Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 10, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #12,346 of 18,907
The misconception that a better headphones with so so dacs is preferable than a high end source with so so headphones is broken by tt2 HMS combo. I am not much into headphone and use tt2 HMS combo with hd650 and dt770 250ohm. The beauty of tt2 and HMS is that it sounds so so musical and three dimensional even with mid to low tier headphones like dt770 250 ohm that I wonder how a high end headphone like susvara or he1k se or zmf verite would perform with tt2 HMS . Instruments sound like they are studded on a dome around you, imaging is so exceptionally accurate.

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #12,348 of 18,907
Your point of view matches mine.

In general adding any amplifier to the HTT2 (or any source for that matter) is never an "improvement" but a rather colouration (which may or may not be sought after, depending on taste). You cannot "add details" to the source or "improve" the sound quality per se with additional components.

Colouration in the best case, crippling it, in the worst.
I spent weeks, sometimes month with TT2 in dac mode and without in amp mode. TT2 with M-Scaler is what, according to Rob Watts music should be reproduced like from digital to analog. If if doesn't sound right to you and you need something else there, may be a different DAC will do just fine and you can rotate amps, etc.
Recently on one of the opera recording I found a voice passage that even TT2 has difficult time with, but with an amp in the chain it was a murder, that was such a revelation what bad things an additional component in a chain can bring. In my experience with TT2, I really doubt it is ever for the best. You can get more power, you can color the sound, etc. etc., but it is not the initial intention of TT2, it already does any recording full justice, all you need to do is to give your brain some time.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #12,349 of 18,907
Btw did anybody try zmf verite or any other 300ohm zmf headphones with tt2 ? How neutral and distortion free these zmf offerings are ? Any other 300ohm or more impedance headphones with slightly more open sound than hd650 ?
I've used most of the ZMFs with the TT2. I especially liked the Verite with the Hugo 2, which was part of why I upgraded to the TT2. The Auteur is the most neutral ZMF but distortion has never been an issue with any of them.

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #12,350 of 18,907
Btw did anybody try zmf verite or any other 300ohm zmf headphones with tt2 ? How neutral and distortion free these zmf offerings are ? Any other 300ohm or more impedance headphones with slightly more open sound than hd650 ?
I use Verite Open with mine and I think they sound great. I've also got Focal Stellia but those sound good even out of my laptop. :joy:

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #12,351 of 18,907
I'm still unclear.

Are efficient speakers ok to use with TT2 or not? Was there something mentioned that it can harm the tt2 in the past as well? I think I've read it but who knows.

I sure wish I Knew how to read speaker stats to see if the 18w the tt2 can push works with them or not.

Feb 10, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #12,352 of 18,907
I'm still unclear.

Are efficient speakers ok to use with TT2 or not? Was there something mentioned that it can harm the tt2 in the past as well? I think I've read it but who knows.

I sure wish I Knew how to read speaker stats to see if the 18w the tt2 can push works with them or not.
I've no idea what would make a speaker efficient enough to be ok. I won't say to just use active speakers as I've said that far too many times already. :joy:

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #12,354 of 18,907
I'm still unclear.

If your speakers are 8ohms as most are, then you need to look at Sensitivity spec, anything 90dB and up is no problem at all to normal volume in small to medium room. My speakers are 89dB and I never needed more than -10 on volume orb.
Warning: What you never want to do is to go over +5dB, it is very loud, and that's where distortion starts, it can damage your speakers.
TT2 has thermal protection, if somehow you managed to overload it it would trip.
In my case, using it with my speakers, is no different than with my headphones, it stays warm to the touch, never hot. Sound that this thing makes is out of this world to everybody in my house, even my cat loves it.

some more info here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-771#post-16091242
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hug...official-thread.879425/page-480#post-15223674
He mentions these speakers in the second link: https://www.bowerswilkins.com/sites/default/files/2018-08/803-D3-info-sheet.pdf - their sensitivity is 90dB

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #12,355 of 18,907
I'm still unclear.

If your speaker has a sensitivity rating anywhere from like 90 or more, you should be fine with the TT2. The Klipsch Heresy IV speaker, for example, has a sensitivity rating of 99dB @ 2.83V / 1m. Something like that is ideal to drive from the TT2 directly.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #12,356 of 18,907
even my cat loves it.
My dog sits in front of the speakers when a particular Peter Gabriel song comes on and then goes back to sleep when the track finishes. :smile:

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #12,357 of 18,907
My dog sits in front of the speakers when a particular Peter Gabriel song comes on and then goes back to sleep when the track finishes. :smile:
I have to know which song so I can try it for my dog.

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #12,358 of 18,907
I have to know which song so I can try it for my dog.
Mercy Street.

I hadn't listed to "So" for ages - great album, and she agrees.

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #12,359 of 18,907
The misconception that a better headphones with so so dacs is preferable than a high end source with so so headphones is broken by tt2 HMS combo. I am not much into headphone and use tt2 HMS combo with hd650 and dt770 250ohm. The beauty of tt2 and HMS is that it sounds so so musical and three dimensional even with mid to low tier headphones like dt770 250 ohm that I wonder how a high end headphone like susvara or he1k se or zmf verite would perform with tt2 HMS . Instruments sound like they are studded on a dome around you, imaging is so exceptionally accurate.

Indeed, none of cans or amps can add any information missing from any great dac. In fact I find it a lot more enjoyable to listen to great dacs with mid tier cans than the other way around. The thing is that the cans price tag tells nothing about cans itself. There are so many different details that can influence the way you perceive music. I'm in love with AQ NightOwls and NighHawks while they can be consider cheap in comparison with Diana or similar priced headphones, yet I love their tuning and how comfortable they are even during longer listening sessions. Still to enjoy NOs and NHs you need a great dac and proper synergy.

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #12,360 of 18,907
I tried the TV through my M-Scaler/TT2 today, into SCM40A speakers. It's surprisingly excellent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Nkam
Back