Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 10, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #12,361 of 18,905
The Mscaler has arrived. I will post some impressions later but I will say that what I’m hearing is not what I would call subtle improvements... especially in the highs. Wow!
18669447-D0E5-4079-88E5-CEC5A292027E.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #12,362 of 18,905
I tried the TV through my M-Scaler/TT2 today, into SCM40A speakers. It's surprisingly excellent.
I tried that a while back, and I had lip sync issues. Mine is through Mscaler/TT2 into a Nagra integrated and passive speakers however. My TV is an LG C9, using optical cable from TV to Mscaler. Any ways to fix the lip sync problem that anyone is aware of?

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #12,363 of 18,905
I tried that a while back, and I had lip sync issues. Mine is through Mscaler/TT2 into a Nagra integrated and passive speakers however. My TV is an LG C9, using optical cable from TV to Mscaler. Any ways to fix the lip sync problem that anyone is aware of?
Pressing the video button should sort that.?

Feb 10, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #12,365 of 18,905
The Mscaler has arrived. I will post some impressions later but I will say that what I’m hearing is not what I would call subtle improvements... especially in the highs. Wow!
18669447-D0E5-4079-88E5-CEC5A292027E.jpeg
Great pic...glad to hear that you are liking it so far. i can't wait to hear more listening impressions. I am in negotiations for a preowned unit, but may just bite the bullet on a new one if the deal falls through. It is a piece of equipment that is hard to understand unless it is heard. I am intrigued but still a bit skeptical:)

Feb 10, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #12,366 of 18,905
Great pic...glad to hear that you are liking it so far. i can't wait to hear more listening impressions. I am in negotiations for a preowned unit, but may just bite the bullet on a new one if the deal falls through. It is a piece of equipment that is hard to understand unless it is heard. I am intrigued but still a bit skeptical:)
I’m very pleased with the M-Scaler though I’ll admit I was also skeptical. Very happy I gave in to it and I absolutely believe it’s worth it.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #12,367 of 18,905

Interested to hear what you think. I'm just waiting for my TT2 to arrive..have the mscaler already :L3000:

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #12,368 of 18,905
That's what the video mode is meant for. Have you got that enabled? First button from the left, it should be white to turn it on. For music you want it either yellow or off.

Feb 10, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #12,369 of 18,905
Whatever cable you get, just make sure they don't short pins 1 and 3 together on the 3pin XLR. Some adapters (from ebay and amazon) do that and I've had a previous TT2 unit literally crackle and pop when I plugged it in. Probably a good idea to ensure whoever is building your cable knows that. Just use two pins on the TT2, specifically 2 and 3 for balanced.

A multimeter with continuity tester can check if they have shorted pins 1 & 3 together.

Agree with you on Utopia really coming alive out of tube amps. My favorite pairing was driving them out of the Woo WA8, made them sound like the top tier headphone they are supposed to be.

I need to break out mine. I stopped using it because my DAP battery wouldn't last and I couldn't find one that would charge and be able to use USB out at the same time. KANN has new version...

Feb 11, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #12,370 of 18,905
I'm still unclear.

Are efficient speakers ok to use with TT2 or not? Was there something mentioned that it can harm the tt2 in the past as well? I think I've read it but who knows.

I sure wish I Knew how to read speaker stats to see if the 18w the tt2 can push works with them or not.

It would appear that Chord's standpoint is do not use speakers with the TT2. However there has been no announcement that I have seen. There is nothing on the Chord website about it. The manual has not changed and still says efficient speakers can be driven quite loud.

However some have claimed in this thread that Chord have announced we are not to use speakers on the TT2.

I spoke with someone from Chord ages ago. They said TT2 is not really designed for driving speakers. However Rob Watts said in this thread that he stands by what he said. Meaning TT2 can drive speakers.

If anyone knows anything more positive, I'd be glad to know it.

If your speakers are 8ohms as most are, then you need to look at Sensitivity spec, anything 90dB and up is no problem at all to normal volume in small to medium room. My speakers are 89dB and I never needed more than -10 on volume orb.
Warning: What you never want to do is to go over +5dB, it is very loud, and that's where distortion starts, it can damage your speakers.
TT2 has thermal protection, if somehow you managed to overload it it would trip.
In my case, using it with my speakers, is no different than with my headphones, it stays warm to the touch, never hot. Sound that this thing makes is out of this world to everybody in my house, even my cat loves it.

some more info here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-771#post-16091242
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-480#post-15223674
He mentions these speakers in the second link: https://www.bowerswilkins.com/sites/default/files/2018-08/803-D3-info-sheet.pdf - their sensitivity is 90dB

I saw Rob Watts say quite a few times, not to go over +7. Something to do with clipping, that I never understood.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #12,371 of 18,905
I saw Rob Watts say quite a few times, not to go over +7. Something to do with clipping, that I never understood.
That's only when you're on low gain. It will clip a with a max signal beyond that volume. IMO, if you're anywhere near 0 volume, you should already be using high gain and this wouldn't apply.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #12,373 of 18,905
Today I had a strange behavior of TT2 and I want to ask if someone else had the same. I do not remember to read about this and I am following the thread for some time. I pressed the On button and the led above became red, however I was not seeing the starting sequence on the display (CHG and so on). I waited a few seconds, then pressed it again and only then it started normally. Did anyone encountered this?

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #12,374 of 18,905
Hi all. I’ve been reading up a bit and following this thread in the last week or so.
Recently i bought a niimbus us4 to drive my susvaras. i also have the utopias and hekse
As one can do here I am also now looking at dacs and weighing them up with the metrum hex dac that I have and really enjoy.
i have demoed the tt2 a couple of times a while ago and enjoyed it. In my brief demos i found them pretty similar in quality but slightly different but they were brief demos and before i bought the us4.
(the plan was to make this post shorter than what this is)
i am looking at whether the tt2 and niimbus will work together.
however in reading this thread i am thinking (please confirm if my thinking is correct):
1) even though the tt2 is well loved, the tt2 (only?) really shines with the hms;
2) the usb is not as good as the optical input. i am using usb out from my imac at the moment;
3) i may need to look at RF issued and look at an external battery, or is that more for the hms. Does rob watts not believe so - I haven’t totally to understood the (maybe) difference in opinions;
4) upgraded bnc cables are highly recommended for the hms tt2 link.

are these 4 points correct or common?
if so, me looking at the tt2 as an option is not as easy or as “cheap” as i was hoping to stretch my budget to as as to consider it.
so i either have to start saving and come back to it later or decide to look at other simpler/ less expensive options

if it was as simple as tt2 is great by itself and does shine and later i could come back to the hms for a “turbo boost” in quality (that is mot a must have) that would be good but reading this thread has raised my above concerns and giving me a more complicated but perhaps a more accurate picture of where things are at

any help on my concerns will be much appreciated

(apologies for the novella)

thanks
peter

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #12,375 of 18,905
Hi all. I’ve been reading up a bit and following this thread in the last week or so.
Recently i bought a niimbus us4 to drive my susvaras. i also have the utopias and hekse
As one can do here I am also now looking at dacs and weighing them up with the metrum hex dac that I have and really enjoy.
i have demoed the tt2 a couple of times a while ago and enjoyed it. In my brief demos i found them pretty similar in quality but slightly different but they were brief demos and before i bought the us4.
(the plan was to make this post shorter than what this is)
i am looking at whether the tt2 and niimbus will work together.
however in reading this thread i am thinking (please confirm if my thinking is correct):
1) even though the tt2 is well loved, the tt2 (only?) really shines with the hms;
2) the usb is not as good as the optical input. i am using usb out from my imac at the moment;
3) i may need to look at RF issued and look at an external battery, or is that more for the hms. Does rob watts not believe so - I haven’t totally to understood the (maybe) difference in opinions;
4) upgraded bnc cables are highly recommended for the hms tt2 link.

are these 4 points correct or common?
if so, me looking at the tt2 as an option is not as easy or as “cheap” as i was hoping to stretch my budget to as as to consider it.
so i either have to start saving and come back to it later or decide to look at other simpler/ less expensive options

if it was as simple as tt2 is great by itself and does shine and later i could come back to the hms for a “turbo boost” in quality (that is mot a must have) that would be good but reading this thread has raised my above concerns and giving me a more complicated but perhaps a more accurate picture of where things are at

any help on my concerns will be much appreciated

(apologies for the novella)

thanks
peter
Tt2 alone without HMS with its supplied smps can beat any dac. Imo the real test of a dac is in a speaker system where you can quickly get the idea of depth and imaging of a dac. There is a group test on YouTube where in qutest was tested against popular dacs and no wonder it ranked top. Tt2 is even better than qutest. Replacing smps with battery has little effect on tt2 as tt2 has supercaps. In case of HMS the affect is more. Usb of tt2 is galvenically isolated but still like all dacs there is improvement if you use devices like ifi isilencer and/or ferrite clips.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back