Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 26, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #3,646 of 18,939
Yup! I find the Diana Phi + Susvara combo works really well. Two very different sound signatures, but both equally impressive.

I9ubc3o.jpg
Are you able to run the Susvara SE or do you need to use the XLRs on the back and a custom cable to get enough juice out of it? Looking at getting the TT2 and either the Susvara or AB-1266 Phi CC to complement my utopia and HD 800.

Dec 26, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #3,647 of 18,939
Are you able to run the Susvara SE or do you need to use the XLRs on the back and a custom cable to get enough juice out of it? Looking at getting the TT2 and either the Susvara or AB-1266 Phi CC to complement my utopia and HD 800.

I'm running the Diana Phi from the headphone output on the front, and the Susvara from the XLR's on the rear with an adapter :)

Dec 26, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #3,648 of 18,939
any brief impressions on the diana with respect to comfort and sq etc? thanks and how it runs with tt2?

Dec 26, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #3,649 of 18,939
I'm running the Diana Phi from the headphone output on the front, and the Susvara from the XLR's on the rear with an adapter :)

Volume with the Susvara?

Dec 27, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #3,650 of 18,939

Do you use a 3-pin dual XLR female to 4-pin XLR female adapter? Where can I find that?

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #3,651 of 18,939
Rob watts talks about depth and space but I'm not going to get that with my speakers bolted on the wall, it's now time to part ex my speakers and my Rel sub and get a pair of b&w 705 s2 then Sopra 1 if I get money from my tribunal, position the speakers nearly a metre away from walls and they will be closer to my sitting position

Dude, please take the time to head to a dealer and hook up your TT2 to listen. I feel like I've been on this journey with you for a few months and it is quite something. I'm only concerned that you may not find what you are looking for direct-driving speakers with your TT2 and are going down another rabbit hole. Sorry for interjecting.

I own and love B&W speakers, but they are not at their best being driven by low powered amps--B&W tunes their speakers with 1megawatt Rotel amps (joke). They are certainly not the least sensitive speakers, I've driven with 18 watt amps before, but if I were buying a set of speakers with the intention of driving them with a TT2, I would also look elsewhere and demo like crazy (Harbeth, Devore come to mind, but I'd seriously research some without a crossover). I know Rob Watts drives B&Ws but I question if that was a premeditated combination. They recommend a minimum of 30watts on all of their speakers.

The wait over here in the US has me wavering on the TT2. Not because I'm impatient or don't think it will knock my socks off, more that it has given me time to think. Though I had a few usability issues with the H2, I still very much liked it. SQ is off the charts. But what is even more important is the way I used it. I don't really sit in one place to listen to headphones. I like to move around the house, the sofa, bed, office, etc. I have an expensive balanced amp at my desk and I barely use it over the portability of mojo alone. The H2 upgraded this entire experience, no matter where I was or what I was doing (anywhere in the house via headphones or in the living room acting as a preamp direct into the power amp of my integrated). It also crossed the threshold for me where the amp on my desk was taking away more than it added (I think).

My point is, I don't want to end up a few months in, honeymoon over, and I'm only listening to the TT2 like 10% of the time while the rest of the time I spend on my mojo. The H2, while being cheaper and not as good, may be a much bigger upgrade for me, since it will impact 100% of my in-home listening. I'm not the type that is going to put up with connecting/disconnecting multiple times per day and carrying around a much larger device with large headphones and a large battery pack. I'm already close to 2-tripping when I have a beverage in hand.

I do a lot of speaker listening, but I have a nice Rega Elicit-R. I really question how much of I difference I'll hear in that system between H2 and TT2. The TT2 is a bit pricy to end up relegated to my living room dac with little-to-no headphone use. A normal evening for me is an LP or two and a few hours of digital, so swapping speaker cables to direct-drive with a TT2 is going to get old fast.

Maybe I'll cancel and take a step back until some more impressions come in or until after Canjam in NYC, so I can listen and make a more informed decision. Really appreciate all the impressions to date.

Dec 27, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #3,652 of 18,939
Dec 27, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #3,653 of 18,939
Dude, please take the time to head to a dealer and hook up your TT2 to listen. I feel like I've been on this journey with you for a few months and it is quite something. I'm only concerned that you may not find what you are looking for direct-driving speakers with your TT2 and are going down another rabbit hole. Sorry for interjecting.

I own and love B&W speakers, but they are not at their best being driven by low powered amps--B&W tunes their speakers with 1megawatt Rotel amps (joke). They are certainly not the least sensitive speakers, I've driven with 18 watt amps before, but if I were buying a set of speakers with the intention of driving them with a TT2, I would also look elsewhere and demo like crazy (Harbeth, Devore come to mind, but I'd seriously research some without a crossover). I know Rob Watts drives B&Ws but I question if that was a premeditated combination. They recommend a minimum of 30watts on all of their speakers.

The wait over here in the US has me wavering on the TT2. Not because I'm impatient or don't think it will knock my socks off, more that it has given me time to think. Though I had a few usability issues with the H2, I still very much liked it. SQ is off the charts. But what is even more important is the way I used it. I don't really sit in one place to listen to headphones. I like to move around the house, the sofa, bed, office, etc. I have an expensive balanced amp at my desk and I barely use it over the portability of mojo alone. The H2 upgraded this entire experience, no matter where I was or what I was doing (anywhere in the house via headphones or in the living room acting as a preamp direct into the power amp of my integrated). It also crossed the threshold for me where the amp on my desk was taking away more than it added (I think).

My point is, I don't want to end up a few months in, honeymoon over, and I'm only listening to the TT2 like 10% of the time while the rest of the time I spend on my mojo. The H2, while being cheaper and not as good, may be a much bigger upgrade for me, since it will impact 100% of my in-home listening. I'm not the type that is going to put up with connecting/disconnecting multiple times per day and carrying around a much larger device with large headphones and a large battery pack. I'm already close to 2-tripping when I have a beverage in hand.

I do a lot of speaker listening, but I have a nice Rega Elicit-R. I really question how much of I difference I'll hear in that system between H2 and TT2. The TT2 is a bit pricy to end up relegated to my living room dac with little-to-no headphone use. A normal evening for me is an LP or two and a few hours of digital, so swapping speaker cables to direct-drive with a TT2 is going to get old fast.

Maybe I'll cancel and take a step back until some more impressions come in or until after Canjam in NYC, so I can listen and make a more informed decision. Really appreciate all the impressions to date.
Thanks for you comment mate, it really has been some journey and I've got another long journey to nintronics on Saturday as its a 3 and a half our drive to get there.
I'll have a listen to the speakers while I'm down there direct from the hugo TT 2 just to make sure, what I've found since getting the hugo TT 2 and M scaler and now use to the sound quality is the sound from my speakers and Rel sub just aren't good enough, Hugo TT 2 and M scaler ruthlessly highlight the speakers being the weak point in the chain, the Mrs has said the same it's really not enjoyable to listen too hence upgrading my speakers.
I want pure sound quality now no sub and speakers well away from the back wall and I'll let you know impressions when I get them on Saturday

Dec 27, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #3,654 of 18,939
Last edited:
Dec 27, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #3,656 of 18,939
Did you try the Susvara from the front?

Yes. Ok at moderate volumes. might run into some clipping at higher volumes.

Dec 27, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #3,657 of 18,939
Thanks for you comment mate, it really has been some journey and I've got another long journey to nintronics on Saturday as its a 3 and a half our drive to get there.
I'll have a listen to the speakers while I'm down there direct from the hugo TT 2 just to make sure, what I've found since getting the hugo TT 2 and M scaler and now use to the sound quality is the sound from my speakers and Rel sub just aren't good enough, Hugo TT 2 and M scaler ruthlessly highlight the speakers being the weak point in the chain, the Mrs has said the same it's really not enjoyable to listen too hence upgrading my speakers.
I want pure sound quality now no sub and speakers well away from the back wall and I'll let you know impressions when I get them on Saturday

Awesome, man!

Sounds like a long ride, but it will be fun and totally worth it. I used to spend a lot of time at my old dealer before I moved to another city. They have chord stuff but I didn’t stumble into that until late as the guys there were mostly about vinyl and nice speakers. I was building my own DACs with the cheap chips and boutique tubes/caps and one day the guy there chucked a mojo at me and I fell in love.

I don’t know where chord is going with this digital amp stuff but it would be cool to see something like a Dynaudio Focus series speaker with half a TT2 in each speaker.

Or what about multiple outputs with digital crossovers limiting the frequency to user-configurable ranges so that we can diy our own multi-way speakers without crossovers and customize-our-sound-AF?

Did you happen to try taking your speakers off the wall to play with position and imaging? Are you running SE?

Dec 27, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #3,658 of 18,939
Awesome, man!

Sounds like a long ride, but it will be fun and totally worth it. I used to spend a lot of time at my old dealer before I moved to another city. They have chord stuff but I didn’t stumble into that until late as the guys there were mostly about vinyl and nice speakers. I was building my own DACs with the cheap chips and boutique tubes/caps and one day the guy there chucked a mojo at me and I fell in love.

I don’t know where chord is going with this digital amp stuff but it would be cool to see something like a Dynaudio Focus series speaker with half a TT2 in each speaker.

Or what about multiple outputs with digital crossovers limiting the frequency to user-configurable ranges so that we can diy our own multi-way speakers without crossovers and customize-our-sound-AF?

Did you happen to try taking your speakers off the wall to play with position and imaging? Are you running SE?
They wall mounted speakers mate not designed for speaker stands.
I'm running SE through the XLR sockets mate

Dec 27, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #3,660 of 18,939
I've started the process to get a TT2. I was looking forward to auditioning first. I get the feeling I still won't see it until February.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back