Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 11, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #18,677 of 18,905
In the TT2 manual (page 21), it is said: "Please do not connect both XLR & RCA to amplifiers simultaneously, this will damage TT 2"

What exactly does it mean? I think there are at least two possible interpretations:

Interpretation one: "... do not connect both XLR & RCA to two amplifiers simultaneously... "
(i.e. XLR outputs to one amplifier and RCA outputs to another)
...or/and...
Interpretation two: "... do not connect both XLR & RCA to the same amplifier simultaneously... "

Which one is correct? Or both?

And what about other options (e.g. one XLR and one RCA output to one amplifier and the second XLR and RCA output to another, etc.)?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 7:06 AM Post #18,678 of 18,905
In the TT2 manual (page 21), it is said: "Please do not connect both XLR & RCA to amplifiers simultaneously, this will damage TT 2"

What exactly does it mean? I think there are at least two possible interpretations:

Interpretation one: "... do not connect both XLR & RCA to two amplifiers simultaneously... "
...or/and...
Interpretation two: "... do not connect both XLR & RCA to the same amplifier simultaneously... "

And what about other options (e.g. one XLR and one RCA output to one amplifier and the second XLR and RCA output to another, etc.)?

I think it means using RCA or XLR when using the TT2, but not both at the same time. At least that's the safe route. In other words, one connection to one amp.

In my case, I use an RCA switcher for different amps, which has been fine.

Feb 11, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #18,679 of 18,905

...or/and...

Hi, both are correct you shouldn’t not use RCA or XLR both Connected . To my understanding both connections draw for the same place and could be to much for the TT2 …

I had the same question , even if you have both connected but use just one at a time , it’s not advice to do so… but know that some use it like this and didn’t had problems…

Feb 11, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #18,680 of 18,905

...or/and...

I agree it’s best not to do this either way, however, there was this post indicating it shouldn’t be a problem:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-383#post-14997040

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #18,681 of 18,905
@ Rob Watts
Are you able to provide the current 'best practice' view regarding the previous recent posts?

I recognise that Chords advice may partly be intended to prevent owners repeating previous mistakes from a few years ago, where TT2 owners tried to drive their TT2s too hard, resulting in burnt out components in the amp stages.
However there are posts from several owners describing how they successfully use both XLR & RCA in parallel, but with one of them being used to provide the input to an active subwoofer.
A simple search of this thread using the search term 'subwoofer' provides a list of examples of them.

Would Chord now be unhappy for owners to use one of the TT2 outputs to drive active subwoofers?

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #18,682 of 18,905
I think this advice came about as a number of completely crazy pre-amps and amps short unused inputs or short them when powered down. Running TT2 continuously into a short can damage it, as TT2 is capable of delivering 4A (and much more than this dynamically).

Driving amps and subwoofers at the same time, with both powered up, is safe, so long as TT2 OP is never being shorted.

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #18,685 of 18,905
I think this advice came about as a number of completely crazy pre-amps and amps short unused inputs or short them when powered down. Running TT2 continuously into a short can damage it, as TT2 is capable of delivering 4A (and much more than this dynamically).
Presumably newer designs can include the capability to detect a short circuit and show an error status to the user.

Feb 13, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #18,686 of 18,905
DCS is on fire bringing out some great products recently. I hope Chord can do the same with the dacs. DCS has the Lina system dedicated to headphones. Chord need to design the next Dave with that in mind. Having to choose the Hugo tt2 over the Dave just because it drives headphones better is back to front

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 5:04 AM Post #18,687 of 18,905
The mechanism is that the impedance of each end of the cable is different and that this varies with frequency. With mismatching the cable is effectively "tuned"...

Many digital cables have a pair of ferrites on them, one at each end, specifically to minimise mismatched impedances.

That is not how ferrites work, sorry. With all the cable structures we can create that work as intended ferrites ONLY affect the common mode impedance, which applies to conducted/received interference. While differential mode impedance (which applies to the signal and differential mode noise) remains unchanged by ferrites.

I'd really like to see the technical article that makes different claims.

Thor

Feb 14, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #18,688 of 18,905
I'd really like to see the technical article that makes different claims.

There's plenty of other videos which are also worth watching on this channel.

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:38 AM Post #18,689 of 18,905

There's plenty of other videos which are also worth watching on this channel.

Yes, he is commenting on COMMON MODE RF CURRENT, not the actual signal passing through the cable and on the the ability of the cable (shield) to act as transmitting antennae for this current. (small edits for clarity)

Thor

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #18,690 of 18,905
Yes, he is commenting on COMMON MODE RF CURRENT, not the actual signal passing through the cable and the ability of the cable (shield) to act as transmitting antennae.
Good, you admit you were wrong:

Ferrites on cables add COMMON MODE impedance and by their nature ferrites are well damped, or more precisely lossy (need to.be to their job) so neither noise nor signal can be amplified by adding ferrites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back