing this thread

Back