Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 28, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #3,662 of 19,009
Dude, please take the time to head to a dealer and hook up your TT2 to listen. I feel like I've been on this journey with you for a few months and it is quite something. I'm only concerned that you may not find what you are looking for direct-driving speakers with your TT2 and are going down another rabbit hole. Sorry for interjecting.

I own and love B&W speakers, but they are not at their best being driven by low powered amps--B&W tunes their speakers with 1megawatt Rotel amps (joke). They are certainly not the least sensitive speakers, I've driven with 18 watt amps before, but if I were buying a set of speakers with the intention of driving them with a TT2, I would also look elsewhere and demo like crazy (Harbeth, Devore come to mind, but I'd seriously research some without a crossover). I know Rob Watts drives B&Ws but I question if that was a premeditated combination. They recommend a minimum of 30watts on all of their speakers.

The wait over here in the US has me wavering on the TT2. Not because I'm impatient or don't think it will knock my socks off, more that it has given me time to think. Though I had a few usability issues with the H2, I still very much liked it. SQ is off the charts. But what is even more important is the way I used it. I don't really sit in one place to listen to headphones. I like to move around the house, the sofa, bed, office, etc. I have an expensive balanced amp at my desk and I barely use it over the portability of mojo alone. The H2 upgraded this entire experience, no matter where I was or what I was doing (anywhere in the house via headphones or in the living room acting as a preamp direct into the power amp of my integrated). It also crossed the threshold for me where the amp on my desk was taking away more than it added (I think).

My point is, I don't want to end up a few months in, honeymoon over, and I'm only listening to the TT2 like 10% of the time while the rest of the time I spend on my mojo. The H2, while being cheaper and not as good, may be a much bigger upgrade for me, since it will impact 100% of my in-home listening. I'm not the type that is going to put up with connecting/disconnecting multiple times per day and carrying around a much larger device with large headphones and a large battery pack. I'm already close to 2-tripping when I have a beverage in hand.

I do a lot of speaker listening, but I have a nice Rega Elicit-R. I really question how much of I difference I'll hear in that system between H2 and TT2. The TT2 is a bit pricy to end up relegated to my living room dac with little-to-no headphone use. A normal evening for me is an LP or two and a few hours of digital, so swapping speaker cables to direct-drive with a TT2 is going to get old fast.

Maybe I'll cancel and take a step back until some more impressions come in or until after Canjam in NYC, so I can listen and make a more informed decision. Really appreciate all the impressions to date.

I am not sure the case of the TT2 being low powered compered to an amplifier, comes fully into play. I think there is a reason why Class A goes louder and more powerful than any other class/per watt. (I did ask in this thread but no-one answered.) Not sure what it is, and so I also might be wrong. Linearity of current delivery is important too for making speakers sound full. (As music sound frequency drops, current needs to increase to keep power the same.) ... For an example, the Musical Fidelity A1 amplifier was only 20W per channel when released. Yet it was a full blown hi-fi amplifier. https://zstereo.co.uk/2013/03/17/musical-fidelity-a1/

Some speakers however retain most if not all, of their character at low volumes. I have read that some B&W do not, e.g. the B&W 805. The negative point on this review saying, they sound best at high volumes. https://www.whathifi.com/bw/805-d3/review

Some speakers lose a little life and sparkle at lower volumes. Some maintain those qualities. .. Either way though, using a TT2 direst to drive speakers or using an amplifier for some people. In desktop use, as some like myself use speakers, they will be driven at low volumes anyway. Meaning the hunt for speakers of the right size, performance, and low volume life, makes choosing speakers a task.

Totally with your impressions of the Hugo 2 vs Mojo. Agreed all the way. ... Additionally I find it disheartening that some folk who have upgraded over the Hugo 2, are now rude about it. Personally I won't even criticise my Meridian Explorer that can be bought for £100. Or my Mojo.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #3,663 of 19,009
I am not sure the case of the TT2 being low powered compered to an amplifier, comes fully into play. I think there is a reason why Class A goes louder and more powerful than any other class/per watt. (I did ask in this thread but no-one answered.) Not sure what it is, and so I also might be wrong. Linearity of current delivery is important too for making speakers sound full. (As music sound frequency drops, current needs to increase to keep power the same.) ... For an example, the Musical Fidelity A1 amplifier was only 20W per channel when released. Yet it was a full blown hi-fi amplifier. https://zstereo.co.uk/2013/03/17/musical-fidelity-a1/

Some speakers however retain most if not all, of their character at low volumes. I have read that some B&W do not, e.g. the B&W 805. The negative point on this review saying, they sound best at high volumes. https://www.whathifi.com/bw/805-d3/review

Some speakers lose a little life and sparkle at lower volumes. Some maintain those qualities. .. Either way though, using a TT2 direst to drive speakers or using an amplifier. In desktop use, as some like myself use speakers, they will be driven at low volumes anyway. Meaning the hunt for speakers of the right size, performance, and low volume life, makes choosing speakers a task.

Totally with your impressions of the Hugo 2 vs Mojo. Agreed all the way. ... Additionally I find it disheartening that some folk who have upgraded over the Hugo 2, are now rude about it. Personally I won't even criticise my Meridian Explorer that can be bought for £100. Or my Mojo.
I agree with your comments mate, Hugo TT 2 has plenty of current and the dip to 3.7 ohms will not be an issue with the hugo TT 2 and I'm using 9 watts and it sounds very powerful.
I think the hugo 2 is great but once you heard the hugo TT 2 I can't see anyone going back to a hugo 2.
I would only get a Hugo 2 if I was using it for portable use and my hugo TT 2 when relaxing at home listening to music.
I'm just waiting on nintronics to get back to me today to see what colours they have in stock for the b&w 705 s2, rosenut first choice or black with the black stand.
Phoned nintronics and they haven't got any in stock so I've ordered them in rosenut and black stands hopefully come end of next week then I'll drive down

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #3,665 of 19,009
Phoned nintronics and they haven't got any in stock so I've ordered them in rosenut and black stands hopefully come end of next week then I'll drive down

Blimey!!

M-Scaler, TT2, Empyrean’s and now 705 s2’s.

You’ve really treated yourself this Christmas old chap!

Dec 28, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #3,666 of 19,009
I'm just waiting on nintronics to get back to me today to see what colours they have in stock for the b&w 705 s2, rosenut first choice .....

When you say ordered, does that mean you have bought them or you have asked them to get them in so you can demo them?

Speakers IMHO make at least as much difference to the sound of the music as a dac or amp does, possibly much more. Speakers usually sound very different to each other. Ideally a home demo with speakers is a good idea because of the interaction with the room. You have bought a load of stuff from your dealer so this should be possible.

Dec 28, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #3,667 of 19,009
hugo 2 can drive a very wide range of headphones and has plenty of power on demand especially in the light blue to white region on volume settings. i'd be surprised if that power was ever utilised. for moderate to easy to drive headphones with high sensitivities the h2/hms is arguably end game. although i fully realise tt2 does wonders with low impedance headphones in terms of current delivery. "looking down" at h2 which was the star of the show for a long while is not the type of language i speak even if i were to win the lottery. there are many members here using h2/hms who have the financial means to add a tt2 and do not feel the need to do so as their h2 drives their headphones perfectly. this has nothing to do with the added benefits the fantastic tt2 brings. i want intellectual debate.:nerd:....

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #3,668 of 19,009
would anyone like to help me purchase decent speaker wire. I had a bit of a disasterous day at a high street audio shop, as they didn't know anything about RCA being capable of passing 7 watts, and even if they did, they didn't have phono terminations. Also they said my speaker wire was too thick to terminate in phone\rca anyway....

so then i had to go to the electronics store, and they sold me some really thin wire that they said was capable of 50 watts and soldered phono connection at one end. But on day 1, its already starting to cut out and i have to mess with the lead to fix it.

So i'm thinking of buying cables on line.... All i want is to use the RCA connections on TT2, and banana plugs on the other side to go into the speaker.

This site is cool, but again, i really dont know what i'm doing, so any help is useful, particularly if you can point me to a UK site where they actually make the cable up and terminate it.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioq...H68zfzDzqW16NKSaByQcx04f-8_iGv6MaAvmvEALw_wcB

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #3,669 of 19,009
would anyone like to help me purchase decent speaker wire. I had a bit of a disasterous day at a high street audio shop, as they didn't know anything about RCA being capable of passing 7 watts, and even if they did, they didn't have phono terminations. Also they said my speaker wire was too thick to terminate in phone\rca anyway....

so then i had to go to the electronics store, and they sold me some really thin wire that they said was capable of 50 watts and soldered phono connection at one end. But on day 1, its already starting to cut out and i have to mess with the lead to fix it.

So i'm thinking of buying cables on line.... All i want is to use the RCA connections on TT2, and banana plugs on the other side to go into the speaker.

This site is cool, but again, i really dont know what i'm doing, so any help is useful, particularly if you can point me to a UK site where they actually make the cable up and terminate it.

https://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioq...H68zfzDzqW16NKSaByQcx04f-8_iGv6MaAvmvEALw_wcB

I don't see the options you need available there. I also can’t seem to find a female banana to rca adapter. But, this looks like what you will need, if you don’t want to try to make your own:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KSGZGG9/

Dec 28, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #3,670 of 19,009

Give this site a go, they have made a very special cable for me, I would give them a call first.
https://www.boomerangsounds.co.uk
Regards Clive
Edit They make any cable you need just explain and it's made.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #3,671 of 19,009

I would not advise any old wire, as cable affects analogue signals. As a starter cable I would suggest Audioquest Rocket 11, as it is winning recommended or best buy reviews. Here is just one review. https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/audioquest-rocket-11

I think independent hi-fi chains lease out the work of making cables. They might well be happy to solder RCA terminations. I think they would do that at the price of AudioQuest Rocket 11. Once speaker cable goes past a certain point even larger retain chains can not do the soldering. (E.g. Audio-T can not make cables above and including Chord (Company) Epic speaker cables. (In the Chord Company range.)

I know Rob showed us a picture of his adapters for the TT2. However for long speaker cable runs or even shorter runs, I would say buy proper speaker cable. Poor cable constricts soundstage, and can cut bass. For direct driving the TT2 it would be a shame to mess up on the cable.

If you get stuck with only thicker speaker cables. Search for best buy speaker cables, and try to find a thinner one.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #3,672 of 19,009
Dec 28, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #3,673 of 19,009
know Rob showed us a picture of his adapters for the TT2. However for long speaker cable runs or even shorter runs, I would say buy proper speaker cable. Poor cable constricts soundstage, and can cut bass. For direct driving the TT2 it would be a shame to mess up on the cable.

What Rob watts suggested makes a lot of sense. Make a short length of flexible cable to solder to the rca or xlr which will not affect sound quality because it is so short but then use ‘proper’ and perhaps less flexible cable for the main run.

Also, personally I would always use the xlr output because it is easier to solder thicker cables even if you only want to use the se outlet, just select the correct pins to get the lower voltage.

Dec 29, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #3,674 of 19,009
Thank you all - I now have a few quality leads (boom boom) to follow.

Atlas have also made a specific cable for tt

https://www.atlascables.com/ic-hyper-dd-xlr-zplug.html#

That's a good find!

I found two results from it and both look interesting:

If I search on google for - atlas Hyper dd XLR – Z Plug

In IE11 -- With the first Atlas link, I get the cable that looks to run from, XLR to female speaker plug socket. (That means we could use our own choice of speaker cables.)
Secondly though, if I search in Firefox - The first Atlas link takes me to a cable that runs from XLR to speaker plug termination. (Meaning it's a complete speaker cable for TT and TT 2.)​

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #3,675 of 19,009
When you say ordered, does that mean you have bought them or you have asked them to get them in so you can demo them?

Speakers IMHO make at least as much difference to the sound of the music as a dac or amp does, possibly much more. Speakers usually sound very different to each other. Ideally a home demo with speakers is a good idea because of the interaction with the room. You have bought a load of stuff from your dealer so this should be possible.
Hope you had a great Christmas Triode, it's very awkward to do home demo as Nintronics is so far away but your right home demo is best.
I've decided to buy the focal Aria 936 instead, I've glued massive heat sinks to the top of my Hugo TT 2 To Help keep it cool 14790.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back