Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #14,161 of 18,905
Chord will hopefully provide me reasons why it may be happening to only the firstwatt but we still unsure but in meantime they asked for specs of the f1j as well as pass it along to the engineering team. hopefully it all works out in the end as id like to not have to unplug/replug the RCA
maybe there is a grounding issue with the firstwatt. Is there a fuse in the IEC socket? Check it.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #14,162 of 18,905
maybe there is a grounding issue with the firstwatt. Is there a fuse in the IEC socket? Check it.
Actually the fuse recently blew so I just added fresh ones. I’ll look into if it’s a grounding issue

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #14,163 of 18,905
Chord will hopefully provide me reasons why it may be happening to only the firstwatt but we still unsure but in meantime they asked for specs of the f1j as well as pass it along to the engineering team. hopefully it all works out in the end as id like to not have to unplug/replug the RCA

Should firstwatt not be providing you with these reasons? I am sure they know more about their own products than Chord does. It is very kind of Chord to try to help but is it really a good idea for them to be trying to solve issues with third party equipment?

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #14,164 of 18,905
Should firstwatt not be providing you with these reasons? I am sure they know more about their own products than Chord does. It is very kind of Chord to try to help but is it really a good idea for them to be trying to solve issues with third party equipment?
Yeah they where willing to look into possible cause for why their equipment might not accept others equipment to work with both outputs running. Once I get a few causes I can use it for future reference as well to narrow down issues for Firstwatt look into

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #14,165 of 18,905
I'm using my Desktop USB out with the TT2. Would I get any benefit from using a DDC such as the DENAFRIPS IRIS?

Jun 9, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #14,166 of 18,905
I am waiting for my Pi2AES to arrive, should be here in 1-2 weeks. For now I am using Raspberry Pi 4 connected to TT2 via USB, hoping Optical in improves it further.
How did you like the Pi2AES?

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #14,167 of 18,905
Listened to the TT2 now for a day and prefer the DAC to my PSAudio and Audio Note. The internal headphone amp is a let down and can’t compete with TT2 DAC plus GSX mini or V280. This comes as a surprise as I expected more. It still might need burn in or it is what it is.
But I got the TT2 new for a very good price and I do consider the DAC to be worth that money. Still, it is not a one box solution for me.

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #14,168 of 18,905
How did you like the Pi2AES?
So it finally arrived, took two months since I ordered. This means it never came while I had my TT2, but have tested it with my Bartók and it sounds the same. I think Pi2AES is a wonderful streamer / DDC worth the ridicoulsly low asking price. Unfortunately I was never able to check if TT2 sounds better with optical in, rather than Raspberry USB directly.

Jun 9, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #14,169 of 18,905
So it finally arrived, took two months since I ordered. This means it never came while I had my TT2, but have tested it with my Bartók and it sounds the same. I think Pi2AES is a wonderful streamer / DDC worth the ridicoulsly low asking price. Unfortunately I was never able to check if TT2 sounds better with optical in, rather than Raspberry USB directly.
I read your review. Bartok seems like a great all in one :). Thanks for letting me know.

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:19 AM Post #14,170 of 18,905
I just returned from a great family RV vacation trip to southern Utah to visit Zion and Bryce Canyon NPs (as well as few places in Nevada and Arizona like Lake Mead) and I actually took my full-blown Chord stack with me to enjoy the Abyss 1266 TC while star gazing every night at the RV campsites. Yes, it's a bit over-the-top to take the full Chord stack (including the TToby to drive the TC) but I felt like I needed to go all-in for this trip and I can say that it was truly worth the effort.

Personally, it's hard for me to imagine something sounding better than the Chord stack driving the TC. It works so well for me and I'm not even interested in checking out anything else right now. I went from the original Hugo with the HD800S and the LCD-3 that I had for nearly 5 years to this setup over the past half-year so, as far as I'm concerned, it was a quantum leap. For me, the TToby (which I originally purchased to drive the Buchardt S400 speakers) is really necessary to get the most out of the TC. It would have been simpler to just take the HMS/TT2 combo on the trip but I felt like I had to take the TToby as well.

I can't say enough about how great the Chord stack sounds in such a compact package - both for driving the 1266 TC as well as the Buchardt S400s. It's compact enough to take on a nature trip like this and sets up in minutes. Most of all, there's a synergy between the three components that is hard to describe. It's just so musical as well as being so clear and transparent. For me, the TToby is the big cherry on top: it adds girth, warmth and bigness while faithfully delivering what comes out of the HMS/TT2 combo. Combining this setup with the great outdoors took it to a whole higher level that transcends more dollars. I'm so happy with the Chord stack and I plan to take it with me on more RV trips in the future. Nature and music just go so well together. Thank you, Rob and all at Chord! :gs1000smile:

IMG_2306.jpeg

IMG_2455.jpeg

IMG_2386.jpeg
IMG_2456.jpeg

Jun 10, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #14,171 of 18,905
I just returned from a great family RV vacation trip to southern Utah to visit Zion and Bryce Canyon NPs (as well as few places in Nevada and Arizona like Lake Mead) and I actually took my full-blown Chord stack with me to enjoy the Abyss 1266 TC while star gazing every night at the RV campsites. Yes, it's a bit over-the-top to take the full Chord stack (including the TToby to drive the TC) but I felt like I needed to go all-in for this trip and I can say that it was truly worth the effort.

Personally, it's hard for me to imagine something sounding better than the Chord stack driving the TC. It works so well for me and I'm not even interested in checking out anything else right now. I went from the original Hugo with the HD800S and the LCD-3 that I had for nearly 5 years to this setup over the past half-year so, as far as I'm concerned, it was a quantum leap. For me, the TToby (which I originally purchased to drive the Buchardt S400 speakers) is really necessary to get the most out of the TC. It would have been simpler to just take the HMS/TT2 combo on the trip but I felt like I had to take the TToby as well.

I can't say enough about how great the Chord stack sounds in such a compact package - both for driving the 1266 TC as well as the Buchardt S400s. It's compact enough to take on a nature trip like this and sets up in minutes. Most of all, there's a synergy between the three components that is hard to describe. It's just so musical as well as being so clear and transparent. For me, the TToby is the big cherry on top: it adds girth, warmth and bigness while faithfully delivering what comes out of the HMS/TT2 combo. Combining this setup with the great outdoors took it to a whole higher level that transcends more dollars. I'm so happy with the Chord stack and I plan to take it with me on more RV trips in the future. Nature and music just go so well together. Thank you, Rob and all at Chord! :gs1000smile:

IMG_2306.jpeg
IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2386.jpegIMG_2456.jpeg
Looking at your $20k setup on that table, I kinda expected you would also bring your Herman Miller chair, haha.

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #14,172 of 18,905
Listened to the TT2 now for a day and prefer the DAC to my PSAudio and Audio Note. The internal headphone amp is a let down and can’t compete with TT2 DAC plus GSX mini or V280. This comes as a surprise as I expected more. It still might need burn in or it is what it is.
But I got the TT2 new for a very good price and I do consider the DAC to be worth that money. Still, it is not a one box solution for me.
There is no internal amp as such. The amplification is integrated into the D/A conversion and is as simple and transparent as possible. You can add an amp, but you cannot bypass the internal amplification at all.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #14,173 of 18,905
There is no internal amp as such. The amplification is integrated into the D/A conversion and is as simple and transparent as possible. You can add an amp, but you cannot bypass the internal amplification at all.
I'd add that if one doesn't like internal headphone amp, they prefer a coloration of some external one. Because since there is no amp, per se, a TT2 is as transparent as possible with no other function applied to the signal after it is converted to analog domain.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #14,174 of 18,905
I'd add that if one doesn't like internal headphone amp, they prefer a coloration of some external one. Because since there is not amp, per se, a TT2 is as transparent as possible with no other function applied to the signal after it is converted to analog domain.
This.

@silversurfer616 I had a Auralic Taurus MKII which is on par or better than the V280 and GSX mini. The difference in resolution between the TT2 direct compared to the Taurus was immediately noticeable. The TT2 was substantially better, the Taurus which I loved and intended to keep, has slightly less detail. You might prefer the output from an amp, but I felt no need to continue owning the Taurus and it took a few minutes for me to make that decision after doing the comparison.

Jun 10, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #14,175 of 18,905

IMG_2306.jpeg
IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2386.jpegIMG_2456.jpeg
Spectacular, very good photos, they show the love he feels for Music.
thanks for sharing

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back