HZSOUNDS Heart Mirror
Mar 23, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #31 of 93
Thanks, I checked anandtech, and they seem to view the snapdragon chipset quite highly. I also find it to be nice, though I perceive my MacBook Pro to be significantly overpowered and clean(at least perceived cleanliness, it may be a bias for loudness). Anyway, any suggestion for pure amp for around $50?
I'm not much help in suggesting amps. I now have a Sony Xperia 5ii phone, again with a Cirrus DAC, and it even drives my KBear Believes quite well, which are notorious for needing power. To get a better sound than my HiBy R5 I had to get an iFi hip-dac. My FiiO E17k Alpen amp doesn't bring a better sound than my Sony phone. Because your phone has such good audio you might need to spend a little more on an amp/dac to upgrade the sound.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #32 of 93
I'm not much help in suggesting amps. I now have a Sony Xperia 5ii phone, again with a Cirrus DAC, and it even drives my KBear Believes quite well, which are notorious for needing power. To get a better sound than my HiBy R5 I had to get an iFi hip-dac. My FiiO E17k Alpen amp doesn't bring a better sound than my Sony phone. Because your phone has such good audio you might need to spend a little more on an amp/dac to upgrade the sound.
Good to know, no wonder even with er4sr I never felt missing out. I also checked the internet, many are saying that snapdragon s10e has a better dac compared to the Cirrus dac in exynos s10e. I guess I lucked out. :yum:

Mar 23, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #33 of 93
Ah finally a dedicated thread!
HeatMirror is well worth in terms of value-to-money performance in the single DD sector.
Hope HZSound keeps this quality in future releases.

Mar 23, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #34 of 93
Good to know, no wonder even with er4sr I never felt missing out. I also checked the internet, many are saying that snapdragon s10e has a better dac compared to the Cirrus dac in exynos s10e. I guess I lucked out. :yum:
Just tested the Heart Mirror on 4 different devices. Also the Heart Mirror needs a very wide barrel eartip. I struggled to get some L Azla Sedna's on. I have a Faaeal 3.5mm jack cable on it. So I used FiiO M6, Galaxy S9 plus, Xperia 5ii and the HiBy R5. If your S10e is similar to my S9 plus it drives them well. On my FiiO M6 and Sony 5ii I had to have the volume fairly high to power them. The HiBy R5 and Samsung Galaxy S9 plus both powered them fine. They do need some juice to drive them but my Samsung does well with them. They have a really nice midrange and very nice timbre. They are not for bassheads, but really make vocals and guitars sound great.

Mar 24, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #35 of 93
Btw, I was also curious as to whether there is a standalone amp for the price of the sonata hd pro which can dish out more power. I have a er4sr, so a better amp would certainly be a better option for me (I will buy a dac later on). I like neutral or slightly bright sound signature, so it would be best if the amp doesn't color the sound. Also I have an 3.55mm se to 1/4"(6.3mm) unbalanced adapter from my ety purchase. It would be nice if I can use it. Any help would be appreciated.

The Tempotec Sonata HD Pro can drive the HZSound Heart Mirror acceptably, but only if it is tricked to output the max voltage. This is done by putting a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter onto the Sonata HD Pro so it goes to 2V max output (otherwise its default output is dependent on the impedance of the connected IEM). Of course the HZSound Heart Mirror sounds better on a dedicated desktop amp, but I bought the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro at $27 USD during the last sale, and the 3.5 mm adapter was about 1 dollar or so. Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is rather neutral too, so no colouring of the sound per se.

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #36 of 93
There's no doubt it's always possible to improve audio from most sources and even the best phone audio can be improved. So both my Samsung S9 plus and my Sony Xperia 5ii are clearly improved by my iFi Hip-Dac. Definitely follow the advice of those who can recommend Amps or DAC/Amps who have good experience with them.

Mar 24, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #37 of 93
The Tempotec Sonata HD Pro can drive the HZSound Heart Mirror acceptably, but only if it is tricked to output the max voltage. This is done by putting a 3.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter onto the Sonata HD Pro so it goes to 2V max output (otherwise its default output is dependent on the impedance of the connected IEM). Of course the HZSound Heart Mirror sounds better on a dedicated desktop amp, but I bought the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro at $27 USD during the last sale, and the 3.5 mm adapter was about 1 dollar or so. Tempotec Sonata HD Pro is rather neutral too, so no colouring of the sound per se.
Damn, you got them for $27!!! Anyway I already have it in my list (from your suggestion), I was just wondering whether I should just buy a dedicated amp or not. If they were of similar price range as sonata hd pro, and has more power I would certainly buy it.

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #38 of 93
Damn, you got them for $27!!! Anyway I already have it in my list (from your suggestion), I was just wondering whether I should just buy a dedicated amp or not. If they were of similar price range as sonata hd pro, and has more power I would certainly buy it.

A dedicated amp is for sure better in output power than the sonata HD Pro (with the 3.5 mm trick). Even with that trick, it can't drive planars or very low sensitivity/high impedance stuff

Mar 25, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #39 of 93
This Amplifier has good reviews, appears to be relatively powerful and may be within your budget. Check out the reviews. If you have access to Amazon try it, if it does not suit your requirements you can return it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GH3K...abc_BVPD9TDNPVM59HPDRQ85?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Mar 25, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #40 of 93
This Amplifier has good reviews, appears to be relatively powerful and may be within your budget. Check out the reviews. If you have access to Amazon try it, if it does not suit your requirements you can return it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GH3K...abc_BVPD9TDNPVM59HPDRQ85?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, they seem to be perfect, but why are they not available in us?? I have seen some amp in that price bracket in amazon us, I am just not sure whether they are any good. Maybe I should just order a bunch of them, and see if they are any good.

Mar 25, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #41 of 93
Thanks, they seem to be perfect, but why are they not available in us?? I have seen some amp in that price bracket in amazon us, I am just not sure whether they are any good. Maybe I should just order a bunch of them, and see if they are any good.
I am surprised that particular model is not available in the US.

Get those available, try them and if any of them is not what you want you are entitled to return them.....you are the customer. Also, tell us which one you eventually got.

Mar 25, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #43 of 93
If I may ask, was your R5 used as a transport for hip-dac, or was it replaced by it?
I use both. I use my phones as the transport for the hip-dac. On it's own I use the HiBy R5.
When I want the best sound I use the hip-dac, it has the Burr-Brown sound I like. It has more than enough power for any headphone or IEM that I have and a great DAC sound. A perfect little Amp/DAC. When I'm walking around, the HiBy R5 is very small, easy to carry around and also sounds good and drives all my IEMs.
I just recently changed my phone for the Sony Xperia 5ii which sounds excellent too, but just hasn't got the power of the hip-dac, but is a good transport for the hip-dac. The hip-dac is a seriously good bit of kit and drives IEMs like the KBear Believe to their full potential with power to spare. The only negative is getting a thin and bendy enough cable to stack it easily. The hip-dac is a clear upgrade on sound to the iBasso DX160, FiiO M9 and HiBy R5. of which I've had the lot, and it is pretty unique in styling too.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #44 of 93
I use both. I use my phones as the transport for the hip-dac. On it's own I use the HiBy R5.
When I want the best sound I use the hip-dac, it has the Burr-Brown sound I like. It has more than enough power for any headphone or IEM that I have and a great DAC sound. A perfect little Amp/DAC. When I'm walking around, the HiBy R5 is very small, easy to carry around and also sounds good and drives all my IEMs.
I just recently changed my phone for the Sony Xperia 5ii which sounds excellent too, but just hasn't got the power of the hip-dac, but is a good transport for the hip-dac. The hip-dac is a seriously good bit of kit and drives IEMs like the KBear Believe to their full potential with power to spare. The only negative is getting a thin and bendy enough cable to stack it easily. The hip-dac is a clear upgrade on sound to the iBasso DX160, FiiO M9 and HiBy R5. of which I've had the lot, and it is pretty unique in styling too.
I am soooo.....tempted to get the Zen DAC. My reservations about the Hip-dac is the reports I read about the battery life.

Mar 25, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #45 of 93

Thanks, for a second there I thought that you had them stacked. And yes, R5s are brilliant small do-it-all thingies and one our staff member has one just for pure pleasure.

I am soooo.....tempted to get the Zen DAC. My reservations about the Hip-dac is the reports I read about the battery life.

Performance wise ZEN DAC is essentially our hip-dac for desktop use and without batteris :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back