Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 15, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #9,517 of 18,897
Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #9,519 of 18,897
I've found roon to degrade sound

Hey Paul (It’s your ultra Beatles haircut)
I found the same about Roon when I trialled it. You have to disable a few things in a few places to stop it from dicking with the waveform. Even after doing this it didn’t sound right. I’m sure this is because of the processor utilisation which in turn modulates the power supply and its noise. The ’end point’ code has changed quite a bit since I tried it, so maybe it’s better now.

What I use is the LMS system which is a free server streamer system. Much lower overhead processor wise and didn’t have the congested feeling that Roon had when I tried it. It’s trickier to set up but does most of what Roon does. and it’s free.

From memory you’re running straight out of a computer? You should try putting a low noise streamer between the two. The ultraRendu is a good entry level product and handles Roon and LMS. You can spend double that to do better, or if you are more techy you can roll your own with a NUC for even less money.

And I highly recommend something like the EtherRegen to clean up your network connection before it gets to your streamer...

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #9,520 of 18,897
Hey Paul (It’s your ultra Beatles haircut)
I found the same about Roon when I trialled it. You have to disable a few things in a few places to even get it from dicking with the waveform. Even after doing this it didn’t sound right. I’m sure this is because of the processor utilisation which in turn modulates the power supply and its noise. The end point Code has changed quite a since I tried it so maybe it’s better now.

What I use is the LMS system which is a free server streamer system. Much lower overhead processor wise and didn’t have the congested feeling that Roon had when I tried it. It’s trickier to set up but does most of what Roon does. and it’s free.

From memory you’re running straight out of a computer? You should try putting a low noise streamer between the two. The ultraRendu is a good entry level product and handles Roon and LMS. You can spend double that to do better, or if you are more techy you can roll your own with a NUC for even less money.

And I highly recommend something like the EtherRegen to clean up your network connection before it gets to your streamer...
A quality usb cable won't do the trick? I'm not all that techy, after the tt2 purchase I was knocked out.
Idk what to do, I wish it was more or less *plug n play *
So a streamer will be better than any software and cable?

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #9,521 of 18,897
A quality usb cable won't do the trick? I'm not all that techy, after the tt2 purchase I was knocked out.
Idk what to do, I wish it was more or less *plug n play *
So a streamer will be better than any software and cable?
I mean if you’re determined to get absolutely ALL out of your system then yes, a quality USB cable is just the tip of a messy and expensive iceberg. Next thing you know you’re saving for a $10k music server.

Personally, I feel the TT2 is perfectly fine on itself with a reasonable USB or optical cable running Roon or Audirvana.

Jun 16, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #9,522 of 18,897
Personally, I feel the TT2 is perfectly fine on itself with a reasonable USB or optical cable running Roon or Audirvana.

My TT runs perfect on both Roon and Audirvana. Make sure you are set to DSD over PCM. Everything is maxed out, integer is on. You will not get a sound bump from a fancy USB cable. You will get a significant sound gain if you are playing back high resolution files. If you are streaming off Tidal, get a pro account so you can play back masters. What does the end of your chain look like? Headphones? Speakers? What are you listening on?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #9,523 of 18,897
My TT runs perfect on both Roon and Audirvana. Make sure you are set to DSD over PCM. Everything is maxed out, integer is on. You will not get a sound bump from a fancy USB cable. You will get a significant sound gain if you are playing back high resolution files. If you are streaming off Tidal, get a pro account so you can play back masters. What does the end of your chain look like? Headphones? Speakers? What are you listening on?
PC, lcd4z

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #9,525 of 18,897
Just a wrench here bro, it’s subtle but check out dsd vs pcm, chord dacs convert dsd to pcm. That in itself may prove pcm more desirable. Roon converts pcm to dsd then the chord dac converts dsd back to pcm. So.....at least with antipodes server I found pcm slightly more enjoyable into tt.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back