Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 27, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #14,972 of 18,907
Nifty.

How do you rate its headphone amp stage?
Just because it needs to be said … there is no “headphone amp stage” as such. The DAC digital to analog conversion is also all the amplification, for both the amp mode and dac mode, front and rear outputs, and cannot be bypassed. So you cannot compare the “headphone” output to anything else. Only the headphone output with or without additional amplification.

Oct 27, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #14,973 of 18,907
Just because it needs to be said … there is no “headphone amp stage” as such. The DAC digital to analog conversion is also all the amplification, for both the amp mode and dac mode, front and rear outputs, and cannot be bypassed. So you cannot compare the “headphone” output to anything else. Only the headphone output with or without additional amplification.
Question still works.

"How do you rate its unbalanced front amplication sockets" :p

Oct 27, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #14,974 of 18,907
Question still works.

"How do you rate its unbalanced front amplication sockets" :p
Sure, and they sound really good to me. But my point is, there is no alternative, except a different dac. They can’t be bypassed and you can’t live without them, unless you can hear a non-converted digital signal. And they are the same as the rear in SE mode. So really, the question is about how you like the TT2 itself.

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #14,978 of 18,907
Will the TT2 drive the LS50 Meta adequately? Its on a desktop, so low SPL required...
In desktop situation I wouldn't worry about overheating TT2. Definitely not with SE (RCA) outputs.
I used XLR out to drive 6ohms (4 minimum) 88db speakers in a living room to really high levels without overheating.
But some people are just deaf, and my loud is not their loud :)

But as I said in a desktop situation, I don't see a problem.

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #14,979 of 18,907
In desktop situation I wouldn't worry about overheating TT2. Definitely not with SE (RCA) outputs.
I used XLR out to drive 6ohms (4 minimum) 88db speakers in a living room to really high levels without overheating.
But some people are just deaf, and my loud is not their loud :)

But as I said in a desktop situation, I don't see a problem.
Was intending to go XLR to bananas. RCA to banana better?

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #14,980 of 18,907
Was intending to go XLR to bananas. RCA to banana better?
RCA is a safer way. It's really unlikely to thermally trip TT2 using RCA outs. Also Transparency is greater using RCA.
The downside of RCA vs XLR is that XLR has like 18watts into 8ohms while RCA is like 7watts.
But you want to use it with desktop configuration so I would go with RCA. As 7watts is still "a lot" of the power.

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #14,981 of 18,907
RCA is a safer way. It's really unlikely to thermally trip TT2 using RCA outs. Also Transparency is greater using RCA.
The downside of RCA vs XLR is that XLR has like 18watts into 8ohms while RCA is like 7watts.
But you want to use it with desktop configuration so I would go with RCA. As 7watts is still "a lot" of the power.

Silly question, how does it work if you use the TT2 as an amp for the speakers. Its volume control only works in headphone mode, right?

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #14,982 of 18,907
I used XLR to banana, not very loud. Dynaudio Heritage specials, 5 ohm minimum. Probably just bad luck then, and n=1 so if others have positive experiences by all means go ahead.

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #14,983 of 18,907
Silly question, how does it work if you use the TT2 as an amp for the speakers. Its volume control only works in headphone mode, right?
No.

Volume control effects HP and Amp mode. It doesn't effect DAC mode (fixed line out)

Oct 29, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #14,984 of 18,907

This:
No.

Volume control effects HP and Amp mode. It doesn't effect DAC mode (fixed line out)

TT2 is extremely versatile. It can be dac, dac/headphone amp, dac/pre amp, dac/speaker amp.
Truly an ultimate one box solution for a desktop.

Oct 29, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #14,985 of 18,907
I used XLR to banana, not very loud. Dynaudio Heritage specials, 5 ohm minimum. Probably just bad luck then, and n=1 so if others have positive experiences by all means go ahead.
I think the lower impedance might have been a problem, along with sensitivity? I’ve been using sensitive speakers with 8 ohm for a couple years and no heat issues at all (from XLRs), which I think will give more headroom if needed when wired balanced (but you can also wire them SE).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back