I am going nuts, I received Audez'e LCD-2 yesterday, cracked today
Mar 1, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #91 of 188
I appreciate that sentiment, I really do, but as I stated earlier it's a significant financial investment for many people here. As such, I would like to try to preserve resale value if at all possible such that I can mitigate net financial loss in the future. The fact of the matter is that many people see aesthetics as an important aspect of a headphone (which I don't think is unreasonable at this price point). If Audez'e (or other companies for that matter) didn't recognize that, they wouldn't be making these out of wood; headphone aesthetics would be entirely irrelevant, and the only considerations would be build quality, ergonomics, sound quality. Personally, I enjoy the idea that I can come back to a headphone that looks immaculate and pleasing and sounds even better than it looks. Accordingly, a few cracks in the wood will understandably lower resale price in the future.

Quote:
you guys should relax and enjoy your headphones, your music, you know what you bought them for in the first place, if you can't deal with owning 1,000$ headphones don't buy them... a humidifier... please

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #92 of 188
Just because one guy posted about cracked LCD-2 doesn't mean it's the norm, I do realize it's a known issue but I also know that Audeze is always taking care of it, you also have the choice of buying different headphones if this keeps you awake at night, I owned 5 different pairs of LCD-2 and 2 LCD-3 and never had a single problem with the wood.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #93 of 188
I'm communicating with Audeze right now, and I agree that they're being very courteous and cooperative. It's heartening to see a small company with such stellar customer service.
I don't recall ever stating that it was the norm, nor implying that I am terribly heartbroken about the issue. I was simply trying to elucidate my motivation for returning them, since you seemed unclear previously.

Quote:
Just because one guy posted about cracked LCD-2 doesn't mean it's the norm, I do realize it's a known issue but I also know that Audeze is always taking care of it, you also have the choice of buying different headphones if this keeps you awake at night, I owned 5 different pairs of LCD-2 and 2 LCD-3 and never had a single problem with the wood.

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #94 of 188

Quote:
I'm communicating with Audeze right now, and I agree that they're being very courteous and cooperative. It's heartening to see a small company with such stellar customer service.
I don't recall ever stating that it was the norm, nor implying that I am terribly heartbroken about the issue. I was simply trying to elucidate my motivation for returning them, since you seemed unclear previously.

If your headphones cracked you have a right to return them for a pair that does not have a crack.  Do let anyone tell you that you do not have that right.  1K is 1K.  Your headphones should not crack. you should't need a humidifier, you don't need to expect them to be finicky nor should you be lectured that if you can't deal with a 1K headphone don't buy them.    A small amount of LCD's do crack, I've had 3 pairs of LCD-2's  and one LCD-3 loner and my first pair cracked within 5 days.  I really doubt running a humidifier  24/7 would have made a difference with that first pair.  When you buy a 1K headphone it should not be your lot on life to have to deal with whatever troubles come to light soon after owning them.  

Mar 2, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #95 of 188
I have a pair that is cracked on both sides (at the cable junction).  I'm less worried about the aesthetics but I would like to know if anyone experienced any sonic change as their pair cracked.  Honestly, I'm good just using some glue to make sure it holds together but want to make sure that I'm still getting the SQ I paid for.

I assume I already look like a nut with these on going down the street, so a little glue isn't going to make much difference.  Does anyone know what Audeze is saying about these?  More specifically, *should* they be returned and, if so, are we just rolling the dice again and again?  I don't want to return them if the problem is still present...

Mar 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #96 of 188
After seeing the messages about the cracks, I decided to check my R1 and it also is cracked on the right innerside. (It's a very light crack, but still)
I've contacted ALO first as I got it from them, curious what they'll say. I don't feel like exchanging my R1 for a newer version, I just need the wood :)

Mar 5, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #97 of 188
I prefer US companies that at least make their products in house... Schiit happens (not with schiit, they're are well built lol) but I have to applaud any company that doesn't outsource their production.  One of the reasons I love Beyer, they have yet to cave in to greedy outsourcing made in China crap for their main product line.  Made in Germany is best and unlike Senn / AKG who only make their top models in house, Beyer is very reliable & caring for quality.  God love 'em.

I'm pretty sure I'd take a LCD-2 over a hd800 (and probably hd700) but I'd be worried about this too, especially at this price point.  If I am in the market for 1k cans some time in the future, I think it'll come down to the T1 or LCD-2.  At least that's a problem for another day.

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #98 of 188
I am surprised that several of the high end headphones from the likes of Audeze and Hifiman seem to a reputation for having less than stellar build quality. For the price they demand you'd think build quality would be of paramount quality. I believe Beyer cans are made in Germany and it shows - the T1 build quality is glorious. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #99 of 188
Both companies are new, but they certainly provide excellent service to address these problems.  There are problems when Stax 009 first came out.  For the last several years in high-end headphone, Either Hifiman or Audeze has contributed more than Beyer has done.   

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #101 of 188
That would make sense if the wood was not fully cured and still drying, as it would crack as it tries to shrink around the connector.

Kiln-drying the wood and then sealing it to prevent the re-introduction of moisture would prevent this.

Mar 14, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #102 of 188
My 1st pair of LCD2 Rev2 also had a mini crack on the socket but it was very tiny, but the problem is that the wood had uneven varnish on it, and mini tiny "pot holes" in the wood. My dealer quickly exchanged with me a good pair of LCD2 with perfect wood but this pair still had the uneven varnish (its like glue stain that you can see on the wood) . 

Mar 14, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #103 of 188
Looks like they are making corrections to the LCD-2. They are changing the wood and using the LCD-3's connector housings. Shouldn't have to worry about cracks any longer.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600884/audeze-lcd-2-design-update

Mar 14, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #104 of 188
No more wooden box? That's too bad.

I have a housing crack on my R2s that I haven't sent in yet, I wonder if they will replace them with the new LCD3 style metal plugs and "bamboo composite" or if I will get a new set of rosewood rings.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #105 of 188

Quote:
No more wooden box? That's too bad.

I have a housing crack on my R2s that I haven't sent in yet, I wonder if they will replace them with the new LCD3 style metal plugs and "bamboo composite" or if I will get a new set of rosewood rings.

I had two wooden boxes then on the third LCD I went for the travel case.  The travel case is far more functional and a better value than the wooden box.  I never used the wooden boxes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back