Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 3, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #13,756 of 18,969
Worth a try @bpcans! A lot of that vintage gear has a great sound. You'll probably need to tap into the speaker outputs for full power. And don't forget to start out very low with the volume!

May 3, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #13,757 of 18,969
Worth a try @bpcans! A lot of that vintage gear has a great sound. You'll probably need to tap into the speaker outputs for full power. And don't forget to start out very low with the volume!
ra990, that amp could drive four Bose 901 direct/reflecting speakers, not the most efficient mind you, to an almost ear splitting volume, and you could listen through your headphones at the same time. Now that was an immersive listening experience.

May 3, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #13,758 of 18,969
ra990, that amp could drive four Bose 901 direct/reflecting speakers, not the most efficient mind you, to an almost ear splitting volume, and you could listen through your headphones at the same time. Now that was an immersive listening experience.
That sounds like a really solid combination. I remember, as a kid, going to people's houses and just being wowed by this type of vintage equipment. Those racks of separate components, huge EQ processing units, glowing UV meters, gorgeous looking speakers, and then of course the beautiful music that came out of the systems. I was the kid that went straight to admire A/V gear while others played video games.

May 3, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #13,759 of 18,969
May 3, 2021 at 11:02 PM Post #13,760 of 18,969
Posting here for anyone interested. @Pashmeister just confirmed that this affordable balanced cable adapter from Amazon is wired correctly for use with the XLR outs on the TT2: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZP6XJSF
I have this and another I found on ebay. Both work equally well to drive the iESL I have. Just took a month to arrive like most such things from China.

May 4, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #13,762 of 18,969
The Susvara is the technically better and more all-rounder out of the headphones listed. Whilst the Empy's have a lovely bass, the clarity and separation isn't it's strong point. i.e. it's very good, but not quite up to the TOTL alternatives above. It is however a lovely listen and the tonality would pair well with the TT2.

I would for your purposes (if bass is what you're after) choose between Susvara and LCD-4. Or consider the LCD-4Z which would drive just fine out of the front headphone jack. Susvara is more comfortable and neutral but harder to drive well.

Utopia is still somewhat bright and benefits from the HF roll off filter on the TT2.
Susvara completely mops the floor with the Empyrean. If the bass isn't boomy enough add a low shelf at 45 and maybe another at 150, depending on your taste. Same for LCD4, if your after the dynamic slam, get Utopia instead.

May 4, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #13,763 of 18,969
keyword: Beginner Starter Music Server USB optical isolation best value price performance

Hi, I'm in then I'm out. Just wanted to follow up on my previous post since I recently received the Monoprice and Uptone USPCB. The Monoprice SlimRun USB optical works and works well with the Uptone USPCB. It handles VBUS properly for Chord DAC handshake use as long as the SlimRun is powered by 5V. I just use a mains Anker 5V charger for testing. I didn't go further like not power the SlimRun with 5V or turn off VBUS on USPCB.

I don't like making recommendations as the prices are steep for this hobby, but I believe this to be the best price performance ratio if you already have a PC or laptop you already own. I'm not sure it this works with older Intel Macs/Macbooks. AudioLinux boots with just a USB stick, so it will not interfere much with your normal PC use. Just plug in the USB stick when you want to listen and pull out USB stick for normal PC operations. There may be some BIOS adjustments, but after the learning curve it will be second nature.

If I did not dedicate this year to experimenting with State of the Art clocks (>>>>HiFi clocks) for toslink use, I would be happy with this setup. But I was only happy after I configured expert mode and added buffers to Squeezlite, then the magic happened. I usually don't like USB, but this was okay with a low latency realtime kernel. The sound is usually uninvolving with other USB solutions, but there's something there with AudioLinux when properly configured. Only had a few hours to listen and won't have time to listen again for a few months, but it's something I consider good value and worth the effort if you are PC literate.

I'm only making this recommendation if you already have a PC to try out. I'm not comfortable if you go out and build an entire PC just to try this out. The $239 total is just to experiment with your current PC. If you like it, knock yourself out and get a dual Xeon or NUC. I think I'll start a dual Xeon w/ Industrial ECC next year as there is something there.

Note: Even though most use Audiolinux for NUC, I don't see why you just can't just use it for a normal gaming pc, pc or laptop (battery-powered or mains). Others have done so. At least to start out with before you decide if it's worth it to scale. I had to fully tweak out and optimize AudioLinux for the magic to happen.

AudioLinux $59
http://www.audio-linux.com/

Monoprice $142
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16377
** You can get free shipping by searching "monoprice coupon code", so $133 **

USPCB $38 w/ USPS shipping
https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter

Repurpose PC $0

Repurpose USB stick $0

Repurpose HDD $0

Total hit: $239

Later On (Optional):
5V Battery Power USB optical ($20-$200)
5V Regulator for Battery if needed ($150)
Scale with a more powerful PC with Industrial RAM ($500 - $30000)
Euphony OS (??$350)

May 4, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #13,764 of 18,969
Hi, I'm in then I'm out. Just wanted to follow up on my previous post since I recently received the Monoprice and Uptone USPCB. The Monoprice SlimRun USB optical works and works well with the Uptone USPCB. It handles VBUS properly for Chord DAC handshake use as long as the SlimRun is powered by 5V. I just use a mains Anker 5V charger for testing. I didn't go further like not power the SlimRun with 5V or turn off VBUS on USPCB.

I don't like making recommendations as the prices are steep for this hobby, but I believe this to be the best price performance ratio if you already have a PC or laptop you already own. I'm not sure it this works with older Intel Macs/Macbooks. AudioLinux boots with just a USB stick, so it will not interfere much with your normal PC use. Just plug in the USB stick when you want to listen and pull out USB stick for normal PC operations. There may be some BIOS adjustments, but after the learning curve it will be second nature.

If I did not dedicate this year to experimenting with State of the Art clocks (>>>>HiFi clocks) for toslink use, I would be happy with this setup. But I was only happy after I configured expert mode and added buffers to Squeezlite, then the magic happened. I usually don't like USB, but this was okay with a low latency realtime kernel. The sound is usually uninvolving with other USB solutions, but there's something there with AudioLinux when properly configured. Only had a few hours to listen and won't have time to listen again for a few months, but it's something I consider good value and worth the effort if you are PC literate.

I'm only making this recommendation if you already have a PC to try out. I'm not comfortable if you go out and build an entire PC just to try this out. The $239 total is just to experiment with your current PC. If you like it, knock yourself out and get a dual Xeon or NUC. I think I'll start a dual Xeon w/ Industrial ECC next year as there is something there.

Note: Even though most use Audiolinux for NUC, I don't see why you just can't just use it for a normal gaming pc, pc or laptop (battery-powered or mains). Others have done so. At least to start out with before you decide if it's worth it to scale. I had to fully tweak out and optimize AudioLinux for the magic to happen.

AudioLinux $59
http://www.audio-linux.com/

Monoprice $142
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16377
** You can get free shipping by searching "monoprice coupon code", so $133 **

USPCB $38 w/ USPS shipping
https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter

Repurpose PC $0

Repurpose USB stick $0

Repurpose HDD $0

Total hit: $239

Later On (Optional):
5V Battery Power USB optical ($20-$200)
5V Regulator for Battery if needed ($150)
Scale with a more powerful PC with Industrial RAM ($500 - $30000)
Euphony OS (??$350)
Wish they had that usb/opti cable in something less than 32ft!

May 5, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #13,766 of 18,969
Dear Sirs,
I currently have the HTT2 paired with Audeze LCDX, it sounds pretty good, I like it, however I am looking for an upgrade that delivers a sound with better bass.
the alternatives are:
  • Meze Emperyan
  • Focal Utopia
  • Abyss AB 1266 phi
  • Audeze LCD 4
  • Hifiman Susvara
  • Zmf Verite
  • Final Audio D8000 Pro
"Assuming" that the only one that would require an XLR connection (rear panel TT2) would be the SUSVARA?
Which of these would you recommend me?
Thank you
Unfortunately I have only tried some of the headphones from above (Empyrean, Susvara) but I'm currently using a pair of Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC, and you should definitely check these headphones out as they are amazing, especially if you are interested in bass, but not just that. Make an audition if you can. You will be amazed. :relieved:

May 5, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #13,767 of 18,969
Unfortunately I have only tried some of the headphones from above (Empyrean, Susvara) but I'm currently using a pair of Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC, and you should definitely check these headphones out as they are amazing, especially if you are interested in bass, but not just that. Make an audition if you can. You will be amazed. :relieved:
zenlisten, I also am running WAVE STORM BNC’s between my HMS and HTT2. IMHO you could put any decent TOTL hp at the end of that listening chain and get exceptional results. I’m running an Audioquest Diamond USB from my Roon Nucleus Rev B to my HMS with very good results. Would you suggest that I try an optical connection from the Nucleus to the M Scaler just to hear how they compare against each other? I’m waiting on a pair of Abyss 1266 Phi TC’s to compliment my Focal Utopia’s in my hp system. You should definitely give the Utopia’s a demo. They are the best dynamic hp’s that I’ve ever heard!

May 5, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #13,768 of 18,969
Would you suggest that I try an optical connection from the Nucleus to the M Scaler just to hear how they compare against each other?
Definitely, and please share what you experience. Never tried the Nucleus myself.

I’m waiting on a pair of Abyss 1266 Phi TC’s to compliment my Focal Utopia’s in my hp system. You should definitely give the Utopia’s a demo. They are the best dynamic hp’s that I’ve ever heard!
Yes, would love to do it some day. (Probably once this pandemic became quieter here in Europe, and we will walk around and visit shops again.)

May 5, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #13,769 of 18,969
I realize this is head-fi, but I do own an Mscaler/TT2 and use headphones occasionally. My main listening is done through speakers however, and after revisiting Vinyl for 8 months or so, I have decided it is not for me. Traded in my Vinyl rig today on a new streamer and a new pair of speakers.
The streamer is Naim ND5XS2, to go with the Naim Core I already own. I have never tried Roon, but the ND5 is Roon ready I guess.
To me, the Naim App works fine, and I don’t see any reason to pay a company to sort out my music. The new speakers are Kef LS 50 Meta’s, my first pair of Kef’s. The nice thing about the Naim streamer is I don’t have to fiddle around with all those gizmos a lot of you guys use here, just plug in the BNC cable and go.I can’t wait to pick them up Saturday to see what improvements they bring.
Cheers.

May 5, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #13,770 of 18,969
Definitely, and please share what you experience. Never tried the Nucleus myself.

Yes, would love to do it some day. (Probably once this pandemic became quieter here in Europe, and we will walk around and visit shops again.)
zenlisten, the Roon Nucleus + TIDAL & Qobuz is a wonderful way to listen 🎧 seamlessly to all kinds of music at the touch of your finger from either my iPhone, iPad, or MacBook Pro 💻, to my headphones or anywhere in my house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back