Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 11, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #12,391 of 18,907
Feb 11, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #12,392 of 18,907
As long as it can accept bluetooth and will play my mp3 files it might be worth considering it

Feb 11, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #12,394 of 18,907
Feb 11, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #12,395 of 18,907
I was talking about the function.
But you have always a top product price in any area 😉
I doubt anyone spending that much on a streamer is going to use a TT2 with it and I suspect I could buy a house for the money they would spend on speakers. I honestly doubt it would be any better at it's job than an Auralic - it simply needs to not introduce anything extra to the signal, ensure that the output is clean and, perhaps most important, have a good interface and be updated regularly. Auralic tick those boxes for me and I cannot imagine any benefit from spending the sort of money required for the product you have mentioned.

All rather off-topic of course and I have not listened to that through a TT2 (and never would). 😉

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #12,396 of 18,907
I doubt anyone spending that much on a streamer is going to use a TT2 with it and I suspect I could buy a house for the money they would spend on speakers. I honestly doubt it would be any better at it's job than an Auralic - it simply needs to not introduce anything extra to the signal, ensure that the output is clean and, perhaps most important, have a good interface and be updated regularly. Auralic tick those boxes for me and I cannot imagine any benefit from spending the sort of money required for the product you have mentioned.

All rather off-topic of course and I have not listened to that through a TT2 (and never would). 😉

Indeed that are for different systems but the Tiko is worlds apart of any Auralic and as I tell it’s the first one that can rival a CD player, for the same or lower price I prefer to use a CD to a streamer.
this will replace a Innuos Statement in this system and will be connected to the Nagra HD DAC X.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #12,397 of 18,907
The only dedicated cd player i have is a rotel rcd865bx which was a cracker/beauty in the mid/late 80’s. As long as it is better than that.

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #12,398 of 18,907
Indeed that are for different systems but the Tiko is worlds apart of any Auralic and as I tell it’s the first one that can rival a CD player, for the same or lower price I prefer to use a CD to a streamer.
this will replace a Innuos Statement in this system and will be connected to the Nagra HD DAC X.
Worlds apart when used with a TT2? It’s a strong statement for something that would use the same input file.

CD is better than a Hi-Res stream? That is a genuine question – I have no idea about this.

The convenience of streaming is a significant advantage.

Feb 11, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #12,399 of 18,907
Only worth it at 160kbps....
That goes without saying - otherwise it there might be a bottleneck on the chain.
come to think of it, i think that bottleneck would be my ears

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #12,400 of 18,907
Worlds apart when used with a TT2? It’s a strong statement for something that would use the same input file.

CD is better than a Hi-Res stream? That is a genuine question – I have no idea about this.

The convenience of streaming is a significant advantage.
There is an extensive review of this product on Audiophile Lifestyle

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #12,401 of 18,907
There is an extensive review of this product on Audiophile Lifestyle
I wasn't really interested but had a quick look and it doesn't really provide comparisons (and seems to have used USB regeneration and very good power supplies, etc, etc).

My only interest was in the comment that it was worlds apart (into a TT2 as this is a TT2 thread) and how CD compares to Hi-Res.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #12,402 of 18,907
That's what the video mode is meant for. Have you got that enabled?
Yes I had the video mode activated, I still had a mismatch between the speakers on the TV and my stereo speakers. Basically I had to mute the TV speakers, or it gives me an echo effect. I will try it again one day, but I was kind of disappointed with it, so gave up. I wish there was some kind of adjustment to sync it perfectly. It probably does not help that my speakers sit about 4 feet in front of my TV.
1D1DC970-534C-48B5-9FF9-1878F147C440.jpeg

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #12,403 of 18,907

35D0BBBD-E059-40A3-96BC-2C2D4235B124.jpeg
Wow, beautiful system man, makes my Nagra integrated seem so irrelevant. Can I ask you what speakers you use with this setup? Do you have a link to more info about your entire system, possibly on another forum?

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #12,404 of 18,907
Yes I had the video mode activated, I still had a mismatch between the speakers on the TV and my stereo speakers. Basically I had to mute the TV speakers, or it gives me an echo effect. I will try it again one day, but I was kind of disappointed with it, so gave up. I wish there was some kind of adjustment to sync it perfectly. It probably does not help that my speakers sit about 4 feet in front of my TV.

It will never match perfectly. When I engage the video mode, I always mute the TV's sound. HTT2 still does the processing, but it scaled back to make it acceptable for video watching. There is no way to sync its sound with tv's build in speakers.

Feb 11, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #12,405 of 18,907
i am looking at whether the tt2 and niimbus will work together.
however in reading this thread i am thinking (please confirm if my thinking is correct):
1) even though the tt2 is well loved, the tt2 (only?) really shines with the hms;
2) the usb is not as good as the optical input. i am using usb out from my imac at the moment;
3) i may need to look at RF issued and look at an external battery, or is that more for the hms. Does rob watts not believe so - I haven’t totally to understood the (maybe) difference in opinions;
4) upgraded bnc cables are highly recommended for the hms tt2 link.
1) The existence of HMS does not make TT2 non-self-sufficient. HMS+TT2 is really outstanding combo, but TT2 on it's own is still a great DAC. I think for head-fi it is one of the best possible options.
2) Depends on source. In comparison to iMac optical would be better. With sources like Sonore, Auralic, Innuos, Aurender, etc. you might like USB better. I do like mine oRendu better than optical out of my MacBookPro.
3) Discussion about RF at some point became scarier than RF itself ever was. Don't pay too much attention to it.
4) It is highly recommended to have ferrited cables between HMS and DAC. HMS+TT2 would not play bad on stock cables, but ferrite beads do an amazingly good job. This upgrade is optional, but it works so well it's foolish not to use it.

As for Niimbus. It is a great amp. Although it is stil an additional stage which might give you something, but it would also take some transparency from the sound. Try TT2's balanced output for Susvara for a week or two and then return to the Niimbus. You'll hear the difference and decide what you like more: additional warmth and weight from an amplifier, or transparency of a pure DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back