Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 30, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #15,002 of 18,905
Chord said not to drive them with speakers and it must be difficult when the designer does the opposite. Btw the Ferrari pista has a top speed of 204 mph - but I don’t think Ferrari would recommend you do it either to protect the engine. Just because it has 18w doesn’t mean it can sustain that output.

Oct 30, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #15,004 of 18,905
I don’t know why people still use the TT2 to drive speakers. You spent all that money for a great DAC. Pair it with a nice amp or intergtate. You can then use any speaker if choice and have an amazing system.
Because the use case isn't the same as your use case.

Mine will sit on my desk and run small speakers at low volumes....

Oct 30, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #15,005 of 18,905
Because the use case isn't the same as your use case.

Mine will sit on my desk and run small speakers at low volumes....
I understand that. Not trying to tell you what to do. Your equipment and money. But LS50 Metas require 40 a 100 W. So the TT2 is not a suitable option for running this speakers. Even for low level listening it’s not a optimum solution. But to each there own.

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #15,006 of 18,905
I understand that. Not trying to tell you what to do. Your equipment and money. But LS50 Metas require 40 a 100 W. So the TT2 is not a suitable option for running this speakers. Even for low level listening it’s not a optimum solution. But to each there own.
86db sensitivty. So 1Watt will get me 86db at 1m. I'll be sitting 90cm from them, and 86 db is pretty loud. So max max I would be needing say 800mW for my purposes, into 8ohm. SE is 7W into 8ohm, so we have over 8x headroom. I suspect that's enough to drive them well at the lower volumes for me.

Edit: 85db. Same same.

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #15,007 of 18,905
I can add one thing to the discussion about how loud you need TT2 when driving speakers.

As I said before, I used to use TT2 for driving speakers. A few posts back I described how much volume on the dB volume scale you need. For louder recordings, anything up to abut 15dB or maybe -10dB on the volume scale. That however is not even using as much voltage as driving 2.5v line out to an amplifier, which is -3dB. Even at 2v line out (which would be -5dB), TT2 driving speakers uses less voltage for me.

Secondly it depends on how the impedance curve of the speaker is made. E.g. with Dynaudio they make the impedance curve almost flat. Dynaudio are known for making speakers which still sound full at low levels. I can attest to that, as it's true. The impeadance curve will be related to that. As lower frequency notes with Dynaudio do not need to draw vast power, since the impedance barely drops from nominal impeadance.

I have used Dynaudio Emit M10 and Special Forty at miniscule volume, and they are both perfectly listenable. Just because the Special Forty have a 200 watt power rating, doesn't mean they are no good at low volume. They rock fully even when extremely quiet. I would not have bought my Special Forty, had that not been the case.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #15,009 of 18,905
My 86db bw602 speakers could run loud out of the tt2, but it didn’t really have any magic or dynamics, at near field.
But my compact alnico 91db are really fulfilling, I don’t need to go much about -10H in a room about 4x8m.
Adding room treatments allowed me to turn the volume up, and it’s really blowing me away.

Oct 31, 2021 at 5:02 AM Post #15,010 of 18,905
My 86db bw602 speakers could run loud out of the tt2, but it didn’t really have any magic or dynamics, at near field.
But my compact alnico 91db are really fulfilling, I don’t need to go much about -10H in a room about 4x8m.
Adding room treatments allowed me to turn the volume up, and it’s really blowing me away.
I was running PMC 25.22 direct and they sounded good with plenty of volume in a NF system but, when I added the Etude the SQ improvement was significant. Speed, bass depth and texture... basically the overall energy and musicality was greatly improved!

I found room treatments for NF very rewarding as well!

Oct 31, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #15,011 of 18,905
Mr Watts responded to me. Says don't use the balanced out to drive speakers. Use single ended, so RCA or if using the XLR, Pin1 & 2 only.

What else is the 18W rating for?

Anyway. I'll just make RCA to bananas. Have experience making headphone cables and interconnects, so will be easy to rig up something quality for this. Probably 16-18awg, any thicker gets a bit iffy on most RCA plugs.
12AWG or fatter is preferred for decent bass power/control. But yes, connecting them to TT2 is going to be tricky.

https://electricalandelectronicsengineering.com/awg-to-mm2-reference-table/

I ran 91dB/W/m speakers from DAVE in a 4.1x3.7m room and that was LOUD. Rated at 6 ohm with a 4 ohm minimum.

It's true that dance music at -7dB would clip. But that was What loud.

Yes, the Etude was an upgrade.

The key here is that TT2 driving speakers saves a hell of a lot of money on an amplifier for people with small setups or rooms. Buy an M Scaler with the money you've saved, e.g. after saving for a year or two. Buy a high-end amp later for icing on the cake.

Oct 31, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #15,012 of 18,905
12AWG or fatter is preferred for decent bass power/control. But yes, connecting them to TT2 is going to be tricky.

I ran 91dB/W/m speakers from DAVE in a 4.1x3.7m room and that was LOUD. Rated at 6 ohm with a 4 ohm minimum.

The key here is that TT2 driving speakers saves a hell of a lot of money on an amplifier for people with small setups or rooms. Buy an M Scaler with the money you've saved, e.g. after saving for a year or two. Buy a high-end amp later for icing on the cake.
That's what I did initially... although, after a 14 months I sold the MScaler after comparing with a standalone HQPlayer server + SRC-DX + PGGB files on a fibre network. HQP for streaming Qobuz via Roon, HQP playing my own PGGB files.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #15,013 of 18,905

I was thinking, the money i would otherwise have to spend on an amp, i can buy better speakers, cables etc for them, and as long as the speakers are efficient, then i think its a sensible approach.

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #15,014 of 18,905
Yep, e.g. you can upgrade from 805D4 to 804D4 with the money saved :)

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #15,015 of 18,905
Has anyone reading this ever compared the TT2 to the Mytek Brooklyn Dac +? I'm considering splurging on a TT2, but I would love to know if it will be better, similar, or just different?

Also I must ask, is the headphone amp in the TT2 really as good as they say or do you guys get better results from another amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back