Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 7, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #11,536 of 18,991
It's quiet concerning that Chord are giving mixed messages on the use of the TT2.

On a different forum today a user recently reached out to Chord asking for guidence on using efficient speakers direct with his TT2.

Chords reply

" I’ve had an email from Chord which says “our advice now is; regardless of sensitivity or impedance do not connect speakers directly to the TT2. We’re aware of the comments that Rob made about connecting speakers directly but the components in the output stage weren’t selected for driving speakers and we really don’t recommend it.”

Chord in the TT2 manual say it can be used with efficient speakers and Rob Watts has been quiet vocal and a supporter of using the TT2 in this way himself.

You either can or can't and are
users who have followed guidence given in the TT2 manual or have followed Robs example in doing so now be in danger of voiding their warranties?

It would be good to get some further clarity on this.

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #11,537 of 18,991
Those xlr outs were always made for pre amps

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #11,538 of 18,991
Those xlr outs were always made for pre amps
Do you mean pre-amps rather than power amps?

I use XLR outputs directly from my TT2 to my ATC SCM40A and they work great (obviously they are active speakers with built in power amplifiers but the XLR outputs are not going into a pre-amp).

The system sounds pretty good to my ears.

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #11,539 of 18,991
Sure I’m thinking hp pre amps

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #11,540 of 18,991
How much and where did you get it from, as minutes from emailing chord to tell them that the replacement psu had more or less cured the clicking problem, about an hour or so after that email, it started clicking again, and louder.

I don’t know whats going on, and my warranty runs out at the end of this year, if it has to get fixed again, once I get it back, I won’t even unpack it from its box, straight to ebay it will go, or possibly a trade in for something better.

Just as I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Thanks. I have been a Chord product owner and I have been flirting with the idea of buying something from them such as a TT2 or even DAVE. I have had some reservations about their company and the ergonomics and styling are not to my taste. The colored balls are something I truly dislike since I am color blind and I am not a fan of the outdated Fisher Price esthetic.

This issue and the way Chord has chosen to respond/not respond to it are the last straw for me. I will not be purchasing any Chord products and I bid these Chord product threads adios. The best of luck to you all.

I would like to remind anyone contemplating the use of an after market power supply:
"Power supplies: All mains-operated Chord Electronics products will be supplied with the appropriate charger or power supply. It is important that customers only use those that we include within the package. Use of a third-party power supply can provide the wrong voltage or current to our devices and damage them, even if this is not initially noticeable. Use of a third-party power supply will immediately void your warranty."
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/warranty-policy/

You must "use those that we include within the package", regardless of the quality of the thing they decide to include in the package. This kind of high handed behavior towards people who just want to work around problems that are caused by poor quality is to me rude, disrespectful and irresponsible.

Bye.

PS: A note to anyone planning to sell faulty goods on ebay: Don't, you will cause aggravation and inconvenience to the buyer, the goods will be returned to you and you will have to pay costs.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #11,542 of 18,991
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #11,543 of 18,991
Fair enough - it is Head-Fi... I forgot where I was. :beyersmile:
I am using the XLR outputs on the TT2 into my Nagra integrated, works great. 1716A216-2F53-45DC-8B0A-0B05392435F3.jpegB8F84344-1A13-4325-9A41-7FD1D783727F.jpeg

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #11,545 of 18,991
It's quiet concerning that Chord are giving mixed messages on the use of the TT2.

On a different forum today a user recently reached out to Chord asking for guidence on using efficient speakers direct with his TT2.

Chords reply

" I’ve had an email from Chord which says “our advice now is; regardless of sensitivity or impedance do not connect speakers directly to the TT2. We’re aware of the comments that Rob made about connecting speakers directly but the components in the output stage weren’t selected for driving speakers and we really don’t recommend it.”

Chord in the TT2 manual say it can be used with efficient speakers and Rob Watts has been quiet vocal and a supporter of using the TT2 in this way himself.

users who have followed guidence given in the TT2 manual or have followed Robs example in doing so now be in danger of voiding their warranties?

Would you mind providing a link to that quote from Chord ?

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #11,547 of 18,991

Chords reply

I’ve “invested” a significant amount (by my standards anyway) in Chord equipment; I have a 2650 integrated amp, TT2 and M-Scaler. At the moment all is functioning as it should and I am happy but there seems to be some confusion about what is and is not appropriate. For example Chord says I should use ONLY the mains power cord for my 2650 (yeh, right...) and don’t use aftermarket power supplies for the TT2 and, now, don’t connect speakers. @Rob Watts uses an aftermarket supply (a battery) for his TT2 and says speakers are appropriate. Now, there may be issues with the TT2 power supply (still unknown for certain) or it may be an inrush limiter or, well, who knows.

To be perfectly clear Chord seems to be doing everything they can to resolves those problems but most of us don’t want to be faced with these issues along with confused communication about what is, or isn‘t allowed for warranty purposes. I haven’t yet heard of anyone whose device was denied a warranty repair for using appropriate aftermarket power supplies, cords, speakers, etc so it appears they are trying to walk a fine line here to protect themselves. Even the email you quote is confusing; first it says don’t connect speakers and then it says we really don’t recommend it. So, can I or not?

More to follow, I’m sure!

Jan 7, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #11,549 of 18,991

Users who are viewing this thread

Back