Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 17, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #9,543 of 18,907
My condolences to your cables-sound-different awareness.
Now that the bug has bitten, you will not be able to resist the urge to try different cables to hit that "middle ground." With USB cables, it will likely be closer but no cigar.

I get the cable thing, but most people worry about that .05% a cable brings while they still have a gaping quality hole on either side of that cable that will bring a much greater benefit. A headphone cable? Sure. That will shape the sound slightly. A USB cable and/or a noise filter? Playing for a silver of sound improvement, IMO. All for something the Hugo is designed to take care of anyway. Basic cable with decent shielding will do the job.

Jun 17, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #9,544 of 18,907
Analogue cables make all the difference. It surprises that people still doubt it. The better the conductor quality, the better the electrical properties, like resistance, capacitance. What's not to believe. We hear it with every cable upgrade.

You can even sideways upgrade, like a brighter cable to balance a warm system.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #9,545 of 18,907
Analogue cables make all the difference. It surprises that people still doubt it. The better the conductor quality, the better the electrical properties, like resistance, capacitance. What's not to believe. We hear it with every cable upgrade.

You can even sideways upgrade, like a brighter cable to balance a warm system.

I agree, but the differences in cables aren't as great as, say, moving from a 196kb MP3 file to a 192Mhz FLAC file. A cable can add warmth, affect soundstage-- add nuance. Upgrading the source is changing the resolution of the source, or upgrading the headphones affects the ability to reproduce the sound. That's why I always want to look to components and source long before worrying about tweaking the presentation.

In the discussion here, we have someone on a PC streaming what sounds like base Tidal offerings at 44.1. A cable change will make much less of a difference than upgrading the Tidal account or investing in some high-resolution files and good playback software.

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #9,547 of 18,907
Has anyone tried the Audioquest Diamond USB with the TT2?
I compared Diamond with Curious Cable on my TT2+1266TC pairing, straight from MacBook Pro with Audirvana. I personally prefer the Curious with a small margin. Audioquest Diamond is $300 dollars more expensive so it’s going back to amazon.

But one of my friend tried it and said the Diamond was better when using ISOregen, FWIW

Jun 17, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #9,548 of 18,907
I compared Diamond with Curious Cable on my TT2+1266TC pairing, straight from MacBook Pro with Audirvana. I personally prefer the Curious with a small margin. Audioquest Diamond is $300 dollars more expensive so it’s going back to amazon.

But one of my friend tried it and said the Diamond was better when using ISOregen, FWIW

Cool... good to know. I always buy used cables so the cost is less of an issue. I've been trying to get a Curious Cable but they seldom come up for sale and sell quickly.

Jun 17, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #9,549 of 18,907
Anyone know of a affordable yet capable glass optical?
Make some searches about the Glass Master from DH Labs. I didn't compare it to its competitors, but there will be an obvious improvement if you use a standard toslink currently. I tried again the one provided with my DAC some days ago, after 18 months of Glass Master use, and it was boring. It sounded veiled and felt less dynamic, the effects from my power cables burn in , which i began to notice recently, seemed under exploited, oppressed by the stock cable.

Jun 17, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #9,550 of 18,907
Why go through all of that? The TT2 is going to retime everything, anyway, which is what a good DAC should do. Going optical, aren't you limited to 96k? My advice, throw a Monoprice USB cable on it and focus on the digital source. Take the extra money you'd spend on an expensive cable and go shopping on HD Tracks, or upgrade your Tidal account so you can play master files.

As mentioned, optical can do 192k. Any cable, plastic or glass, that provides that reliably should perform the same. The point of optical is not jitter, but to avoid the physical transmission of noise - electrical and RFI - that can (often) happen with an electrically connected cable.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #9,551 of 18,907
I don't understand.
Trying rune out again... Even though I initially thought it hinders SQ.

It made me set up the tt2 twice.i got a asio chord and a wasapi chord.
Eventually 1 works once I hit pay on *everything *
Why is it taking tt2 in wasapi and Asio.
Not that I know what any of those mean or what I should do?

20200617_181348.jpg

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #9,552 of 18,907
Has anyone tried the Audioquest Diamond USB with the TT2? I've ordered a Supra USB to compare.
I had oyaide 5s continental and audioquest Diamond, couldn’t tell much difference, Sarum t digital did offer improvement and now it’s my primary usb

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #9,553 of 18,907
I need just a more affordable option. I figured a 200$ usb if I can eventually swing it, would be OK enough to take that noise out?
I figured if using a phone... Well the phone to usb b on back of tt2 is really just another noisy *computer * of sorts

See, I don't know much about this stuff, just trying to get the best out of this thing.

Should I really move on from usb cable upgrade from laptop?

A phone actually works quite well as a Roon endpoint. You need to get the camera connector kit (CCK). @musickid has reported on this, search his posts - he uses an ipod which is even better, but I tried with my iphone and got good results. I would go down this path before messing with USB cables. Chromecast audios used to be dirt cheap ($25) but have now been discontinued.

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #9,554 of 18,907
The black TT2 I ordered is out of stock so I am substituting the silver. Is there any sound difference? I heard the silver was brighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back