Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 3, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #18,002 of 18,905
so general consensus, optimal connection for HQPlayer into TT2 are

usb > OPTO-dx (with or without dc-block + lpfilter?)
what BNC cables? saw some people mention the stock from audiowise is good enough

thanks!
You also need the SRC DX in that case to make dualdata bnc out of USB.

Sep 3, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #18,003 of 18,905
that's what I meant, thanks for correcting, I edited my post

Sep 4, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #18,004 of 18,905
Nice reductions. Where did you buy yours?
Sorry I just saw your question, Paul @ HiFi Lounge.

I've also ordered the Focal Stellia with a £600 trade in offer, Paul and I had a little chuckle about the savings I've made buying these items now. It was just a coincidence that I decided to get my "end-game" setup now but it was great to save £1600 at the same time.

I listened to the flagship Planars at CanJam, we all know the ones, and I just didn't get them so I've saved a few grand and gone for the Focal option which has a better overall sound signature to my ears and is a bit cheaper too.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #18,005 of 18,905
Guys, I need your help since I will be moving my TT2 setup to another desk I've got an idea that sometimes I would like to listen using speakers so I could have music in the background when I can not use headphones for listening (calls etc.). Since the space is always precious and I failed to find passive speakers of reasonable size that can sit on my desk I started looking for active ones so I will not have to worry about an amp. That is how I found Audioengine A2+ (the are really small) and A5+. I've search this thread and found only one mention of those speakers paired with OG TT.

Can anyone comment on those and let me know if it makes sense in the first place, secondly if there are any competive products of similar sizes that pair very well with TT2. I would not like to miss Chord clarity, air, musicality and detail. I don't care much about bass, just do not want it to sound artificial or exaggerated. At the same time I need something small and near field. Thank you in advance :)

Sep 4, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #18,006 of 18,905
you might be able to get passives and habe the tt2 power them if they are sensitive enouhh

just remember you cant have both the rca and xlr outputs plugged in at same time, but xlr or rca then plugging in headphones will work

i had a5s as my first speakers and they amazing, but look into their passove line as well, not sure if the tt2 can drive them tho

Sep 4, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #18,007 of 18,905
you might be able to get passives and habe the tt2 power them if they are sensitive enouhh

just remember you cant have both the rca and xlr outputs plugged in at same time, but xlr or rca then plugging in headphones will work

i had a5s as my first speakers and they amazing, but look into their passove line as well, not sure if the tt2 can drive them tho
You can actually have the XLR and RCA both outputting at the same time. I’ve been running this for 4 years now. XLR to Omega SAMs and RCA to Elac subwoofer. Sounds great, but would be too big for OPs desktop needs.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #18,008 of 18,905
Guys, I need your help since I will be moving my TT2 setup to another desk I've got an idea that sometimes I would like to listen using speakers so I could have music in the background when I can not use headphones for listening (calls etc.). Since the space is always precious and I failed to find passive speakers of reasonable size that can sit on my desk I started looking for active ones so I will not have to worry about an amp. That is how I found Audioengine A2+ (the are really small) and A5+. I've search this thread and found only one mention of those speakers paired with OG TT.

Can anyone comment on those and let me know if it makes sense in the first place, secondly if there are any competive products of similar sizes that pair very well with TT2. I would not like to miss Chord clarity, air, musicality and detail. I don't care much about bass, just do not want it to sound artificial or exaggerated. At the same time I need something small and near field. Thank you in advance :)

Smaller than A5, but sound way better than A5: Genelec 8020 (near field studio purpose)

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #18,009 of 18,905

Chord TToby amplifier and Eclipse T-D speakers.

Amplifier is same foot print as TT2 and the Eclipse are simply stunning near field single driver speakers.

I personally have owned every model in the range and use TD 712z daily.
Desk top use try 508s or 510s.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:39 AM Post #18,010 of 18,905
Chord TToby amplifier and Eclipse T-D speakers.

Amplifier is same foot print as TT2 and the Eclipse are simply stunning near field single driver speakers.

I personally have owned every model in the range and use TD 712z daily.
Desk top use try 508s or 510s.
@rocketron I refuse to buy TToby due to 2 reasons:

1. Internal fans that can be loud - even units sent to reviewers had this fault. For the same reason I didn't even wanted to listen to Ani.
2. As I understand TToby will be now replaced by BerTTi but I don't know anything about it yet and if it still retains internal fans I'm not interested.

Other than that I love the Eclipse design but at the moment I'm looking for a quick-fix and more budget option.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #18,011 of 18,905
@rocketron I refuse to buy TToby due to 2 reasons:

1. Internal fans that can be loud - even units sent to reviewers had this fault. For the same reason I didn't even wanted to listen to Ani.
2. As I understand TToby will be now replaced by BerTTi but I don't know anything about it yet and if it still retains internal fans I'm not interested.

Other than that I love the Eclipse design but at the moment I'm looking for a quick-fix and more budget option.
I didn’t even know the TToby had a fan.

I have never heard a fan noise from mine.

I know the Anni has a fan installed.

Sep 4, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #18,012 of 18,905
I didn’t even know the TToby had a fan.

I have never heard a fan noise from mine.

I know the Anni has a fan installed.
@rocketron here is one review that mentions it: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/chord-ttoby

Glad yours is dead quite :) It also seems that buying new TToby can be a challange as I've made a quick search out of curiosity and most local dealers don't even carry a single demo unit anymore. Overall TToby would be indeed perfect due to its size and form.

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #18,013 of 18,905
Quick search on eBay there are 7 for sale some demo stock and at £1880 ish

Quick speed read of 4 other reviews and only mention of fan or fans is it contains 4 to cool the mosfets.

One reviewer uses it from his Chord Dave and another reviewer chooses the TToby over the Benchmark.

I also used to have a Benchmark amplifier.

Have a look at the other reviews.
I can’t even see how it needs fans as it never gets hot.
In fact even with the heat of today it’s slightly warm.

Quite a achievement as it’s class A/B and not a digital amp.

If you would like a smaller amplifier see if you can find a Flying Mole digital amp.

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #18,014 of 18,905

Focal Shape 40s, i had the Shape 50 thought they were great with the TT2 added a rel sub later on. Now changed to the PMC Result 6 bit big though

Sep 4, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #18,015 of 18,905
I can’t even see how it needs fans as it never gets hot.
In fact even with the heat of today it’s slightly warm.
If it's like Etude, then the fan is always running.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back