HYLA Audio Nerva X & CE-05 Impression thread
Jun 13, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #106 of 215
Nice. I felt the no5 and ce-5 were a great match up as well. Shame about the limited run though. Hopefully Hyla we do another at some point.

Jun 13, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #107 of 215
Nice. I felt the no5 and ce-5 were a great match up as well. Shame about the limited run though. Hopefully Hyla we do another at some point.

Had been pairing it with my Orb Clear Force Ultimate and it's also a very good match tho I'm still testing whether something would give it just a tiny bit more lo-mid thickness but not so much as the no.5 or Ares.

Had been testing it out a bit with the Gold 16 and think may be that's the ultimate answer, though it costs as much as the iem itself............

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #108 of 215
I'm considering upgrading to the 8-wire version. Hoping it'll expands things a bit without having to spend too much.

Have you asked Hyla if they're doing a reproduction? You might get a straight answer from them.

Edit 2: O̶n̶ ̶a̶n̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶e̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶n̶c̶h̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶d̶i̶f̶f̶e̶r̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶i̶p̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶r̶r̶i̶b̶l̶e̶.̶ ̶C̶o̶m̶p̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶s̶p̶i̶r̶a̶l̶ ̶d̶o̶t̶s̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶k̶i̶l̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶r̶e̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶n̶d̶s̶t̶a̶g̶e̶.̶ ̶F̶r̶e̶q̶u̶e̶n̶c̶y̶ ̶s̶o̶u̶n̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶e̶i̶r̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶.̶
I think the excessive seal from pushing in too much made the frequency sound wonky with the bigger/shallower tips. I Just needed to break the seal and readjust for it to sound normal again.

I think these need a deep insertion to sound their best, so I'm sticking with the small stock tips. I was really hoping to smooth over the treble so these would suit metal better. Looks like Oriolus is still the better option. Wish it had the Hyla's quickness and control in the bass. It's unbelievably satisfying.

Edit: I went home and tried some more tips. I found that the stock foams tips were a little different than the Comply isolation tips. The bore was slightly shorter and wider at the end. They sounded more balanced than the Comply. I'm also ordering smaller Spiral tips and Spinfits for deeper insertions. I'll think about the acoustune, since there's no local dealer here in the US.

The small sized Symbio tips were good too since they also went deep. I've decided to stick with these since they're more comfortable (the stock foams were a little too big for my small ear canals). They also have a really tight fit around the nozzle. Less chance of slipping off the slippery nozzle.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #110 of 215
I'm considering upgrading to the 8-wire version. Hoping it'll expands things a bit without having to spend too much.

Have you asked Hyla if they're doing a reproduction? You might get a straight answer from them.

On another note, I tried a bunch of different tips for these and found they were horrible. Comply, spiral dots, and such all killed the treble and soundstage. Frequency sounded weird too.

I think these need a deep insertion to sound their best, so I'm sticking with the small stock tips. I was really hoping to smooth over the treble so these would suit metal better. Looks like Oriolus is still the better option. Wish it had the Hyla's quickness and control in the bass. It's unbelievably satisfying.

Edit: I went home and tried some more tips. I found that the stock foams tips were a little different than the Comply isolation tips. The bore was slightly shorter and wider at the end. They sounded more balanced than the Comply. I'm also ordering smaller Spiral tips and Spinfits for deeper insertions. I'll think about the acoustune, since there's no local dealer here in the US.

The small sized Symbio tips were good too since they also went deep. I've decided to stick with these since they're more comfortable (the stock foams were a little too big for my small ear canals). They also have a really tight fit around the nozzle. Less chance of slipping off the slippery nozzle.

I settled on the Acoustune AET07 tips for my CE-5. The AET08 also works but I could do without the extra bass slam. Final tips change the sound too much as always and are not preferred. Spiral Dots also works well but comfort and costs-wise the AET07 won over. Both produce consistent sound that doesn't deviate from the sound with the stock silicon tips, which themselves are actually not bad.

Never liked the Symbios but did try them on my CE-5 as well. Problem with the Symbios is that its rigidity, as well as its shape, tends to change the shape of the ear canal instead of moulding to the canal's shape, thereby straining the muscles and varying the outcome sound a lot during and between listening sessions.

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #111 of 215
I settled on the Acoustune AET07 tips for my CE-5. The AET08 also works but I could do without the extra bass slam. Final tips change the sound too much as always and are not preferred. Spiral Dots also works well but comfort and costs-wise the AET07 won over. Both produce consistent sound that doesn't deviate from the sound with the stock silicon tips, which themselves are actually not bad.

Never liked the Symbios but did try them on my CE-5 as well. Problem with the Symbios is that its rigidity, as well as its shape, tends to change the shape of the ear canal instead of moulding to the canal's shape, thereby straining the muscles and varying the outcome sound a lot during and between listening sessions.

You may be right about the Symbio's straining the muscles. My right ear canal is starting hurt... I'll order the Acoustune 07 & 08 tips in small tonight from MTMTaudio (the only place I see them being sold at so far). Wish they had a variety pack like Comply, so I can try the mediums as well. Been spending too much on tips recently.

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #112 of 215
If you have been using small comply tips or small spiral dots, try medium tips for the Acoustune.

I have been using Comply small tips for Oriolus Mk2 and small tips Acoustune 08 for my Hyla until a day when I went to the same audio store to try out the medium size tips of the 08. Surprisingly, the medium tips is more comfortable than the small tips for the 08. YMMV.

You may be right about the Symbio's straining the muscles. My right ear canal is starting hurt... I'll order the Acoustune 07 & 08 tips in small tonight from MTMTaudio (the only place I see them being sold at so far). Wish they had a variety pack like Comply, so I can try the mediums as well. Been spending too much on tips recently.

Jun 14, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #113 of 215
If you have been using small comply tips or small spiral dots, try medium tips for the Acoustune.

I have been using Comply small tips for Oriolus Mk2 and small tips Acoustune 08 for my Hyla until a day when I went to the same audio store to try out the medium size tips of the 08. Surprisingly, the medium tips is more comfortable than the small tips for the 08. YMMV.

Usually both M and L size acoustune tips fit me, difference is in how deep/shallow fit affects the sound on that particular iem. On the CE-5 I found both work to a certain extent - I prefer M size with a deep fit, but the L size works fine as long as I wear it deeper on the stem with the tip opening closer to the sound bore opening.

Jun 16, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #114 of 215
I just bought myself a pair of HYLA CE-5 about 2 weeks ago and I found the lower mids to be a little lacking. Have tried a few cable matchings and found that PWAudio's Sevenfold Copper (4 core) seems to work really well in giving the lower mids more body. Would probably get No. 5 sometime later too but as of now, I prefer the Sevenfold Copper pairing when I auditioned them both in an audio store I've tried.

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #115 of 215
Just a few days ago, i had bought a acoustune ACR23 cable with original pentaconn 4.4mm.

When i test it, i notice it is more relax than Ares ii plus which has more energy. Ares ii plus become more shouty while ARC23 has more black background. Therefore, i can increase the volume using Acoustune ARC23 without the high energy of treble like Ares II plus. I am not use to this more black background from ARC23 after using Ares II plus for quite a while. But I still buy it due to the original pentaconn 4.4mm original plug.

After using for few days, I notice I like this cable a lot than Ares II plus. The black background does not mean less treble but the treble and clarity is still there without the shouty feeling so i can enjoy the music plus the bass seems even more textual.

It seems my thirst for better iem or setup has gone. My current setup seems to be my endgame for now. Currently my setup is wm1a, acoustune tip AET 07, Acoustune ACR23, and CE-5.

While i like my current setup but I am curious about the 64 audio N8t which is also hybrid. Wonder how it compare to CE-5. But the price for the N8t might deter me from buying. Anyone has compare these 2 iems?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #116 of 215
I am enjoying my current setup and not checking out other IEMs now. There are new TOTL IEMs coming out every month with new design or technology, and can't test them all. Certainly can't get them all. The more I read, the more wastage. :smile_phones:

Enjoy your "endgame".

Just a few days ago, i had bought a acoustune ACR23 cable with original pentaconn 4.4mm.

When i test it, i notice it is more relax than Ares ii plus which has more energy. Ares ii plus become more shouty while ARC23 has more black background. Therefore, i can increase the volume using Acoustune ARC23 without the high energy of treble like Ares II plus. I am not use to this more black background from ARC23 after using Ares II plus for quite a while. But I still buy it due to the original pentaconn 4.4mm original plug.

After using for few days, I notice I like this cable a lot than Ares II plus. The black background does not mean less treble but the treble and clarity is still there without the shouty feeling so i can enjoy the music plus the bass seems even more textual.

It seems my thirst for better iem or setup has gone. My current setup seems to be my endgame for now. Currently my setup is wm1a, acoustune tip AET 07, Acoustune ACR23, and CE-5.

While i like my current setup but I am curious about the 64 audio N8t which is also hybrid. Wonder how it compare to CE-5. But the price for the N8t might deter me from buying. Anyone has compare these 2 iems?

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #117 of 215
I finally got around to listening to these through the AMP2 (SE) on the DX200 with the stock cable. This amp is much warmer than AMP1 and AMP4. With the spiral dot tips, the Hyla's become very smooth. Still not as thick as the Oriolus, but enough that I'm now considering of letting that go.

Surprisingly, the Ares II+ was much tighter, but harsher as well in the treble. I couldn't test the No.5 since I didn't have a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter.

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #119 of 215
Think I can conclude the CE-5 sounds best with a shallow fit. Deep fit (not matter how well fitted it is) reduces the volume of air in the canal and the HYLA's DD need that much air to breath and to sound right. L size stock and spiral dots and AET08 all good matches as long as the iem isn't crammed too deep into the canal - it sounds best with the tip just gelled to the opening of the ear.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #120 of 215
Think I can conclude the CE-5 sounds best with a shallow fit. Deep fit (not matter how well fitted it is) reduces the volume of air in the canal and the HYLA's DD need that much air to breath and to sound right. L size stock and spiral dots and AET08 all good matches as long as the iem isn't crammed too deep into the canal - it sounds best with the tip just gelled to the opening of the ear.

I can't seem to decide which tips I like best. The small tips get loose in my right ear after a while. I'm now using the small stock foams.

Also, the acoustune tips I ordered are stuck in customs... I've never had anything get stuck in customs before. Not even the Hyla...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back