Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Nov 6, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #15,031 of 19,009
Is there a preferred input on the tt2/hms or all inputs created equal?
Whatever works best for you.
I found optical exceedingly easy as my portable source (SP2K) / streamer automatically recognises optical line out and it’s plug n play

Nov 7, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #15,033 of 19,009
SRC-DX for me

Nov 8, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #15,034 of 19,009
Is there a preferred input on the tt2/hms or all inputs created equal?
Many of us do not think they sound the same and there is consensus amongst some of us that the bnc input sounds best with us using the particular usb to bnc convertor mentioned by @Progisus . Optical input is often quoted as being useful to break the noise chain but there are caveats to that for it to be successful. The best answer is really for you to try yourself and see if you prefer the sound quality of any particular input. If not then just use whichever is most convenient for you.

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #15,035 of 19,009
I’ve been A/B-ing the last few days between optical in from my XDuo X10T II and USB in from my SoTM SMS 200 via IsoRegen, both powered by LPS, and the latter sounds noticeably better. Maybe it’s not a fair comparison but it demonstrates that the chain matters.

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #15,036 of 19,009
I’ve been A/B-ing the last few days between optical in from my XDuo X10T II and USB in from my SoTM SMS 200 via IsoRegen, both powered by LPS, and the latter sounds noticeably better. Maybe it’s not a fair comparison but it demonstrates that the chain matters.
Can you describe the differences and improvements, please?

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #15,037 of 19,009
Can you describe the differences and improvements, please?
The XDuoo sounds really good but the SMS chain sounds more analog and organic, i tend to listen to classical music and everything sounds more natural. To be fair to XDuoo, the SMS only betters it with the LPS, using Qobuz via LMS. Using an attached HD is noticeably worse with the LPS in the chain (it used to be my preferred method). On its own the XDuoo sounds very decent indeed so i can see why some prefer optical in, as it was said above it will depend on the chain.

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #15,038 of 19,009
The XDuoo sounds really good but the SMS chain sounds more analog and organic, i tend to listen to classical music and everything sounds more natural. To be fair to XDuoo, the SMS only betters it with the LPS, using Qobuz via LMS. Using an attached HD is noticeably worse with the LPS in the chain (it used to be my preferred method). On its own the XDuoo sounds very decent indeed so i can see why some prefer optical in, as it was said above it will depend on the chain.
Thanks. I’m still having trouble characterizing from that. Usually optical tend to sound darker or blacker and USB is described as brighter or more detailed, which many point to electrical noise as a cause for the apparent greater brightness/detail/transparency. Not sure what “analog” would sound like, but I would have thought darker and less “harsh” or bright also.

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #15,039 of 19,009
Thanks. I’m still having trouble characterizing from that. Usually optical tend to sound darker or blacker and USB is described as brighter or more detailed, which many point to electrical noise as a cause for the apparent greater brightness/detail/transparency. Not sure what “analog” would sound like, but I would have thought darker and less “harsh” or bright also.
In my case USB is indeed darker, more natural with more air in between notes and with instruments sounding closer to how they should. The XDuoo + optical sounds a bit harsher and more ‘digital’ in comparison. I should stress that this is not the result of a single upgrade, every step has made a difference: laptop to SMS 200, adding an IsoRegen, adding an LPS (this was a significant step up), QuteHD to TT2.

Nov 10, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #15,040 of 19,009
There definitely is a difference between USB and coax/toslink. It was really easy to test them in real-time switching between inputs with the RPi. USB to me has slightly less resolution - you might describe that as sounding smoother. The coax and toslink sound the same to me and slightly more detailed and dynamic compared to USB. I didn’t expect to hear a difference prior to testing and hoped, if anything, that USB would sound better so I wouldn’t need the allo digione and could fit the rpi in a nicer case.

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #15,041 of 19,009
OK…. that’s never happened before. While using roon to play to my TT2 the volume started rising and I was just able to stop it with the volume ball as it passed through purple. Good thing it was my Utopia and not an iem or it could have been destructive. The roon app was not open on the ipad. The zone is set to fixed and the remote was idle on the table. The buttons on the ipad do not adjust the volume. Gremlins.

Nov 12, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #15,042 of 19,009
I have a new Dac in the house for a home demo. I owned a TT2 for well over a year, and with Mscaler for around a year. This is from a Canadian company called Saturn audio, Gilbert Yeung of “blue circle” is the designer. Only spent a couple of hours with it so far, but I really like it…cheaper than a TT 2 as well. (4,500 Canadian). My plan is to demo this, but wait until the big January reveal from Chord before I make a final decision. I would order a silver unit if I go with the Saturn Dac.

Attachments

• 532CA881-F065-4012-B775-30474BA3C5EE.jpeg
    532CA881-F065-4012-B775-30474BA3C5EE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 95C781C9-8190-4C53-A034-2CB83F02C6C4.jpeg
    95C781C9-8190-4C53-A034-2CB83F02C6C4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Nov 13, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #15,043 of 19,009
OK…. that’s never happened before. While using roon to play to my TT2 the volume started rising and I was just able to stop it with the volume ball as it passed through purple. Good thing it was my Utopia and not an iem or it could have been destructive. The roon app was not open on the ipad. The zone is set to fixed and the remote was idle on the table. The buttons on the ipad do not adjust the volume. Gremlins.
I have had this unexpected volume rise on one or two occasions as well. No idea what causes this.

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #15,044 of 19,009
I have had this unexpected volume rise on one or two occasions as well. No idea what causes this.
Me too. Once in a year of use. Chord support said maybe the remote volume button pushed against the desk, and I couldn't remember what position the remote was in at the time, but reading this makes me wonder.

It got dangerously loud quickly. Not such an insignificant malfunction.

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #15,045 of 19,009
Me too. Once in a year of use. Chord support said maybe the remote volume button pushed against the desk, and I couldn't remember what position the remote was in at the time, but reading this makes me wonder.

It got dangerously loud quickly. Not such an insignificant malfunction.
Feels like something they could stop with some software. Excessive and sudden increase in volume triggers a pause. @Rob Watts Before it blows someone's ear drums?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back