I am going nuts, I received Audez'e LCD-2 yesterday, cracked today
Feb 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #46 of 188
Still waiting for mine to be sent back.

Going to be honest, seriously considering selling mine when I get mine back fixed. I know that sounds like an overreaction (maybe it is), but I don't really want to invest $1k into a product that could have some design problems down the line. =/  I know, the 3 year warranty. But bleh, I just feel uneasy with them being a smaller company, and having these problems at that price range. And truthfully, I don't really have a lot of money. It took me an entire year + of saving and setting aside money for my first big audio splurge. Maybe years later when I graduate from school, and have a real job, I'll buy them again. 

I feel terrible for having these thoughts. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #47 of 188
I ordered my LCD-2 from Woo Audio on December 12th and they came in just fine and have had no problems with about 5 hours or more a day. No faulty drivers, cracks, or smells. Shipped in the Army Travel Case. Also fell on rug from my desk twice. Luck of the Dragon? 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 26, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #49 of 188

Quote:
I ordered my LCD-2 from Woo Audio on December 12th and they came in just fine and have had no problems with about 5 hours or more a day. No faulty drivers, cracks, or smells. Shipped in the Army Travel Case. Also fell on rug from my desk twice. Luck of the Dragon? 
tongue_smile.gif

Although my first pair was cracked on one side, let's be real for a minute. Fewer people are going to post here to say "got my LCD-2s today and no cracks!" whereas those of us who do have them are going to complain and/or freak out. Even the first pair I got (with the crack) didn't smell like anything and neither does the replacement pair. They are fine headphones. Unfortunately, with the name Audez'e behind them (and not Sennheiser, AKG or Denon) one does not get that big company reassurance that they are going to take care of any/all problems in the future.

I'm willing to roll the dice with Audez'e and may do so with Hifiman too, which I consider to be even more of a crapshoot.

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #51 of 188
I agree with this.

To be honest, I'm not very familiar with the history of Audeze, and what their track record is on here when it comes to build quality (especially years down the road). But if a handful of people had cracks (and around the same time) then it stands within reason, it was an isolated incident to a batch of them made.

I'm just a really poor student right now, that basically saved up small amounts of money over 2 years to afford them + a nice amp. So for me, it's kind of an issue that I never have that much money at one time (and won't for a couple more years). So I was just pondering whether it's a risk worth taking for me. Like I have to make this money count. So I was thinking beyond just 3 years (the warranty). 

But I think realistically, as you said, it's probably not a common issue. Didn't mean for my post to sound over-dramatic or panic(y). 
Quote:
Although my first pair was cracked on one side, let's be real for a minute. Fewer people are going to post here to say "got my LCD-2s today and no cracks!" whereas those of us who do have them are going to complain and/or freak out. Even the first pair I got (with the crack) didn't smell like anything and neither does the replacement pair. They are fine headphones. Unfortunately, with the name Audez'e behind them (and not Sennheiser, AKG or Denon) one does not get that big company reassurance that they are going to take care of any/all problems in the future.

I'm willing to roll the dice with Audez'e and may do so with Hifiman too, which I consider to be even more of a crapshoot.

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #52 of 188
LCD2s have been cracking since initial production and has never stopped, as evidenced by this thread's OP getting 2 in a row. I would not say it's an isolated batch.

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #53 of 188
Oh see, I didn't know this. Thanks for that.

Do you know if these issues, occur often after they have been fixed by them? Or is it just an issue they have at the start of production of new headphones. Not sure if that question makes sense. I'm just wondering if the build quality issues persist after one sends them in for fixes. 

Quote:
LCD2s have been cracking since initial production and has never stopped, as evidenced by this thread's OP getting 2 in a row. I would not say it's an isolated batch.

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #54 of 188
This is an ongoing issue that is not a majority of their yield. You simply have to keep returning them until you get a good one. There is a 3 year warranty so you can keep returning during that duration should something crack. You lose shipping cost each time, though, I believe.

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #55 of 188
Even though the OP had two bad pairs I have had two good ones for what it's worth.

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #56 of 188

Quote:
I'm just a really poor student right now, that basically saved up small amounts of money over 2 years to afford them + a nice amp. So for me, it's kind of an issue that I never have that much money at one time (and won't for a couple more years). So I was just pondering whether it's a risk worth taking for me. Like I have to make this money count. So I was thinking beyond just 3 years (the warranty). 

I so feel for you dude. There was a time when I had to save the little I had for something. Imagine all that time and resistance to spending and you still got nothing. I wish you luck. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
There is a 3 year warranty so you can keep returning during that duration should something crack. You lose shipping cost each time, though, I believe.

Audeze should NEVER charge you shipping if you get it in with a crack or it cracks within the first 30 days. NEVER. They must handle S&H in these situations, ALWAYS. After 30 days, you must pay shipping, or you can buy a SquareTrade warranty for $100 and you can have it shipped for free around 18 times for the next three years.

Feb 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #57 of 188
Had mine since Wednesday (if I recall); crack just appeared on the right cup in the usual place, right along the line of the plug on the cup.

...<sigh>

Anyone know if they replace the wood and send you the same unit, or d'you get a new unit entirely? Wondering if I'll have to go back through burn-in.

Feb 26, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #59 of 188
It's tempting, but for the sake of preventing further damage and preserving some semblance of resale value (important if the LCD-2 is a pretty big financial commitment initially), it's probably worth having them replaced for many people. At least, those are my reasons for swapping.

Quote:
If I had gotten those I would have been pretty pissed... And then slapped duct tape on it and enjoyed some relaxing music.

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #60 of 188
I swear since this thread went up and the lcd3 consistency got out of hand the market value of the lcd2 has tanked as a result :frowning2:

FWIW I've probably had 4 pairs of r1 in my possession and 1 r2 over the years. None of them had any issues with the wood and I live in a super dry state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back