Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 4, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #16,276 of 18,905
When using the XLR outputs off the back, my TT2 has developed loud pops in the right channel when turning on/off and some channel imbalance (the right side sounds softer.
Just to check if anyone faced this issue before? I think it may be time to send it back sigh
How are the XLRs wired and to what (headphones, speakers)? I would visually inspect the connections on the cable to make sure they are solid and not shorting. Use a voltmeter if you have one.

Jun 4, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #16,277 of 18,905
I don't own a voltmeter but it seems a good idea to pick up one.

The issue occurs through my speakers, as well as when using headphones.
If it helps, the issue occurs in the left channel when swapping the cables around - thus I think it may not be the cable's issue.

Jun 4, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #16,278 of 18,905
I don't own a voltmeter but it seems a good idea to pick up one.

The issue occurs through my speakers, as well as when using headphones.
If it helps, the issue occurs in the left channel when swapping the cables around - thus I think it may not be the cable's issue.
Yep, sorry, if swapping the cables doesn’t change anything, it sounds like it’s the TT2.

Jun 4, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #16,279 of 18,905
I felt a faint tingle on my left ear where the cable out of the ear piece was touching, like tiny sparks

I have this problem too with metal IEMs, even when they are not plugged directly into the TT2. They shock my ears and it hurts!

Confirmed this happens with the following:
TT2 -> XLR outputs -> IEMs
TT2 -> XLR -> Cayin C9 -> IEMs
TT2 -> XLR -> Holo Serene KTE -> IEMs
I *think* I remember it also happening from the front 1/4" jack as well

This even happens when using an SBooster power supply on the TT2 instead of the stock one (was hoping that would fix the problem, but it didn't)

Anyone figure this out yet? is there a grounding solution maybe?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #16,280 of 18,905
I have this problem too with metal IEMs, even when they are not plugged directly into the TT2. They shock my ears and it hurts!

Confirmed this happens with the following:
TT2 -> XLR outputs -> IEMs
TT2 -> XLR -> Cayin C9 -> IEMs
TT2 -> XLR -> Holo Serene KTE -> IEMs
I *think* I remember it also happening from the front 1/4" jack as well

This even happens when using an SBooster power supply on the TT2 instead of the stock one (was hoping that would fix the problem, but it didn't)

Anyone figure this out yet? is there a grounding solution maybe?
This may help: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-693#post-13997944

Jun 5, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #16,281 of 18,905
it doesn't really help - how am I supposed to "earth my system" ?

It's a normal US house with normal wiring, and none of the other amps/dacs in my sig have any issues, only the TT2

Also I'm not the only one having the issue, I've talked to a few people that said the XLR outputs have shocked them, and they weren't using metal IEMs either

All that said, the TT2 sounds so good that I'm still using it even though it's shocking me :k701smile:

Jun 5, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #16,282 of 18,905
it doesn't really help - how am I supposed to "earth my system" ?

It's a normal US house with normal wiring, and none of the other amps/dacs in my sig have any issues, only the TT2

Also I'm not the only one having the issue, I've talked to a few people that said the XLR outputs have shocked them, and they weren't using metal IEMs either

All that said, the TT2 sounds so good that I'm still using it even though it's shocking me :k701smile:

TT2 has good sound (for its price) but not enough to get electrical shocks or to deal with all its quality issues IMO.

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #16,283 of 18,905
TT2 has good sound (for its price) but not enough to get electrical shocks or to deal with all its quality issues IMO.
Okay I'll bite, what's better?

So far I prefer the TT2 over:
- May KTE
- Bricasti M1SE
- TT2 with M Scaler
- Digital Convert 2
- Rockna Wavedream

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #16,286 of 18,905
Never heard the Dave but with the TT2 do any of you find that instrument separation is sometimes sub par? Or things get a bit muddied with complex passages? Thanks.

Jun 6, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #16,288 of 18,905
Never heard the Dave but with the TT2 do any of you find that instrument separation is sometimes sub par? Or things get a bit muddied with complex passages? Thanks.
When I had the TT2, I never thought that instrument separation was an issue, but it is bettered by the Dave. The Dave is a big jump up in technicalities.

Jun 7, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #16,290 of 18,905
Does anyone have a diagram for the correct way to wire pins to make a Y adaptor for the back of the TT2 so I can connect headphones to the XLR outputs?
tl;dr: Pin 1 on both 3-pin XLRs are unused in your adapter. Pins 2 and 3 on left 3-pin out go to pins 1 and 2 respectively on 4-pin XLR. Pins 2 and 3 on the right 3-pin go to pins 3 and 4 respectively on the 4-pin XLR.

==========

pin 1 on the two 3-pin outs are grounds -- unused in your adapter. Pin 2 is positive, pin 3 is negative.

This diagram shows the pinouts for male and female -- obviously you care about female orientation, since the connectors on the back of the TT2 are male.

download.png

On the 4-pin end, Pins 1 - 4 are L+ L- R+ R-

This diagram shows the pin-outs for the female 4-pin jack.

download.jpg

This is all pretty standard stuff, and I've used a generic/off-the-shelf adapter w/ my TT2 and it worked fine, so I assume the TT2 XLRs are standard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back