Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 17, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #15,541 of 18,905
Okie Dokie… so… I’ve pressed the button on the TT2 with an MScaler. Gosh I was sweating after doing that! 🥵 Arriving tomorrow afternoon. Exciting none the less 🤪 One question for all the owners and those who have experience with these beasts. Am I best just listening direct from the TT2 via 6.3mm Jack to my Headphones or route it through a Headphone Amplifier to have all options of 6.3mm, 4.4mm and XLR 4-Pin? I also know about the upgrades to the BNC connections from TT2 to MS but…. at the moment… enough is enough… I’ll work on that after much more experience with the included cables. Anybody’s input about any aspect of this pairing will be most appreciated. Cheers! 🍻
Yes direct out the TT2 6.3mm jacks. You can also make a tap for the Dual XLR to drive harder to drive cans. But given the headphones you have listed you will be fine. I use my amplifier for my Susvaras or if I want some tube goodness.

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #15,542 of 18,905
Thanks Icenine2. Even with all this talk about ‘balanced XLR’ for headphones? I see you have Wave Streams Dual BNC’s…. Really make a difference?
The WAVE BNC's make a HUGE difference. I actually bought these before I started looking for an MScaler! :) I'm going to buy the WAVE STORM's in the next month.

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #15,543 of 18,905
I've also pretty much given up trying to score a used pair of WAVE STORM's. I've been looking for three months everywhere and nothing. It seems during lockdown people were selling but no more.

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #15,544 of 18,905
I've also pretty much given up trying to score a used pair of WAVE STORM's. I've been looking for three months everywhere and nothing. It seems during lockdown people were selling but no more.
I also have the WAVE Stream BNC and I know Nick will gladly make me a pair of the Storm!
The Storm is supposed to be a nice step up from the Stream, but things sound so good now I really can't imagine it sounding much better!!!!

Jan 18, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #15,546 of 18,905
I also have the WAVE Stream BNC and I know Nick will gladly make me a pair of the Storm!
The Storm is supposed to be a nice step up from the Stream, but things sound so good now I really can't imagine it sounding much better!!!!
Once you hear how good the WAVE Storm BNC’s are with your Chord DAC and an M Scaler you’ll never go back to anything else.
I'm in the same boat.. want to step up but also happy as is
I thought I was happy too. But the substantive SQ improvement from the Stratos BNC’s that Nick let me demo only made me want to try the Storm’s that much more. Now I’m very happy!

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #15,547 of 18,905
Once you hear how good the WAVE Storm BNC’s are with your Chord DAC and an M Scaler you’ll never go back to anything else.

I thought I was happy too. But the substantive SQ improvement from the Stratos BNC’s that Nick let me demo only made me want to try the Storm’s that much more. Now I’m very happy!
To be honest, when I bought the TT2, it was a very nice up from the Qutest and the Qutest was a good DAC. I then bought the M Scaler and It was a fairly subtle difference to me. I suppose I could just not use it for a few days and go back to using the MS and it might be more apparent.
Same with the WAVE Stream BNC, subtle. I suppose improvements ARE subtle and not WOW at this level with the TT2 / MS + Susvara, T+A, P and LCD-5.
I would be surprised if moving from the Stream to the Storm BNC would be more than a subtle improvement but others say it is indeed BIG!

I just bought a Holo Spring 3 with preamp and, yes it is the new toy, but it is pretty impressive. I thought it might be lacking in detail and clarity but it is not and has very nice bass. I have only used it for a few hours but my initial take is it might be pretty close to the Chord gear!

Jan 18, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #15,548 of 18,905
@nwavesailor, I also started with the Qutest. But I quickly traded it in after hearing the TT2. When I added the HMS I thought the qualitative improvement in SQ was huge. Which might have a lot to do with the kinds of jazz and classical music that I mostly listen to. I tried to give the Holo May DACs a fair amount of time to come to a conclusion about how they sounded. But IMHO they don’t come close to the HMS/TT2/WAVE Storm BNC combo in performance, detail, or physical weight behind the music.

Jan 18, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #15,549 of 18,905
Hi Everyone, apologies if this has been posted before, I've searched and haven't found precisely the answer I was looking for.

Using the 1266 TC I turn the volume up to -1H (on high gain), will this cause clipping?

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:33 AM Post #15,550 of 18,905
Hi Everyone, apologies if this has been posted before, I've searched and haven't found precisely the answer I was looking for.

Using the 1266 TC I turn the volume up to -1H (on high gain), will this cause clipping?
It shouldn't.
It is very loud though even for 1266, be careful with that

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #15,551 of 18,905

Not true. Nick uses oyaide bnc cable and use ferrite throughout the length with some gaps in between ferrites for flexibility. So in a way it is limited by cable. Though oyaide uses pcocc A copper which is better than most other cables but it is bettered by few other cables like furutech alpha occ copper or silver. I use furutech coax bulk cable with 7 ferrite at dac end. I found after 7 number of ferrites sound degraded. You don't need ferrites throughout the length. People have money and nobody can stop them buying wave cables but you can have better choice at less rates. I mean buy oyaide bnc and try putting 7 or 8 ferrite per cable at dac end. The theory of Nick that you need ferrites throughout the length with certain gap has no backing. Gaps were required for flexibility and keeping ferrite on one side would have exposed the base cable below. So the design is not due to technical consideration but because of logistics.

Jan 18, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #15,552 of 18,905
Has anyone tried adding ferrites to the supplied stock cable or purchased an upgraded BNC cable then added ferrites? If so, what we're your results please?

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #15,554 of 18,905
Not true. Nick uses oyaide bnc cable and use ferrite throughout the length with some gaps in between ferrites for flexibility. So in a way it is limited by cable. Though oyaide uses pcocc A copper which is better than most other cables but it is bettered by few other cables like furutech alpha occ copper or silver. I use furutech coax bulk cable with 7 ferrite at dac end. I found after 7 number of ferrites sound degraded. You don't need ferrites throughout the length. People have money and nobody can stop them buying wave cables but you can have better choice at less rates. I mean buy oyaide bnc and try putting 7 or 8 ferrite per cable at dac end. The theory of Nick that you need ferrites throughout the length with certain gap has no backing. Gaps were required for flexibility and keeping ferrite on one side would have exposed the base cable below. So the design is not due to technical consideration but because of logistics.

I've been using a pair of BNC's made from Oyaide FTVS-510 75 Ohm Pure Silver Coaxial Digital Cable with a TQ Silver Diamond USB / SRC-DX. No Ferrites and the sound quality is exceptional. The solid 5n silver core is so thick it only just fits inside the pin of the BNC.

I did at one point have a pair (same Furutech connectors) with Furutech FX Alpha Ag but didn't like them. Sounded a bit grainy in comparison. From memory I think this is a stranded and not a solid core. No where near as thick as the Oyaide one above.

If you're ok with a soldering iron, trying making a pair of Oyaide FTVS-510 cables. It's not that hard to do... only the pin needs soldering.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #15,555 of 18,905
Rob Watts take on the Wave BNC's

And I certainly do not say you have to use Wave cables or indeed have to use ferrites - this is the surface finish on the icing of the cake after all. I post what is technically accurate, and my subjective observations are based upon honest, serious and careful listening tests. This approach has upset people within the industry; but I will only post what I see as being accurate at that moment in time (as my knowledge is (hopefully!) expanding). So I recommend Wave cables, as they work subjectively, and there is solid technical reasons why they work. I have in the past said that audiophile USB cables either sound the same as certified type 2 cables, or they degrade sound quality by adding more RF noise - they are designed unwittingly as RF noise generators. So too with audiophile BNC cables - the exception being Wave. I have taken some considerable flak from audiophiles who always assume that some exotic expensive brand will outperform the standard certified generic cables - and they get very upset when I humbly point out that they are "enjoying" a degradation. Look at the trouble I get into about SMPS against linears as another example.

To conclude: Wave cables work technically and subjectively. Only you can decide from trying them whether it's worth the cost, and represents value to you.

Happy listening, Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back