Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 25, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #16,745 of 18,905
I feel a grave misrepresentation is possible in evaluating equipment when all links in the chain are not thoroughly investigated. Why did ASR make a determination on the TT2 dac sound without listening to the DAC via highest quality amplifiers. I think the internal headphone amp is good, but I can easily appreciate the improvement when using the TT2 with a Sparkos Aries or Auris Nirvana, better fuller bass, more musical mid range… your ears may of course vary, but to mine the sound is better than any other DAC I have heard including the Terminator (not that I don’t love that as well and yes I still have to audition a DAVE). And that is of course part of what is missing in the ASR evaluation, should a person who can hear no differences between DACs publish an opinion on the sound of any DAC?

I am also surprised that a Complete evaluation can be made with a single headphone. Much synergy I discover using various headphones in combination with a DAC and various amps… I sometimes reverse my conclusions about a component when a different synergy suddenly “clicks”. Again, perhaps some ears cannot hear these things, but most of us seem to be able to I believe?

I am personally appreciative of the differences in sound available to us all, and sad for those unable to perceive them. I myself miss out in the ability to fully appreciate smell and taste, and my son is a super taster and sommelier - I know the wine he shares is great but I only perceive a tip of the iceberg of what he does!

TonyAAA

Aug 25, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #16,746 of 18,905
However, you will struggle to find differences (if you find any) between a $150 DAC and a multi-thousand dollar one in controlled blind test conditions with matched voltages, and this is something that people like Amir know perfectly well, in the end their rankings are to find the best engineering regardless of price, not the best (or any different) sound, because the headphones are the ones responsible for projecting sound.
If Lord Amir was reviewing “regardless of price” Chord would not have gotten so much flak and we wouldn’t be having this conversation…
But methodologies are based on an existing data model, including its assumptions.
The difficulty is that cults of any description decide on the results/knowledge, and if new data differs from that, then the data must be changed, instead of the data model.
This is the perfect description of ASR. All hail Lord Amir.

Aug 25, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #16,747 of 18,905
Biases don’t matter here at good old Audio Science Review, except when it comes to the aesthetics of Chord products

Don’t look at individual SINAD numbers, only the bucket a dac falls in, except when it comes to Chord products, where we do compare the numbers relative to others

Enigineering is engineering, regardless of price, except when it comes to Chord products which are too expensive

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #16,749 of 18,905
I was just looking for a random product on google, and found a link to ASR where a user made some measurements of a certain product.

…Trashing the product only on measurements. Not a single letter on how it sounds. Everybody chimed in, bashing and trashing….

Im not gonna hold Amir respondsible for this “culture”, even though it sounds like it, because it does open up debates, which is good. But they are still misleading buyers…

If my TT2 had an imbalance of 5-6dB and I needed a maschine to measure that. That definitely tells me that I don’t need to upgrade anymore than my motherboard soundcard. I mean facts!…saying this knowing I have some hearing loss.

…It reminds me of myself when I was building pc and was only in for the numbers, overclocking and benchmarks. It became a habit. It blinded me, I was too fixated, never played games or used the pc as “intended”…realizing I was only wasting my time just to hit the few % extra in performance. I mean it was fun to a certain point, but it took me over. Today I just install the drivers, and thats it!

Plug and Play/Listen!

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #16,750 of 18,905
It’s an incredible statement, that all dacs sound the same. Why would there be an entire market worth millions of pounds if in fact, they all sounded the same.

Dac chips can cost a few pence that are put into tv’s (I’ve heard).

My old tv sounded terrible. Is the argument then also the same, all tvs sound the same ?

in europe, tv’s are more focused on pic quality, in asian, tv’s come with a much better audio quality than us. No schit, seen it on some show and they had built in sound bars on their tv’s, they much more focused on the sound and still getting decent pic quality also. maybe we dont get that cuz europe “UK”is broke.

dance for me, dance for me, dance for me uh uh oh, I’ve never seen anybody do the things you do before !

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #16,751 of 18,905
TT-2 is fantastic, but I prefer the Qutest. Call me crazy but I love the sound of the Qutest more.
@GuiltyRocker there is nothing wrong with that IMHO. I prefer TT2 to Dave due to TT2 sound signature for example. It is less fatiguing for me and because of that probably more musical too. At the same time Dave is a great dac/headamp too, one that could be brilliant for very critical listening, it is just my taste is different. I'm looking for the enjoyment and not to be able to detect even smallest nuance since sometimes I just like listen to the music and not to be focused on it for the whole time. Mojo2 is so good that sometimes I think I could live without my TT2 and M Scaler. It all comes down to personal taste, preferences and needs. When we take out the cost of this hobby out of equation you are definitively not a crazy person - just a person who knows what he likes when listening to the music.

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #16,752 of 18,905
Maybe I will too, the top Chi-fi Topping the D90SE is only $800, I'll have a friend come over and I'll do a proper blind test, the last time I tried it was so easy to pick out the Chord, it was hilarious.
If there will be an increase in sells of top Chi-Fi cheap dacs, they soon will not be cheap any more since the manufactures will eventually increase their prices due to stronger brand and higher demand. They could also blame further price increase on broken supply chain problems 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back