Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 15, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #11,146 of 19,009
Seems like this is a common fault. Perhaps it would be helpful if someone from Chord posted here with an explanation and description of what the repair entails and how it will prevent this from occurring again. Is it possible that all TT2 units produced during a certain time period need an intervention to prevent this fault from happening?

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #11,147 of 19,009
Seems like this is a common fault. Perhaps it would be helpful if someone from Chord posted here with an explanation and description of what the repair entails and how it will prevent this from occurring again. Is it possible that all TT2 units produced during a certain time period need an intervention to prevent this fault from happening?

Yes, perhaps somehow in private the people with these units could establish what the range of serial numbers is and that could lead us to pinpoint a specific production period.

Maybe Rob could tell us what might be happening? Does Chord know of a larger batch of units which are coming in for repair with this issue?

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #11,148 of 19,009
This is beginning to sound like the Focal Utopia thread where early versions experienced a high driver failure rate. Focal addressed the problem by extending the warranty to five years for all owners. Chord, like Focal, is a respected company that will stand behind their products so I am not concerned other than having to deal with a return and repair should that occur.

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #11,149 of 19,009
Ok lads, this is a tentative report on the clicking problem that I myself have experienced.

Yesterday, Chord sent me a new SMPS to try on my TT2 since everything inside of my TT2 has been replaced with new parts, leaving only the remote and TT2’s power supply.

Since late last night and this afternoon, I have heard only 2 or 3 clicks coming from my TT2, those clicks were a change in sample rate and the startup sequence.

Judging by what I’m not hearing, I think my TT2 problem has been fixed.

Anyway, happy listening peeps.

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #11,150 of 19,009
Ok lads, this is a tentative report on the clicking problem that I myself have experienced.

Yesterday, Chord sent me a new SMPS to try on my TT2 since everything inside of my TT2 has been replaced with new parts, leaving only the remote and TT2’s power supply.

Since late last night and this afternoon, I have heard only 2 or 3 clicks coming from my TT2, those clicks were a change in sample rate and the startup sequence.

Congratulations; that’s great news! The fact that batteries would work with a TT2 but not the power supply seemed to point in that direction. Keep us posted!

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #11,151 of 19,009
hi , out of curiosity, is there a dac/amp that would be on same level as hugo tt2, but takes a bit different tonal signature, that will be more bodied, musical and has enough power to drive difficult headphones

i think violectirc 590 could be one, but any other one unit do all

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #11,152 of 19,009
Has anyone had the 'no start up clicking' and resolved it with a new PS from Chord?

I will be trying a 12 volt battery Friday and see if that works. If it does power up w/o issues using a battery it still sounds like it needs a repair or new PCB to work with the OEM PS. I find this a bit odd or am I missing something?
My dealer is also sending another Chord PS to try.

When @ra990 posted his video I think Rob posted that it "sounds to me like a inrush current limiter isn't working too well" post # 2480.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #11,154 of 19,009
Anything that you would like

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #11,157 of 19,009
Anything that you would like
Thanks for asking Bro!

I would like a white Christmas without The Trump in the Whitehouse.

And lots of snow but without the sleet and the slippy slush...................

f36a633e5d7ce6de7e22e980050d2206.gif

But who nose what Santa will bring us, hopefully not another lockdown downtown? :nerd:

5435396_825a1.gif

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #11,158 of 19,009
Wow...just opened the thread to see what’s new and it seems there are sudden problems with power supplies and clicking noises! @ra990 experienced issue with a new TT2 out of the box but it apparently functioned when connected to a 15 volt battery. Perhaps he could chime in about that. I’m curious to know why a 15 volt battery would work to initiate the device but not the power supply. I’m guessing the Covid lockdown will have an impact on devices that need to be returned to Chord for repair as well. Hopefully this is a limited issue but it does make me a bit nervous!

Did you mean 12v?

For what it's worth, and I realize that we expect and should expect 99.99% of these to work, mine came in early November and works flawlessly [knocks furiously on wood]. I am only posting this because otherwise the feeling here becomes that all new units have this issue.
To be fair my unit was purchased new in April so I have had it for 8 months with 0 issues until last night.

It may be from moving the unit and simply unplugging the jack from power input port on the back then reinserting it in the TT2. It started (I should say failed to start) when it got power again. Coincidental or otherwise, just pointing out the chain of events prior to the click, click, click.

**My dealer is going to send me a PS so we'll see if that works. I checked my PS and I am getting 15 vdc so it may not be the fix I am hoping for. He also said it is difficult to get stock from Chord and has currently has no TT2's in stock. Fingers crossed that the PS is an early Christmas present!

I've had no issues so far serial is 38217

Yes, perhaps somehow in private the people with these units could establish what the range of serial numbers is and that could lead us to pinpoint a specific production period.

Maybe Rob could tell us what might be happening? Does Chord know of a larger batch of units which are coming in for repair with this issue?

Those with clicking do you have a way to log output power and current? Maybe PSU isn't producing stable power?

Since it's a transformer maybe it's victim to the input AC voltage? How many people having issues on 220v vs. 110v?

Has anyone had the 'no start up clicking' and resolved it with a new PS from Chord?

I will be trying a 12 volt battery Friday and see if that works. If it does power up w/o issues using a battery it still sounds like it needs a repair or new PCB to work with the OEM PS. I find this a bit odd or am I missing something?
My dealer is also sending another Chord PS to try.

When @ra990 posted his video I think Rob posted that it "sounds to me like a inrush current limiter isn't working too well" post # 2480.

Well batteries have steady but declining current...

Dec 16, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #11,160 of 19,009
Looks like i'm not alone with the clicking issue. In my case it looks like the capacitors were not charging. Suspected the power supply at first so I had it swapped with the Mscaler since it was the same PSU. No luck. Had the TT2 sent back to Chord and it was there for almost 2 months before it got back to me. Cost me a lot because I had the itch and bought a Dave while waiting for the TT2 to come back.

Really hope Chord will shed some light on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back