Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 7, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #11,551 of 18,907
I’ve “invested” a significant amount (by my standards anyway) in Chord equipment; I have a 2650 integrated amp, TT2 and M-Scaler. At the moment all is functioning as it should and I am happy but there seems to be some confusion about what is and is not appropriate. For example Chord says I should use ONLY the mains power cord for my 2650 (yeh, right...) and don’t use aftermarket power supplies for the TT2 and, now, don’t connect speakers. @Rob Watts uses an aftermarket supply (a battery) for his TT2 and says speakers are appropriate. Now, there may be issues with the TT2 power supply (still unknown for certain) or it may be an inrush limiter or, well, who knows.

To be perfectly clear Chord seems to be doing everything they can to resolves those problems but most of us don’t want to be faced with these issues along with confused communication about what is, or isn‘t allowed for warranty purposes. I haven’t yet heard of anyone whose device was denied a warranty repair for using appropriate aftermarket power supplies, cords, speakers, etc so it appears they are trying to walk a fine line here to protect themselves. Even the email you quote is confusing; first it says don’t connect speakers and then it says we really don’t recommend it. So, can I or not?

More to follow, I’m sure!
I think that was referring to driving speakers rather than not connecting any speakers as you stated (mine are active).

If the inrush limiter is making the noise then is it possible that the mains power for some people is having surges and causing issues? I'm not trying to point the finger away from Chord or saying that the equipment should not be able to cope with it - I'm just wondering aloud and further wonder if some inrush limiters are not quite up to spec or if the spec is perhaps not quite sufficient to cope with some specific electrical scenarios?

It would be interesting to hear Chord's position on this.

Jan 7, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #11,552 of 18,907
Does somebody uses his Hugo TT2 with a TToby? Is this a good marriage? Or is a 'real' pre amp better?

I am tempting to buy a used TToby for my speaker system.
The TT2 works fine without a pre-amp as far as I am aware (it does on my system).

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #11,553 of 18,907
Just made a deal to upgrade from a Hugo-2 to a Hugo TT. Had been using the Hugo-2 with the M-Scaler. The M-Scaler greatly enhanced the Hugo-2 performance. Was wondering what to expect with the upgrade to the TT2 from the Hugo-2 with using the M-Scaler. To me, the M-Scaler is an amazing bit of kit. The difference using the M-Scaler with the Hugo-2 was incredible. Hope to get a similar result with the TT2.

Jan 7, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #11,555 of 18,907
Just made a deal to upgrade from a Hugo-2 to a Hugo TT. Had been using the Hugo-2 with the M-Scaler. The M-Scaler greatly enhanced the Hugo-2 performance. Was wondering what to expect with the upgrade to the TT2 from the Hugo-2 with using the M-Scaler. To me, the M-Scaler is an amazing bit of kit. The difference using the M-Scaler with the Hugo-2 was incredible. Hope to get a similar result with the TT2.
I don’t think you will be disappointed!

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #11,556 of 18,907
I’ve had an email from Chord which says “our advice now is; regardless of sensitivity or impedance do not connect speakers directly to the TT2. We’re aware of the comments that Rob made about connecting speakers directly but the components in the output stage weren’t selected for driving speakers and we really don’t recommend it.

@Rob Watts
Rob, would you be so kind to comment on this?

I assume that even very inefficient headphones like Abyss 1266 or HiFiMan Susvara are much easier load for TT2 than even very sensitive speakers. Headphones have higher impedance and need less electrical damping (not sure if I phrased it correctly in English), so we should be safe with driving headphones from balanced output, even if speakers aren’t recommended anymore. Am I right?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #11,557 of 18,907
@Rob Watts

I assume that even very inefficient headphones like Abyss 1266 or HiFiMan Susvara are much easier load for TT2 than even very sensitive speakers. Headphones have higher impedance and need less electrical damping (not sure if I phrased it correctly in English), so we should be safe with driving headphones from balanced output, even if speakers aren’t recommended anymore. Am I right?

How can we get further clarity on this

Jan 8, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #11,561 of 18,907
@Rob Watts

I think it's about low impedance of the speakers (4-8ohm) and current delivery.
Headphones have much higher impedance so they don't suck that much current.
On speakers huge current swing can occur (lower impedance higher current demand - correct ?) hence frying output stage in TT2.
I had used pretty hard to drive speakers with my TT2 (89db 6-4ohm load). I was able to drive them to really good levels (I was trying to be easy and don't push too hard) - TT2 was just a bit warm to touch never had problem with it. Actually I was able to get TT2 much hotter driving my lcd3. (but with speakers my listening sessions were significantly shorter)
But I can imagine with tough loads like 4ohms with loud and long listening session it could be dangerous - also because of thermals.
Having said that, I would not have anything against driving headphones with XLR output I'm sure it's safe.

As for Rob saying TT2 can drive speakers. YES but he also said efficient loudspeakers.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #11,562 of 18,907
@Rob Watts

My advice on TT2 driving efficient loudspeakers has not changed - it's perfectly capable of doing it, both from a dynamic current POV and thermally when you use the single ended output - but I don't recommend using the XLRs as it will thermally trip into 8 ohms or less. If it doesn't thermally trip then you do not need the extra power, as single ended will do.

XLRs into 16 ohm loads or greater is fine. But 18v RMS is a lot of voltage to feed into a headphone!

Whilst on the subject of XLRs, some amplifiers on the XLR inputs short pins 1 and 3 together. This can cause damage to TT2, so take care that XLR inputs are truly balanced.

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #11,563 of 18,907
My advice on TT2 driving efficient loudspeakers has not changed - it's perfectly capable of doing it, both from a dynamic current POV and thermally when you use the single ended output - but I don't recommend using the XLRs as it will thermally trip into 8 ohms or less. If it doesn't thermally trip then you do not need the extra power, as single ended will do.

XLRs into 16 ohm loads or greater is fine. But 18v RMS is a lot of voltage to feed into a headphone!

Whilst on the subject of XLRs, some amplifiers on the XLR inputs short pins 1 and 3 together. This can cause damage to TT2, so take care that XLR inputs are truly balanced.
Can you confirm that active speakers are fine? I am using ATC SCM40A from the TT2 using XLR.

Jan 8, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #11,564 of 18,907
https://www.amazon.co.uk/music/unlimited

free for 3 months

has a large orb collection

Thanks. Question @ZappaMan - when one clicks on "Looking for Amazon Music HD - Get Started" at the bottom of the page, the same 3-month free trial offer comes up. At this point it is still an amazon.co.uk. But when clicking on the yellow button to select the trial, it takes me to amazon.com where it shows amounts in dollars, my Amazon U.S. default payment option. The same happens when using amazon.de, same sequence of events, the last page becomes amazon.com. It's strange because on the second page the amounts are shown in GBP and EUR respectively, so why does clicking on the Try 3 Months free take one to amazon.com in USD?

Sorry, not on topic I know, just want to give this a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back