Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 27, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #17,206 of 18,932
Connecting passiv speakers directly to TT2???

I dont care if Chord recommended it. Its just illogical to me. The TT2 barely has a speakeramp size!

It gets hot just with SE headphones, atleast buy a decent pre/amp.

TT2 should not play speakers bigger than 3”😂😂😂

Buy some active speakers. This passive thing is allergic

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #17,207 of 18,932
Sorry you had to suffer that experience, but hopefully you words will serve as a warning to other owners who wish to try with too loud volume, wrongly wired cables or inefficient speakers.
Indeed, that is why I repeated them here. And although in my case I think the root cause was a bad/repeatedly interrupted connection on the speaker side (volume was low, speaker worked for some time so in theory the wiring was the correct xlr connection), I learned later you should not use XLR with speakers that go lower than 8 ohms (or at all, to stay safe).

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #17,208 of 18,932
Connecting passiv speakers directly to TT2???

I dont care if Chord recommended it. Its just illogical to me. The TT2 barely has a speakeramp size!

It gets hot just with SE headphones, atleast buy a decent pre/amp.

TT2 should not play speakers bigger than 3”😂😂😂

Buy some active speakers. This passive thing is allergic
IMO if the TT2 is a digital preamp then buy a decent integrated amp and enjoy your speakers at whatever volume your ears will happily handle.

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #17,209 of 18,932
Random question:
Is it true that TT2 in DAC mode only delivers 3V?
-Its noticeably weaker than amp mode.

Oct 27, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #17,211 of 18,932
But maybe better could have been 2V for some amplifiers.
DAC MODE: "For use with a preamplifier, you can select DAC mode. This will set the output to a fixed 3V. You will not be able to use the volume function and as a result, the ball will not illuminate"

The reason for asking is now that I am in amp mode I turned my headamp HE9LE way down compared to DAC mode. Hmm its also way colder to the touch in amp mode. Way colder.

Oct 28, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #17,213 of 18,932
Indeed, that is why I repeated them here. And although in my case I think the root cause was a bad/repeatedly interrupted connection on the speaker side (volume was low, speaker worked for some time so in theory the wiring was the correct xlr connection), I learned later you should not use XLR with speakers that go lower than 8 ohms (or at all, to stay safe).
My TT2 was damaged by a bad XLR to 4-pin headphone adapter - nothing to do with the speakers (so do be careful all around!). And while my TT2 was being repaired, I used OG Mojo to drive the speakers and active sub. Worked just fine as well, with nothing blowing up.

Oct 28, 2022 at 11:20 PM Post #17,214 of 18,932
My TT2 was damaged by a bad XLR to 4-pin headphone adapter - nothing to do with the speakers (so do be careful all around!). And while my TT2 was being repaired, I used OG Mojo to drive the speakers and active sub. Worked just fine as well, with nothing blowing up.
I'm sorry to see that. That makes a least two people still following this thread that have had issues with adapters/bad connector. Any chance you are willing to share what we should avoid, or if not that a recommendation on what we could use? I've been reading the beginning of this treads, but I figure at this point people have better recommendation on what works then back when the TT2 was released.

While I now think I am going to look for powered/active speakers for my desk, I'd still be interested in getting a set of cables so I can try some stuff out. I have a set of Zu Oman Dirty Weekend II that are listed as 97dB sensitivity and a 12-ohm nominal impedance with a baseline of 8 ohms that I think the TT2 should handle well, and I'd love to try them if I had cables or adapters that worked that also were not too expensive. I certainly don't want to damage my TT2 though so at this point I'm not sure I would try anything unless I know from other owners it would work.

I also have a set of speakers that are listed as 89 dB 8 ohm nominal impedance that I'm considering. I do tend to like to crank my music up, so maybe I should just avoid these even though that seems pretty efficient by today's standards.

Oct 29, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #17,215 of 18,932
A bit late to the party, but I’ve joined the TT2 club, after I found a good deal on a used unit. The idea is to use it first as all in one unit on my office desk, but obviously I’m curious to see how it stacks against my main setup, Denafrips Venus + Fluxlab FA-12, and how it will sound as a pure DAC for my Manley Absolute.
How many of you guys has resisted the temptation of getting a M-Scaler too?

Oct 29, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #17,216 of 18,932
A bit late to the party, but I’ve joined the TT2 club, after I found a good deal on a used unit. The idea is to use it first as all in one unit on my office desk, but obviously I’m curious to see how it stacks against my main setup, Denafrips Venus + Fluxlab FA-12, and how it will sound as a pure DAC for my Manley Absolute.

Welcome to the thread. It's a fantastic unit. I have been using it pretty much daily in the past year.

As for the M Scaler, my own story is that I did not resist, so I bought it, I was then sorely disappointed, I was even advised by Chord itself that they expect it to really make an audible difference with speakers and not necessarily for headphones, so I sold it at a material loss. Just my experience. I hear others have had more success when pairing it with 1500€ BNC cables, my measly 400€ cables didn't seem to do much. I would really find a shop where you can audition it to see what it does for your and your particular headphones.

Oct 29, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #17,218 of 18,932
Oct 29, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #17,219 of 18,932
Congrats, the TT2 is a fantastic sounding equipment.
I auditioned the TT2 with MScaler more than once and to my ears they bring clear improvement. There is more definition, more clarity, better spatial 3D perception. It sharpens up the picture as you can almost 'see' the holographic images of the band.
Shame that I can't really afford it with good conscience. A second-hand TT2 is already a bit of a stretch to my wallet, so not much to think about here. :)

Oct 29, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #17,220 of 18,932
Welcome to the club, I joined not so long ago too. I have been using the TT2+HQplayer with very good results, at first I used USB; some users have reported problems (White noise issue) when playing 705.4/768kHz.
In my setup, I only found those problems if I turned on the TT2 after my streamer, it seems to be some kind of sample rate locking issue. When the proper sequence was followed, the connection was rock solid (even when playing multiple sample rates or DSD files). It is worth to mention, that the cleanest way to use HQplayer with the TT2 is by using the SRC DX by audiowise, it converts USB to dual BNC and somehow the TT2 gains better clarity when not using the Amanero chip controlling internally the USB. By using the SRC DX it solves every single "Locking" and white noise issue, at the cost of needing good BNC cables, and if you are going to walk that path, you can get the Lp filter, and DC block filters for a cleaner BNC signal (very handy if your are using the M-scaler anyway). I have been curious about the M-Scaler too, however, it was surprising to me that many M-scaler owners, feel the need of using better cables, filters or more complex solutions like Opto DX to control RF; meaning that even when using the M-scaler some extra stuff is needed to get the best of it.
Maybe you already know this, but if you are using HQplayer with the TT2, it doesn't have any sense to enable the HQplayer Sigma- Delta modulators and play DSD, surely you can do it when using USB, but your TT2 will convert that DSD to PSM internally, apply their DSP and then pass it trough their own Sigma-Delta. The Chord conversion is so good, that in my opinion you are not loosing anything, plus the benefit of doing the task less intensive for your PC by upsampling to PCM only.
If you decide to get an M-scaler and compare it VS HQplayer, please share your thoughts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back