Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 7, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #14,146 of 18,907
Currently, I'm using my laptop as a Roon server with AQ jittberbug into the TT2, I have gift vouchers for a HiFi store and I'm thinking of getting a streamer. I was looking at the Innuos Zen Mini Mk3 but all reviews seem to say that you should get the LPSU with it. If I'm using the TT2 as the Roon end point, and it's USB galvonic isolation, would the lpsu make a difference or at least a significant one to the SQ?

My brain says probably not but I'd rather trust the hive mind experience
Ballszilla, it just so happens that I was using my MacBook Pro as my Roon Core with an AQ Jitterbug and an AQ Diamond USB cable going into my TT2 before things got a little out of hand. I would suggest you read this review before jumping into the Zen Mini MKIII. https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2020...eview-as-a-streamer-vs-innuos-zen-mini-mkiii/ I also us linear power supply units on my TT2, M Scaler, and my ROON Nucleus Rev B streamer, where I have found that they contribute considerably to my systems improvement in sound quality.

Attachments

• 675AD2A6-7A7C-4B14-A268-B5573FB10DD5.jpeg
    675AD2A6-7A7C-4B14-A268-B5573FB10DD5.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 7, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #14,147 of 18,907
Yep, you're right Andrewd01, poor use of terminology on my part.

I had read Steve Huff's review (very much enjoy his HiFi reviews), @bpcans, problem I have is that there's not really a great choice of streamers at the dealer that I have vouchers for. It's really a choice from Bluesound Node 2i (and mod it) for around 900 total (after psu, interface board), the Zen mini mk3 999 Eur (and psu) for 1498 Eur, or Naim ND5 XS2 but that's running at 2,649 Eur and well above my budget of 1,500 which would eat into my MScaler savings and that shan't be happening.

Unfortunately, they don't sell Nucs or Roon Nucleus, so there's not a great deal of choice. I think I can live with the Roon issues...ah, I'll sleep on it as they're closed today

Jun 7, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #14,148 of 18,907
Both the cross feed and the warm filter results in a sense of loss of clarity. Whilst subtle, Try the filter 1 or 2 and turn crossbred off if you are sensitive to this change.
Ok, I think I found my optimal settings for the cleanest sound of the Aryas V2 without being too bright. Low Gain, Warm (Filter 3), XFD0. I also have a Low Shelf Filter set at 135hz +2db down.

I noticed HG made things sound more full bodied but with Filter 3 it was noticeable for me that it got a bit congested in complex loud passages.

A weird electronic soundtrack type sound I used to test this was Utopia from Cristobal Tapia De Veer, 3:35 - 5:05.

. .

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #14,149 of 18,907
I got a question new owner of a tt2 here. when I have my power amp via xlr connected i get no audio if the RCA outputs are used but are the single ended amp is not powered on. Is this normal, for example as soon as i remove the RCA connections when im using the XLR audio is restored.

Jun 7, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #14,150 of 18,907
I got a question new owner of a tt2 here. when I have my power amp via xlr connected i get no audio if the RCA outputs are used but are the single ended amp is not powered on. Is this normal, for example as soon as i remove the RCA connections when im using the XLR audio is restored.
That doesn’t sound good. How are the XLRs wired (high pins), as well as the amp input wiring?

Jun 7, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #14,151 of 18,907
That doesn’t sound good. How are the XLRs wired (high pins), as well as the amp input wiring?
I’m not sure what you mean but the XLR I’ve been using for ages by blue jeans and have no issues before.

Jun 7, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #14,152 of 18,907
I’m not sure what you mean but the XLR I’ve been using for ages by blue jeans and have no issues before.
Both outputs (RCA and XLR) should work at the same time. The RCA wiring should be fine, but which pins on your XLR cable are wired to which pins on the other end? I don’t know how, but if they don’t work at the same time, there is an issue. I am using both the XLR (wired balanced) and the RCAs simultaneously.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #14,153 of 18,907
Sound off! Who's using what headphones these days? Any plan to switch and to what? I'm Meze Empyrean. I'm always looking! No clue now though.

Jun 7, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #14,154 of 18,907
Sound off! Who's using what headphones these days? Any plan to switch and to what? I'm Meze Empyrean. I'm always looking! No clue now though.
The options are many :)

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #14,155 of 18,907
Both outputs (RCA and XLR) should work at the same time. The RCA wiring should be fine, but which pins on your XLR cable are wired to which pins on the other end? I don’t know how, but if they don’t work at the same time, there is an issue. I am using both the XLR (wired balanced) and the RCAs simultaneously.
When you say that you're using both XLR and RCAs simultaneously, do you mean you're connected to two separate amps? do you operate these two separate amps simultaneously with no issues, or do you use one amp at a time only? Do you keep both amps switched on even if you are listening to only one amp?

Jun 8, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #14,156 of 18,907
When you say that you're using both XLR and RCAs simultaneously, do you mean you're connected to two separate amps? do you operate these two separate amps simultaneously with no issues, or do you use one amp at a time only? Do you keep both amps switched on even if you are listening to only one amp?
The XLRs are driving passive speakers directly and the RCAs are driving an active sub. But, in normal operation, both outputs are always providing signal, in less a headphone is plugged into the front panel, in which case neither rear output will supply a signal. I don’t know of an operational mode where one output is on and the other off (though that would be a good feature). That’s why I ask how things are wired because it does not sound right to be getting the results you are.

Jun 8, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #14,157 of 18,907
The XLRs are driving passive speakers directly and the RCAs are driving an active sub. But, in normal operation, both outputs are always providing signal, in less a headphone is plugged into the front panel, in which case neither rear output will supply a signal. I don’t know of an operational mode where one output is on and the other off (though that would be a good feature). That’s why I ask how things are wired because it does not sound right to be getting the results you are.
oops sorry I was not the originator of the question, I just hi-jacked with my own question in between lol. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #14,158 of 18,907
ok so I am running XLR to a few amps but issue is with a firstwatt F1J in this case the chord is in AMP mode, the problem is when i have the RCA cables attached to the chord output the firstwatt speaker amp will not play out from the speakers. Ive tried several amplifiers on the RCA end a beta22 headphone amp and a integrated tube amp for speakers that are not in use or even switched on it somehow causes issues with playback on the speakers.

when I remove the RCA connections the problem with speaker playback is fixed. Know ive been troubleshooting a bit and swapped out the firstwatt and I used a few of my electrostatic headphone amps over XLR and i do not get the issue when stuff via RCA is connected and turned off/on.

it seems that there's something about the firstwatt fl1 i guess as emails to chord said both should be able to be in use and that applied to AMP mode or DAC modes.
customer support will be asking the engineering team but the current thought is something about the load presented by the First Watt is preventing dual connection.

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #14,159 of 18,907
ok so I am running XLR to a few amps but issue is with a firstwatt F1J in this case the chord is in AMP mode, the problem is when i have the RCA cables attached to the chord output the firstwatt speaker amp will not play out from the speakers. Ive tried several amplifiers on the RCA end a beta22 headphone amp and a integrated tube amp for speakers that are not in use or even switched on it somehow causes issues with playback on the speakers.

when I remove the RCA connections the problem with speaker playback is fixed. Know ive been troubleshooting a bit and swapped out the firstwatt and I used a few of my electrostatic headphone amps over XLR and i do not get the issue when stuff via RCA is connected and turned off/on.

it seems that there's something about the firstwatt fl1 i guess as emails to chord said both should be able to be in use and that applied to AMP mode or DAC modes.
customer support will be asking the engineering team but the current thought is something about the load presented by the First Watt is preventing dual connection.
Interesting, but I think this is beyond trouble-shooting here. Sounds like you are getting help from Chord, so good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Jun 8, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #14,160 of 18,907
Interesting, but I think this is beyond trouble-shooting here. Sounds like you are getting help from Chord, so good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
Chord will hopefully provide me reasons why it may be happening to only the firstwatt but we still unsure but in meantime they asked for specs of the f1j as well as pass it along to the engineering team. hopefully it all works out in the end as id like to not have to unplug/replug the RCA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back