Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 8, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #17,581 of 18,886
I‘ve got my tt2 now for 3 weeks, keeping it after comparing to RME ADI2 Dac as cheep solution and T+A Dac 200 as comparably priced. I give high five to myself for my decision, because i enjoy listening more than ever. The decision based on listening, and partly on selfquestioning: why don‘t i enjoy listening to Music which i loved even with my old SPL Director mkii, which i sold due to sounding to soft and unprecise. No fun in listening has been my experience with every Dac i heard, which was done by technicians for technichians and hyped on ASR - in this case the RME. Nothing bad to be said about it, but nothing good either. Somehow unlively. The thought, having to spend the future with it, making me sad. Back to sender.
Hugo and T+A arrived same time, so i switched back and forth. I admit, i would have preferred the T+A due to rugged build and look and Input-Options. Only, Hugo was better. Especially in non perfect recordings the T+A tended to get harsh, where tt2 still was able to deliver airiness and smootheness.
There i am, a happy fellow mostly listening to classical stuff delivered by Innuos Zenith SE into Hugo which is delivering to SPL Performer S1200 and Audio Physic Codex and AKG K812. Cheers!
:beerchug:
I love this, thank you for being honest. Some would fool themselves because they try to hear what they read, especially on that site you referenced, I had a similar experience where the Chord DAC trashed all other DACs I heard at the store, I didn't even know what it was! Glad I found Rob Watts and Chord, I now greatly enjoy my music, happy listening!

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #17,583 of 18,886
I recently updated to Tidal as the source for my TT2. I was expecting it to show a different color from Spotify in the port window showing a higher resolution. I'm still just seeing red, which I thought was lowest quality even on the hifi or Master options. Am I missing anything? Thanks.

Feb 9, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #17,584 of 18,886
I recently updated to Tidal as the source for my TT2. I was expecting it to show a different color from Spotify in the port window showing a higher resolution. I'm still just seeing red, which I thought was lowest quality even on the hifi or Master options. Am I missing anything? Thanks.
TT2 doesn't support MQA so unclear where Tidal maxes out for non-MQA feeds but Redbook wouldn't surprise me. Is Tidal app acting as MQA decoder or do you have any upstream devices? If they support other modes beyond MQA passthrough you may want to play with those settings.

Feb 9, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #17,585 of 18,886
If you're on Windows, make sure Tidal is using WASAPI Exclusive mode with the TT2. If it's going through the Windows mixer, you're not getting bit-perfect audio. You can test this by adjusting the volume in Windows. If the music's volume changes with that, then it's most likely not using WASAPI Exclusive mode.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #17,587 of 18,886
Feb 10, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #17,588 of 18,886
The Susvara is a very power hungry HP so it benefits a lot by being driven with the extra power reserves that a speaker amp like TToby has. It can be driven by the XLR outs of the TT2 as well and I guess you have the adapter for doing that?

My setup is fairly typical: HMS --> Dual BNC cables --> TT2 --> RCA Interconnects --> TToby --> Speaker taps adapter (banana plugs to 4-pin XLR) --> 4-pin XLR HP cable --> 1266 TC

Attached are photos of the back of the TToby with the adapter and how the 4-pin XLR HP cable connects to it.

EDIT: Adding a photo of the dual 3-pin XLR to 4pin-XLR and the banana plugs to 4-pin-XLR adapters for your reference.
Where did you get the TT2 > Susvara XLR adapter?

Feb 10, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #17,589 of 18,886
Feb 10, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #17,591 of 18,886
Feb 18, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #17,592 of 18,886
I’ve been thinking about buying a TT2 but would want to make sure I get the maximum usage out of it. My hope would be to use it as a headphone amp, a DAC for my DNA Stratus and as a DAC/Preamp for my near-field monitors.

What sort of challenges would I have in implementing a setup like this? If I have my Stratus hooked up to RCA outputs and the speakers connected to XLR, could I risk sending too much power to Stratus as I adjust volume on speakers? Or would it be OK if I have Stratus volume down or amp turned off?

Appreciate any thoughts. I’m probably overthinking this.

Alternative would be I just use as TT2 as a DAC and headphone amp, then the GS-X Mini stays in place as pre-amp for the monitors.

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #17,593 of 18,886
I’ve been thinking about buying a TT2 but would want to make sure I get the maximum usage out of it. My hope would be to use it as a headphone amp, a DAC for my DNA Stratus and as a DAC/Preamp for my near-field monitors.

What sort of challenges would I have in implementing a setup like this? If I have my Stratus hooked up to RCA outputs and the speakers connected to XLR, could I risk sending too much power to Stratus as I adjust volume on speakers? Or would it be OK if I have Stratus volume down or amp turned off?

Appreciate any thoughts. I’m probably overthinking this.

Alternative would be I just use as TT2 as a DAC and headphone amp, then the GS-X Mini stays in place as pre-amp for the monitors.
Don't use XLR for Speakers, Rob Watts told me not to, I use with great success a pair of Kef LS50 gen 1 which are hard to drive but they sound excellent with the TT2 (small office though abt 14m2), I use the SE output for the speakers with an adapter, you can also use the RCA if you like too, XLR I use for my HP's.

Feb 18, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #17,594 of 18,886
Don't use XLR for Speakers, Rob Watts told me not to, I use with great success a pair of Kef LS50 gen 1 which are hard to drive but they sound excellent with the TT2 (small office though abt 14m2), I use the SE output for the speakers with an adapter, you can also use the RCA if you like too, XLR I use for my HP's.

They’re powered speakers — HEDD Type 07 Mk2. I’d be using as preamp.

Feb 18, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #17,595 of 18,886
They’re powered speakers — HEDD Type 07 Mk2. I’d be using as preamp.
Wouldn’t DAC mode work fine ? (Provided your speakers come with a remote)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back