My Choral housed Chord Mscaler
Jan 28, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #121 of 170
I updated the schematic showing now both channels instead of one with the resistor values i changed for my latest made unit.
A as simple as possible 15VDC to 3-5v regulator is added for usage in a boxed set for TT2 with passthrough power as shown in previous post.
For Qutest the receiver side dont need a regulator and the sockets could be of USB-B or C type.

Optic link using 4x NAND boxed TT2.jpg

Under is shown the blueprint of the PCB, the blue tracks and texts are on the other side of the 2-layer board
Blueprint PCB.jpg

I could sell my design or even ready PCB's .. but i decided to freely make my work available.
So attached are the Gerber files in Zip. Anyone can order the fabrication of these at a PCB company of choice.

It would be nice to see some link creations of others here..

Happy DIYing! :)

Attachments

• Dual optic link TX v1.0.zip
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
Jan 30, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #122 of 170
The sound impressions are for a next post.. perhaps by the new owner of this link set
I finally got round to some critical listening, and I am very impressed.
Did the TT2 user cry?
Not yet, but I do think it has never sounded better on several aspects:
Stereo imaging and the perception of the venue the recording was taken. Detail seems higher. Better definition. Voices can be understood better, bass instruments seem better recognizable.

I/we did listen to reactcores (modded) Dave + mscaler and that sounds even a little better but I think I can better spend the price difference elsewhere.

I was looking for the goosebumps I got when shortly listening to the Farad-modded Dave another user has (without mscaler) and this brings the tt2 a lot closer to that. Very, very nice.

I am surprised how much influence the removal of an electric connection has.

@Reactcore, thanks a bunch, you are really on to something.

Mar 10, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #123 of 170
I'm curious how it will look in my hands..
A silver version of my Choral scaler is being CNC'ed now.

I made a 3D impression to get an idea
DAVE + HMS.jpg

May 13, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #127 of 170
While adjusting the optic link of the silver Dave and scaler i found this new production Dave (snr 51xxx) has got a code change.. it is a lot more tolerant to its received signal and behaves different to bit loss.

Also its locking hiccup is moved from skipping SR from 0.5M to 1M and 0,5sec with 384k mono when choosing input on Dave (old) to skipping SR from 1M to bypass and instant stereo (new).

I actually like this new firmware code more than the one in my old black Dave.

Tuning the link
20230507_191541.jpg

May 13, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #128 of 170
May 14, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #129 of 170
Curious as to how you tune the link?
Tuning means adjusting the LED current (dim or brighter) and phase shift vs the other channel to find the optimal setting on which Dave, TT2 or Qutest locks to dualdata (DX)

May 14, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #130 of 170
While adjusting the optic link of the silver Dave and scaler i found this new production Dave (snr 51xxx) has got a code change.. it is a lot more tolerant to its received signal and behaves different to bit loss.

Also its locking hiccup is moved from skipping SR from 0.5M to 1M and 0,5sec with 384k mono when choosing input on Dave (old) to skipping SR from 1M to bypass and instant stereo (new).

I actually like this new firmware code more than the one in my old black Dave.

Tuning the link
20230507_191541.jpg
Interesting...

Sep 9, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #131 of 170
Yesterday @Reactcore visited with his optically connected (and power modified) Dave and mscaler so we could compare with my/his TT mscaler combination. It was clear that for pre Dolby recordings the mscaler gives a larger and nicer soundstage, with better placement than Dave or TT2 alone. I was quite happy with my 'humble' TT2, Dave is better but the difference in my set is clear but not large.
The difference between my (temporary) LSA Warp one class D amplifier and his class A AB Denon S10 monoblocks was much bigger, only when using those the difference between TT2 and Dave, with or without mscaler was clear. So I should upgrade my amp first before stepping up to Dave.

I could also hear and understand the preference @maartenvanrie has on other material for not using the mscaler.

Sep 9, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #132 of 170
It was clear that for pre Dolby recordings the mscaler gives a larger and nicer soundstage
It was a fun visit !
The Dynaudio speaker monitors in your room placement sounded exceptionally good.

Like with this album the depth was huge and convincing. It has instruments 100m away combined with ones in front of my face in the same play. More obvious than through my HD800.

Screenshot_20230427-153416_foobar2000 controller PRO.jpg

Sep 9, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #135 of 170
Does it cause you any balance/soundstage issues, having one speaker bounded by the bookcase containing sound absorbing books, and the other speaker bounded by the open air of the rest of the room?
I get the soundstage I expect when I sit a little bit closer to the left speaker. Almost in front of the tv. The front of the speakers is before the bookcase, and the bookcase angle to the wall is 115 degrees, not 90, I guess that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back